Torklink ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PDQ

Torklink ?

Post by PDQ »

Anyone have any comments or experience using a intake manifold by the name " torklink " ? I think it was designed by Jim McFarland and maybe produced by Edelbrock ? Thanks.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-what application are you interested in knowing about?
-I used one for a mild street car at 4200 elevation and it worked OK, nothing special but my combo probably hindered the performance a little.

Post by Guest »

I also would like to know if it is worth trying,I have built three 400sb chevs for various jet boats and im looking to make max torque at 4000rpm.The previous engines all had edelbrock rpm heads with the rpm air gap manifold and comp 274 extreme energy cam,also tried the lunati 230 duration single pattern cam.I dynoed all and they made between 425-450 hp@5000 and 450-475 trq @4200.do you think the tork link could improve the torque numbers? thanx in advance
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I would try the large port version and I'd mess with dividing the plenum and/or 4hole or open hole carb spacers if you have room.
-Marine applications usually seem to be limited for air filter height and diameter and I've always found that marine spark arrestors are terrible.
-So I would be wondering what you are using for an air cleaner?
------------------------------------------
-The ports on one bank of the manifold are shorter by about 3" than the other side, so you might have a cam made with different durations or try rocker ratios from left bank to right bank to see if you can help the manifold pulses a little.
------------------------------------------
-If room was available, I'd try one of the old cross rams like the old (Offenhauser) ones that had the removable top.
--One other thing I'd try if your engine doesn't have any bad habits at low speed, is I'd run a bigger cam (maybe just on the four short ports) and advance it to about 100 degree intake C/L.
-Every pleasure boat engine I ever worked on always ran the best with way too much cam duration, as long as you can manipulate the carburetor to idle at 500rpm so it can come into the dock wakeless.
Last edited by bill jones on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I have lots of room for air cleaners and spacers.As a matter of fact I have a 2" wilson four hole spacer on the bench.Im going to try the new 200cc platinum series iron eagle heads from dart on the latest 400.Do you think that the torklink camshaft that midwest motorsports is advertising has been ground with consideration of the 3"shorter runners? thanx again.
Trev

KASSE ENGINE MASTERS ENGINE

Post by Trev »

Did anyone notice the Inlet manifold mods that he did on his winning engine
Do you think we should all go and weld on those vanes to our manifolds
Trev
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I was under the impression that Jim Mc Farland designed up a cam that was to compliment that Torklink manifold for 4412 Holley two barrel racing on oval tracks.
-I never bought one, never could get the specs to see what they had done.
-So I believe that Torklink (I think that is a company called Number One Performance) have a so-called trick cam available but you'd have to spend your money and take your chances and then be able to try to prove that it was anything different or special.

Post by Guest »

I think I will buy the manifold and cam then send it to the dyno.I will post the results here.Thanx for the help.