Crankcase vac pump using emission air pump?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Oval Olds

Crankcase vac pump using emission air pump?

Post by Oval Olds »

Mid 80's Ford truck/van ( 460 at least ) used a air pump with a inlet tube rather than the intake at the fan like GM. These pumps are pretty much standard but mounting points can vary.

The tag on the one I have says 17.44 KG / HR no RPM given. Any idea on a CFM conversion?

The target is a Olds 307 in a limited prep ( supposed to be a junkyard motor) oval track class. For my next motor I'm thinking of placing the second piston rings in a sleeve, chucking it to a lathe and taking a cut out of the back to reduce tension. I'm told this is/was a popular trick with sports car racers.

The current motor in the car was a "junkyard rebuild" , new bearings, cam,oil pump, t chain. Used pistons,rings with good leakdown. I did cut one fold out of the oil expander then streched it a bit to get some tension. It was difficult to get any consistancy doing this by hand.

Only one cylinder shows signs of oil consumption and I get no smoke at idle, but probably get some on over run. The fast cars smoke at idle and a bit on over run.

Anyone try a vac pump on a oval track motor?

Thanks
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

A lot of the old air pumps are a vane type pump like a P/S pump, and they use carbon vanes. Oil or oil vapor is likely to mess up the vanes in a short amount of time.
smclendon
Re: Crankcase vac pump using emission air pump?

Post by smclendon »

Bill Jenkins used a smog pump to pull a vacuum in the crankcase in 1989.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by PackardV8 »

Grocerius Maximus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:58 am A lot of the old air pumps are a vane type pump like a P/S pump, and they use carbon vanes. Oil or oil vapor is likely to mess up the vanes in a short amount of time.
The '50s Cadillac and Packard V8s have a vacuum pump with carbon vanes driven off the bottom of the oil pump, so running in oil all the time. They lasted as long as the oil was clean; debris eat them in a hurry, so use an inline filter ahead of your intake.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Crankcase vac pump using emission air pump?

Post by Alaskaracer »

GZ Motorsports uses a modified smog pump for their vac pumps and they work quite well. They have made some design changes to them as well, but they work....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer