diamond dressing tools for valve stones and refacer wheels

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bill jones
Guru
Guru

diamond dressing tools for valve stones and refacer wheels

Post by bill jones »

-I'm needing Sioux #1715 style single point diamond dressers for dressing valve seat stones and for the wheels on my IDL valve refacer.
-All three take the Sioux style which is a 3/8" 24 thread about 2-3/4"long.
-There are different carat ratings from 1/5 carat and up, and the price goes with the carat count.
----------------------------------------
-the prices I see are about $30 for a 1/5 carat and $50 for a 1/2carat.
------------------------------------------
-My questions are:
1-what and when do you change carat size?
2-Is this based on wheel diameter or speed or what?
3-how do you determine the diamond is junk?
4-where is the best place with the best price?
5-what about getting new diamonds installed in the old threaded pieces?
-----------------------------------------
-I'd appreciate any input regarding this subject.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Bill,
The "cheaper" replacement dressers have the stone "stuck" on the end with a we bit of solder in a very small recess. If you remember the original sioux piece, the diamond is impregnated through the entire end of the dresser. This way you could actually grind part of the threads away and expose more diamond....with the new "cheaper" units...when the diamond is done, it just falls out. Also you must be alot more gentile with the dresser as it may knock the diamond out accidentaly.

Lately I only use my stones to touch up on cut seats. I may be the only one that does it, but I believe the high speed stone can really sharpen a seat up if need be...anyways back on topic! since I only use the stone as a touchup, I have been buying the cheaper pieces from goodson (I actually believe they are "goodson" branded. I have had no trouble as of yet with their ~$20.00 piece.

Good Luck
Dennis