Cast Aluminum vs Billet Al Blocks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Torquemonster

Cast Aluminum vs Billet Al Blocks

Post by Torquemonster »

Was wondering what the feedback out there is re power and durability of the new generation billet CNC machined al blocks are compared to the conventional race CAST aluminum.

The BILLET al blocks made at www.cnblocks.com appear to offer the very best of what is available providing cast iron block quality ring seal levels, 20-30lb lighter weight than a cast aluminum block yet up to 66% stronger....

these things appear to be near perfect in theory....

if you can use a billet aluminum block that has the advantages of both cast iron and aluminum re good seal, durability yet strength, light weight - best of both worlds

any feedback out there?
ALKYBURNER
Post by ALKYBURNER »

Sorry to inform you but these blocks actually weigh more than most cast blocks by about 5-6 lbs. and up to 8-10 for a block with the cross boltes mains but for the extra hp and reliability it is well worth the weight and money from my view. These blocks are really a great but I have not seen the blow by problems or loss of trapped compression wit my Brodix block compared to the dart. Every season when rebuilding the dart block has flared top of the cyliner out of round like 2-3 thou and the brodix block never seems to move but the brodix sleeves are also much harder, when honing them with diamonds stones( sunnen cv 616 hone ) we'd set it to take out like 10-15 thou and it would only take like 3-4 with DIAMONDS so it took like two days to hone out .060 it even burned up the carbide cutters in the cnc machine when tryed to bore it out. It took two days because it keep getting way to hot so we had to let it cool down between cyinders and sides thank god we had to torque plates to make it faster.
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

Thanks - well I guess it depends to what castings you compare to - but an extra 10lbs weight would be nothing for the extra rigidity, strength and integrity in the block of a billet verses a casting. I'd definitely pay the extra for this.

I assume your comments re Brodix and Dart referred to cast al vs cast iron?

Interesting - it shows that the integrity and hardness of the liners in the Brodix must have more than compensated. It makes sense however.