Engine Masters Challenge teardown question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

well Kasse is on top again!This time with a pontiac!1point lead over the BBC.Finals tomorrow.He had a 1286 avg.Tom
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Dam, I shoulda been there to see that.
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

Please x'plain to me Lucy, other than the words Pontiac, exactly WHAT is Pontiac about Kaases engine?

N-o-t-h-i-n-g. or not very much. Bore spacing? Well, that is a challenge in itself. Otherwise?

Not taking a damn thing away from a very smart man, but his engine is no more a traditional Pontiac than Warren Johnson's Pro Stock GTO engine.

Keep it in perspective. Pontiac guys need a hero so bad they'll bow to any with the right decal on the valve cover.

ok. I feel better now... :lol: :roll: :shock:
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

N-o-t-h-i-n-g. or not very much. Bore spacing?
I read the rules when this topic started and they seemed rather restrictive to me, if a Pontiac is even in the competition with a BBC, that really is impressive.

Anyone know what heads he is using?
bc
Pro
Pro
Post by bc »

Everything on Kaase engine will bolt onto a 389. Im sure the valves would hit the small bore but EVERYTHING would bolt right onto a 326, 350, 389, 400, 421, 428, or a 455. There would probable need to be some sort of main bearing spacer made for the crank but other than that everything will bolt one.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

he just WISHES he was there,LOL.Also the E heads he makes his living off of come from the factory!Rumer is Kaase went with a small bore long stroke combo.He is using the IAII block and Tiger heads from AllPontiac.Tom
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Normally I get to spectate.... but I had some things come up and got stuck up here, oh well.

ClassKing, this years contest would have been the best opportunity for you to put up or shut up with this "its not a Poncho" crap. Take all those orginal poncho parts you want, take the same rules and see how close you get to Kaase, because I'm pretty sure your not going to beat him. Your whining about this crap really gets on everyones nerves, nobody cares that the parts aren't Pontiac. At the same time the BBC in that contest are probably Dart Blocks and aftermarket heads so they aren't made out of Chevy parts, but that 24-26 deg canted valve head on top of the motor pretty much says its a BBC to me. BC is right, the way those rules go you could interchange most of the parts that are used on his engine with any poncho motor, probably with a lot of work the way John does these motors, but they will physically bolt up and in the end thats all that matters to anybody else.

Bret
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

after 3 engines the ford is now on top with 1258.3 to go.Tom
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

BES chevy at 1265.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

heard he hurt the motor in warm up and took 4th!Head gaskets suspected.Tom
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

Stroker - You're very wrong about "no one cares." I make a living dealing with the people that DO care. I simply represent them. If I had the resources JK has I'd gladly compete. Competition is cool and fun. 8)

I thrive on it. The EM has become exactly as most of us knew it would. Another rich mans game. Not whining cause that's life.

But that's why I compete in NHRA Super Stock. It allows me to compete with the best in the country at my own when-I-can-afford-it-pace. :)
I've won class three times. Once at Indy. On a pitiful budget.
So.....let's race.
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
ICTCrob

Post by ICTCrob »

Hey those of us that still take our Pontiacs to the last of the A&W Root Beer stands and local dragstrips would like to have KRE MR-1 and All Pontiac Blocks to deal with the Dart/SVO/B-1 Bomber...and any other great aftermarket or homemade stuff that rolls the lot in this free country.

CK you're pitiful budget also had likely the easiest Factor ever given to a engine combination, using the how many times #1 car in previous years ...don't brag with average results.

I believe Kaase had the highest avg pull of all the contestants 1290pts, and that motor will go well over 6500rpm!

-Rob

WWW.ICTCengines.com
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

King,

I don't mean to jump on your back, but I had to voice that. I do agree that the contest needs money to win, hands down. Lots of labor is one thing but the right parts aren't cheap.

Bret
Motorman 407
Post by Motorman 407 »

Kaase did not blow his head gasket or anything else. His motor just detonated and stopped making power in the final round. When the Autoshop gang put up a 1288 in their final round and Kaases warm up pulls averaged 1282 he had to go way more aggresive than he had planned and he just stepped over the line with timing. Everybody can make mistakes when the pressure is on. The Autoshop racing engines big block Chevy had way more horsepower than Kaases Pontiac 853 peak hp to 820 peak hp but Kaases motor made more low rpm torq average peaking at 762 lbs @4900
The Torq at the initial hit 2500 rpm was in the 620lbs range for both of them and it was only 0.67 points average difference between the two in their qualifying pulls.
That is some stout hp with 91 octane pump fuel and way down there at 6500 rpm.
And I am sure that motor Kaase built is the strongest singel carb Pontiac ever built by anyone.
Racer7088
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer7088 »

Congratulations to team Autoshop! I think they certainly surprised everyone! I think the teardowns will be very interesting to see what people did this year different from years past! It's all about combinations. I am sure Kaase's Pontiac did surprise some people but he pushed it a little too far as was said earlier. It will be interesting to see the write up of engine builder Lennart Bergqvist from Autoshop's winning combo.

We did have a student that worked with a head shop that also worked with the guys at Autoshop but not actually in Autoshop. I corresponded with Lennart Bergqvist who is the guy who won and did not know that Justin worked at the other place! oops! Anyway they did an outstanding job to take down all the great guys represented there!
Last edited by Racer7088 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik Koenig

Houston, TX

http://samracing.com

http://HKRacingEngines.com