NEW ENGINE IN PORSCHE 944

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Snowy Smith

Post by Snowy Smith »

I have a 1983 PORSCHE 944 with engine very badly smoking.
2.5 litre engine
I want to turn the car into a drag racing car.
The Porsche engine is very expensive to do up.
I was thinking of fitting another engine.
Which engine do you recommend?
I need a very fast strong reliable engine.
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Snowy
snowy1s@yahoo.com

porsche engine

Post by Guest »

Thre is a kit available to convert to a small block chevy. I don't know what the name of company is. Check rennlist
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

Theres a porsche in my area that converted over to a Mitzu Eclipse turbo motor.

Re: NEW ENGINE IN PORSCHE 944

Post by Guest »

Snowy Smith wrote:NEW ENGINE IN PORSCHE 944

I have a 1983 PORSCHE 944 with engine very badly smoking.
2.5 litre engine
I want to turn the car into a drag racing car.
The Porsche engine is very expensive to do up.
I was thinking of fitting another engine.
Which engine do you recommend?
I need a very fast strong reliable engine.
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Snowy
snowy1s@yahoo.com
Do you plan to use the stock 944 driveline? If not, what did you have in mind? If you are planing for double or triple or X times the 2.5 banger's power, think driveline first.

How much money can you spend on the whole project? ($s, pounds or euros. If yen, you are on your own. :) )
Oval Olds

Post by Oval Olds »

One of the issues putting a SBC in a 944 is the overall gearing is too high because the original engine likes to rev. While the motor is in the front, the transmission is in the rear so a simple gear would be expensive. ( some years used a slightly modified front drive Audi transmission ) The Mitsu motor conversion sounds interesting but would require more $ and time than to fix the current engine.

The 944 4 cylinder is half of a 928 V8 but I don't know if there is enough room to make that swap.

Go to www.rennlist.com and sign up for the 944 mail list. They probably won't know much about motor swaps but can help in fixing the original engine.

A 944 really is more of a sport car rather than a drag car. If you like the shape of the car, convert the rear to a 9" Ford, put a American V8 and trans in the front then go racing.

New Engine in 944

Post by Guest »

Oval Olds is right. SBC with trans like a PG and a Ford 9" out back. Contact Pete Bothe a Div 7 NHRA Super Gas racer. He's been running a 944 this way for years, very successfully in So Cal. Nice guy, he'll tell you how to do it. You could simply duplicate his car and have lots of fun. Don't have his contact info other than he lives in the Long Beach area. Any decent shop in the area could tell you how to find him.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com