General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rrp
Re: storm vulcan #85 surfacer

Post by rrp »

maxracesoftware wrote:i need to find and re-upload those Pics again

in meantime,
here's a pic of Reher - Morrison's SV85
its an older version than mine with front vertical shaft drive ( non-electric )
but the Wheel diameter looks the same as mine

Thanks, for the new pictures. I'll be waiting the see the reposted ones if you find them. Looking for ideas on setup etc. Also what is the easiest way to set up the removable cutters.
scdiv1

Post by scdiv1 »

drifter wrote:I love these machine I used a van norman 570 for years they were ok for reg work hated the fact you could not dial indicate anything in. But the storm 85 is awesome!

I bought out a guys machine shop in about 1991-1992 and it included a Van Norman 570. There were a lot of them out there and used by many std machine shops. I still have it.....A piece of junk compared to a an 85B but I did use it a lot anyway over the years and made do with it.

Building engines and doing head work in a home based garage in a declining market was not making it.......I sold some equipment that had value....the rest I kept and most of it was/is old and worthless...

A few years ago we got another one given to us from a guy for scrap iron at my present employers place.....I was pretty sure I knew where it was for many years as there was a machine shop in the same town. We scrapped it.....and one of these days I will scrap mine as it is just collecting dust pretty much anymore.

The machine shop/engine building business is sure not as appealing to me as it was 30-40 years ago....and the cost to outfit a shop and pay costs to run it are much to high for the return on investment.....a sad story to me as I spent countless hours in more than one shop not even including my own garage.....
rrp

Post by rrp »

rrp wrote:
maxracesoftware wrote:i need to find and re-upload those Pics again

in meantime,
here's a pic of Reher - Morrison's SV85
its an older version than mine with front vertical shaft drive ( non-electric )
but the Wheel diameter looks the same as mine

Thanks, for the new pictures. I'll be waiting the see the reposted ones if you find them. Looking for ideas on setup etc. Also what is the easiest way to set up the removable cutters.
Were you ableto find the old pictures? Thanks
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i .got one a while backand put variable feed on it and indexible cutters from jammison.its a super solid machine and love it.alsobought bnj block tru.it does everything i need.great machinr that will probably out live me.
jdperform
Pro
Pro

Post by jdperform »

I also have an old 85b. 1967. I do not have the speed controller . I could not get the ra finish I desired no matter what I did. I spend over 1000$ converting to replaceable inserts, to no avail. My conclusion, the feed was moving to fast. I had a customer who worked in the tool crib at Allison Transmission and he made me planetary transmission. It slows the feed down 17 to 1 from the factory feed rate. It takes 2.6 hrs to finish 1 sbc head. This is a bolt on unit. It takes bout 5 min to go from normal feed to the finish feed and vise versa. Transmission was bout 175$.
I had too much money in the thing to sell it so I kept working on it till I got the finish I desired. I don't do customer machine work only for engine that I do. Average use bout 1 pair heads a week and 6 blocks a year.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Good thing you don't do them for other people. You'd have to charge $500 a pair to make your time. :D
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
MLR426

Post by MLR426 »

You need to save your money and buy a used high speed CBN / PCD mill, start out with the roll over gate and bar mounting plate and later add a winfield fixture for fast and accurate head milling. You can also deck inline blocks using the winfield.

MLR426
jdperform
Pro
Pro

Post by jdperform »

I am saving my money. I do have both pcd and Cbn inserts. I rarely cut cast iron.(to heavy) my system works for me.