porting? standing or sitting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

porting? standing or sitting

Post by airflowdevelop »

This question may seem out to lunch... But the old trend to stay as "normal" as possible keeps us searching!

Over many years, I have found that sitting while grinding provides better grinder control plus much less lower back fatigue. I also enjoy listening to music while grinding, when getting ~40 hours on average into a set of heads, this helps the sanity.

A couple locals, have commented that I am the only person they have every seen sit while porting. They also indicate that they believe to have better control, and power standing?

Is this true? Am I the only one that sits!!! Anyways, if I am costing my self grief, then I would investigate changing my posture to standing, but I would hate to ruin a good thing.

Thanks
Dennis
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

I started out learning to port standing,but went to a shop that had me sit and found it very much easier on the legs and back as you say.But I and the other guy working at the shop w/me are the only people I knew of that sat while porting,till now. :D
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

we must be a rare breed!!

I also feel that the accuracy of cutting is reduced while standing.

Thanks
Dennis

Post by Guest »

I also sit on my butt if you get tired of music try storys on cd im going to by some more cds from Don to listen to .
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I do both but I like to stand the head up on end to do the vertical port walls and this means that you have to basically stand at 4 different heights.
-So I built a lightweight "air chair" that is just a long stroke air cylinder with a butt pad and a mechanical quick latch so the chair won't go down until you lift the handle, sort of like an office chair but with much more height adjustment.
-When you sit a while and then stand to do different areas it's not near a tiring to me (at my age).
-------------------------------------------
-But 15 to 20 years ago when I was porting from 30 to 60 hours a week for a solid 3 years, I mostly stood while porting.
-Now I have a hard time getting 8 hours worth of porting done inside of 12 hours, because my body doesn't like porting any more.

Post by Guest »

I stand coz I'm moving & grinding at different angles all the time, also shifting the head I'm working on, just used to working that way
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

bill jones wrote:-But 15 to 20 years ago when I was porting from 30 to 60 hours a week for a solid 3 years, I mostly stood while porting.
-Now I have a hard time getting 8 hours worth of porting done inside of 12 hours, because my body doesn't like porting any more.
I hear that,I'm 34 and been porting for 7 yrs,and my hands and elbow are killing me after 3-4 hrs of grinding.But I need to stop using my Millwauke grinder that things so heavy,but I can't find an air grinder I'm comfortable with.
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

I stand. I use custom made head stands that the heads bolt on, and rotate 360*, 500 Watt Holgen down the ports and grind away. After 8 hours, only thing that is sore is your feet. I've tried a couple different things to help alleviate foot pain.

I think new CNC programs should really aleviate my foot pain :wink: LOL
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

I do both depending on what I am doing at the time. I don't know how some guys can use those Milwaukee grinders. I have and always use will use 20000 to 25000 rpm air grinders. I have five on the bench at one time with different cutters in each one. My back and joints would be history after 20 years of this If I had to use those Milwaukee grinders!
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
jdeleon
Pro
Pro

Post by jdeleon »

Darin,
What type or brand of air grinder do you use?
How do you regulate rpm when using a long burr or mandrill?
And just curious, how do you keep the slivers from finding your socks?
Javier
javier
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I went to a rubber floor pad so my feet would last.
---------------------------------------------
-I mainly use one Master power #4420 which cost about $260 at various places on the internet.
-I like to slow'm down a lot so I cut the pressure down to about 60 to 80psi and press in a restrictor jet into the air inlet fitting.
-Like Darin, I have about 5 various air grinders with different cutters or mandrals but I mainly use the one MP4420 and then I have two small and lightweight obsolete Skil #146 electric grinders that I use for polishing with a speed control to slow'm down.
-----------------------------------------------
-I know that Mikey Chapman uses Dotco grinders, about 6 to each porting station and I think they are over $300 each.
-----------------------------------------------
-I used one Master Power 4420 when they were sold by Black and Decker and it was an excellent grinder with a very LONG life.
------------------------------------------------
-I wear boots to keep slivers and grinding/welding sparks from my socks.
EngineTech1
Expert
Expert
Post by EngineTech1 »

I started out with the air grinders about 6 years ago. When I went to the school and started learning more about porting we all used the milwaukee grinders. I see other people using different grinders and even the air grinders but personally I have come to prefer the milwaukee's becasue of the weight which I think adds to control and it helps me when I'm trying to move a lot of material. My boss thinks I'm crazy though because I do not use a rheostat, preferring to control rpm by triggering the grinder. I guess its just what you're comfortable with. I haven't had a chance to really try porting sitting down though I think I'd have more control standing but I guess I'll have to try soon.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

WOW! I am not nearly big enough of a guy to stand with one of the milwaukee's! That thing should come with a free orthopaedic visit!

I have been using the ingersol rand pro stuff for a couple years. If I remember, they are 1 1/4 HP, fairly low RPM grinders. The best part is they are under 2 lbs. I am a little confused how you can rely on the weight of the grinder for control? I like to float the cutter in the path of material removal, using both of my thumbs for leverage.

As far as regulating with an air tool, I like to have a seperate regulator on the bottom of my bench, and use the control that is left in the grinder for the rest, Leaving a little more air availible if you get into the thick stuff. The grinder only stays wide open when working that large portions of the port.

My .02

Dennis
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

While very heavy,you would be suprised how balanced the Millwaukee is.I prefer to use my arms to pull the cutter down into the work to remove alot of material quickly,and don't feel I could get as much removed w/an air grinder when I could only use my fingers as leverage.Everybody's different I guess.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

What burrs are you using?