porting? standing or sitting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post by Guest »

If I have a full on week with porting, after a couple of days the headaches start & the neck causes problems, had a bad car accident many years ago with neck & spinal injury, guess the porting doesn't help much
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-What Jacksoni says is a big deal.
-I slipped and hurt my back twice in 1990 and that ended up getting aggravated real bad with porting, raking leaves, shoveling snow, torguing engine fasteners etc so bad that I'd nearly be crippled by 3 in the afternoon.
-------------------------------------
-In the course of trying to find an answer I came across an alternative medicine book titled "the bodys many wants for water" and after reading about what water does to irrigate yourself, I quit ALL liguids except for water and started drinking too much to make sure I was watered up good.
------------------------------------------
-Then along with some help from a physical therapist we found the trigger spot and learned where the pain was initiated from.
-The therapist explained the use of anti-inflammatories like Advil and with reasonable use of Advil, ice paks on the trouble spot, and a couple other lifestyle changes I can now do about 8 hours of serious porting if I spread it out of 12 hours.
------------------------------------------
-I have never had a headache or a cold or even a sniffly nose since I changed to this water only (NO CAFFINE) program (which it took me until 1993 to get it all figured out).
-It's like a miracle for me.
-------------------------------------------
-But the sudden stop of the caffine was a big deal and caused cramps in the calfs of my legs.
-Part of this I think was also because of having the sugar of sweets like donuts or rolls or cookies or the sugar in your coffe etc during your coffee breaks.
Last edited by bill jones on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

There is no question that caffeine has some addictive qualities and coming off it can give an unpleasant withdrawal. Classic is the many cups a day in the office, but none or only a little on weekends. Monday morning is a killer til you get back the the high doses :twisted:

Is interesting that caffeine can be a precipitator for migraine, but is also used in treatment!

Since I have helped hijack this to a medical thread, maybe we should get Don to add a forum for that :wink:

Jack
_SWB_

Post by _SWB_ »

Jack,

I had a rust ring on more than one occation (after carefully removing the cast iron chip) and they just went away after awhile, 1-2 days tops... Have I just been lucky or is there a cumulative problem I could see over time with this?

BTW, match sticks are sometimes useful for removing chips...

SWB
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

If it is very superficial, the rust ring will slough off with the surface epithelium as it regenerates. Particles that get a bit deeper will leave something that lasts longer and usually we prefer to remove either with a little burr ( just like porting- a little dremel- diamond dusted even sometimes) or if early can debride with a needle tip. Is a matter of how well it heals and how long it takes. Generally only have toxicity problems with embedded or stuff inside the eye.
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

I never get headaches, maybe 1 or 2 a year.

I have had beryllium seats make me sick before though however. Both from accidental inhalation, and from getting shards of it stuck in my fingers etc. I dispise working with that stuff.

I can't believe how many of you just wear saftey glasses or regular glasses when porting. I had piece of iron fly past saftey glasses and into the eye. I hoped it would flush itself out like all the others always had, but 3 days later it was rusting and my eye was swelled up like a volleyball. Had that one cut out at ER. After that, I have never worn anything but safety goggles since. I use UVEX Stealth Anti Fog Goggles, C99-CAS3960C-PB They have a removeable thick plastic lense for easy cleaning, and a thick rubber flexible sealing ring that seals tight around your face/nose. Since switching to these goggles, I have never had a piece of metal in my eyes while porting in the last 2-3 years. The only time I get them in now is by rubbing them in off of my fingers etc. Then I remove with a Q tip in the mirror. Biggest problem with goggles is them fogging up, so you just need to control the room temp to avoid sweating.

I wear 3M respirator, and Husqvarna chainsaw ear muff/protectors and crank radio all the way up so I can hear it.

I use needles, dental pick, or new razor blades to remove the metal shards from my fingers constantly.

Makita GEO-600 Grinder, with variable speed control. CHA carbides, single cut for fast removal and then go back with double helix for finish work prior to sand roll.
mike_belben
Post by mike_belben »

i wear motocross goggles with a full faced 3M respirator. looks corny, but i never taste dust, have black snots or crap in my eye.

i use single handed dumore grinders with handles i make to hold them like a baseball bat, lgihtweight, good torque, cheap on ebay. also have dumore speed control and foot pedal. very happy with all.
Oldhemidude

Post by Oldhemidude »

You guys should look at the Foredom 1/2hp flexshaft adj speed for porting, I use it almost exclusively and have plenty of my Dotcos resting.

I stand all the time.
redc4
Post by redc4 »

Do you guys were respirators when cutting aluminum heads also?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

yeah...if you've ever had your Lips/Mouth/Face burned by an Aluminum chip..you'd wear a Respirator too when porting aluminum Heads/Intake Manifolds..besides aluminum dust is hazordous to your Lungs/Health
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Makita GEO-600 Grinder, with variable speed control. CHA carbides, single cut for fast removal and then go back with double helix for finish work prior to sand roll.----RyanJ
i "radius" the hex part of the collet in the GEO-600 Grinder
that way it helps to prevent the hex edges from accidently digging into
the Port Entrance ....the radius hex collet leaves hardly a mark if it contacts the Port walls
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
turbo54
Post by turbo54 »

I'm also a sitter while porting. Done it that way since the very first time. I think I spent about 10 minutes standing and thought it was for the birds.

Aluminum is NOT something you want to breathe... It has been linked to Alzheimer's disease! However, I'll admit that I generally don't use a respirator while I do use a burr. When using a tootsie roll though... I most certainly do.
Stimpson Race Engineering

-John-
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

Just read though this old thread. an found a few things that have not been mentioned:

the use of compression stockings.
after my surgery rotations where i had to stand still holding stuff for 10 hours i got rewarded with thromboflebitis (inflamationof the veins in the lower leg).

I had not taken up the offer of getting compression stockings for free form the hospital..stupid me.

IWIW i do all my porting sitting down.. standing up is okay for rough work but for precision work you have to sit down..We don't do microsurgery standing up.
This might sound stupid but i really had to re-learn how to properly sit, and relax the shoulders arms and the hands..after a while you learn how to grab stuff using the least amount of force possible. this makes it so much more pleaseant to sit uninterupted end concentrated for extended periods of time.

hope this helps
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

If you don't, you should, Aluminum has been linkd to mental illness.

Apparently a group of people were studied that were found to enjoy doing long hours of debilitating work which involved breathing Aluminum.
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro
Post by JBV-HEADS »

Sitting, 95% of the time. I use a bench I made myself that supports my forearms and has a vacuum system on the back to pull the dust away from me. The original had a swamp cooler as a blower with 2 filters before you got to it. The cooler pads were removed and aluminum sheets were put in their place. Moved a lot of air and no dust to breathe. Most work was cast iron for circle track. By having the sides and half top, the air would blow by you fast enough to cool you with less AC. Now it only has a blower that only moves about 1000 cfm. It was simple and very effective. It also supported my back very well and gave you plenty of ability to hold your grinder steady. On grinders I use a Suhner USC9R. http://www.ruffstuff.com/pages/grinders.html
I can’t stand a high winding grinder. It’s like riding a Jap bike from LA to NY. I’d rather ride a Harley or BMW. There’s more torque and control. On aluminum you don’t heat the burr from the speed and use less tip dip. The cutting action is more relieving, like a Harley, than the high winding nerve racking vibrations of others. I also was less likely to chew the head off the first person to irate me.
Let me see if I can load a picture of old faithfull.

Gentlemen I can't seem to make it work.
Until then this may work.
http://jbv-heads.com/product.php?produc ... 243&page=1

Joe