roller cam question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

raceheads

roller cam question

Post by raceheads »

i picked up an old general kinetics co. roller cam,never been used for a small block mopar.i have a few questions i hope someone can answer.it has .615 lift/312 duration single pattern.it appears to be a cast cam not billet.my questions are:(1) should i use the bronze distributer/oil pump drive?(2)should i use regular roller cam springs?(i normally use kmotion #950 springs)they are 245#on the seat/720# open.it is a solid roller cam.thanks for any info.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I'd run the brass distributor/oil pump gear and if the rpm is to be less than 8000rpm I'd run a little less open pressure like I've seen cams like that where they'd be fine with 180# on the seat and 560 to 600# open.
---------------------------------------------------------
-Valve trains don't usually go nuts until you get right near 8000rpm or higher, even with steel valves.
-We ran that sort of cam and the low rocker ratios on SB Chevys and never had problems to 8000rpm.
--------------------------------------------
-I would dial indicate and straighten it for sure, and check all the basecircles for runout to make sure you don't have any surprises.