blower cam for RB mopar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam for RB mopar

Post by blownzoom440 »

i have too much boost going out the exhaust i believe and i need a new cam.i have a iski int it now.Intake .555 lift264 duration @.050open 22btdc close 62abdc,Exhaust .570 lift 272 duration @ .050 open 66bbdc close 26atdc 81 degrees overlap,110 lobe seperation. if i need more lobe seperation can i have too much? help me pick a better cam please. 440ci .030 9 to 1 blower pistons iron heads ported 2.14 int 1.80 exh 8-71 BDS stage 2 5% under driven 2 x 850cfm holleys h beam rods.it is in a 4000lb satellite i went 10.90 @ 124 5lbs of boost.THANKS!
Last edited by blownzoom440 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idunno

Post by idunno »

I can't resist...what makes you think you have too much boost going out the pipes?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-there's a guy on hre.com/discus that has some used roller cams for BB Chryslers right now at $75 each
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

how about when i have the blower over driven 10% for 20lbs and only get 6 :shock: my EGT's were 1250 with ARC EGT probe 2" from the head.the boost guage is from the front of the intake.[not a teltail guage]
idunno wrote:I can't resist...what makes you think you have too much boost going out the pipes?
"69"satellite,3900lbs,8-71,edel victor heads,I/C,446cu.in W/gas 1250 carbs
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

Bill i am looking into the ins and outs of the roller.i am concerned about the intermediat shaft wearing prematurely and the best set of rollers for the cam.i see you are from UT.my brother set a land speed record on a suzuki hayabusa at 245mph,600hp turbo intercooled,1390cc.
bill jones wrote:-there's a guy on hre.com/discus that has some used roller cams for BB Chryslers right now at $75 each

Post by Guest »

According to my calculations on the specs you listed, your cam has a 110 lobe separation. That's not enough. I would run 112-114.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I don't know much about the motorcycles at Bonneville except John Noonan got my attention a couple of years ago.
-I don't know what he rides but 250 on a sit down bike is truly worht taking the time out to watch the run.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

i was wondering if 114 would be too much if there is such a thing for my case.sorry i did not mention the lobe seperation!should i look for more lobe seperation on both intake and exhaust?just on the exhaust?install it advanced?any help is appreciated!THANKS
Anonymous wrote:According to my calculations on the specs you listed, your cam has a 110 lobe separation. That's not enough. I would run 112-114.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam,motorcycles at bonniville.

Post by blownzoom440 »

NOONAN hangs at my brothers site in the link at the bottom of my post.he goes as speed king rightfully so.yes he holds the record.there are many bonniville racers on the site!THEMOTORHEAD[my brother] beat NOONAN 2 yrs ago for the record by a couple mph avg.MY car here. :D http://www.fotohost.com/fotohost/members/josh/bz41.jpg http://www.fotohost.com/fotohost/members/josh/bz42.jpg http://www.fotohost.com/fotohost/members/josh/bz43.jpg
bill jones wrote:-I don't know much about the motorcycles at Bonneville except John Noonan got my attention a couple of years ago.
-I don't know what he rides but 250 on a sit down bike is truly worht taking the time out to watch the run.
Last edited by blownzoom440 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

My opinion is that for a stock cubic inch engine, you have too much duration and not enough lobe separation. I don't know what your looking to do or how much power your wanting to produce but i would get something in the 230@.050" range with a 112-114 lobe separation. The RB motors always respond well with a 4 degree advance, especially given the weight of the vehicle.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

i am looking to go 10.30 for now[8lbs,700 hp or so] and later 9.90[14lbs,900hp or so]race gas is not a problem using citco 110,VP c-16.THANKS!
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-What your brothers name?
------------------------------------
-I would look at a wider lobe spread cam and you'll probably find out it is hard to get anything wider than about 114.
-------------------------------------------------
-One other thing is the airfilters.
-If you installed a vacuum gauge inside those air cleaners and measured the vacuum at the same time you are at 6psi boost and the egts are at 1250 I'd bet money that the vacuum would surprise you.
-All vacuum in there means the filters are choking the engine therefore causing more fuel to be sucked from the carburetors, and that makes for a rich fuel mix and part of that fuel goes out the pipes as high egts.
-If the carburetors have choke horns then that is really bad news inside of those filters.
---------------------------------------------
-Personally I'd get rid of the two little filters and figure out how to get a serious filter box with a lot of square inch area of filter surface.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

rb cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

those filters are 1000cfm free flow holley .yes i have choke towers but with no choke blades in them.i dont think that egt is high.i am sure you don't want to go past 1300F but at idle i get near 1300 to 1280 if i remember correctly. :roll: i have a old holley signature series that is lower but like the bds air box.when i had the pulleys on for 8lbs i got 3lbs@ 5% under,5%over i got 5lbs,10% over i got 6lbs.my cranking compression was 110lbs with the blower off and open plenum. my brothers name is DENNIS CLANTON he is in the books as motorhead performance in the 200mph club in the bonniville book.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I can tell you this about those airfilters, I don't like'm one bit, on anything, especially on the flowbench, especially with choke horn stuck up inside there.
-I flowtested some years ago and they are terrible regardless of what they are supposed to flow.
------------------------------------
-And I'd cut the choke horns off if you never intend to ever use'm because they are always hindersome to the flow of air into the carburetors.
-------------------------------
-Sorry, haven't heard your brothers name before.
-I did meet Jim Owens once and he finally got up into into the 240's on his street bike.
--------------------------------
-The thing about Bonneville is, you are so consumed with your own stuff that about the only time you have to notice anything is when you are in the staging lanes and then you can't hear the times at the start line because tower is 5 miles away and the radios don't recieve very good, and the noise of the race engines are a problem.
-I sometimes have a day or two where I'm a spectator and then I can pay attention to what's going on, as I spectate from about the 3 mile mark where it's relatively quiet and half way between the radios that transmit all the information.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam.

Post by blownzoom440 »

thanks for all your attention on this subject!i am running on a budget so i got the carbs i could afford..i will get them milled and flowed soon from APD near sandusky OH.maybe i will run alky eventualy with carbs.i can run the carbs without the foam to check the flow. i will ask dennis about bill owens.i am sure he has talked to him at one time or another.i would like to go to bonniville to watch.i would need to camp in my pickup so is there camping near by or just stay on the flats for a fee?thanks again for your time! "ZOOM"
Last edited by blownzoom440 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.