Sealed Power A-Series Rod Bearings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Sealed Power A-Series Rod Bearings

Post by rebelrouser »

I just ordered a set of these bearings for a stock 396 muscle car engine build, anybody use them?

From the manufacturers literature.

Sealed Power A-Series rod bearings can actually polish the journals on your crankshaft. That's because there's a small percentage of silicon mixed in with the aluminum and tin that make up the bearing-surface alloy. The silicon is there for wear resistance, but its toughness actually smoothes the journals of a crank with a surface that hasn't been optimized! This special surface alloy is laid over a high-strength 1010 steel backing and delivers improved seizure and corrosion resistance, as well as better wall variance control. It also helps to minimize debris embedding, which can score the crank's surface.
CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Sealed Power A-Series Rod Bearings

Post by CGT »

I've used them, had no issues. They are hard. You can kind of tell by how the bore gauge barely even puts a mark on them. They definitely resemble the bearings that are used in late model GM stuff. I've never used them in super high horsepower stuff, mild stuff.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Sealed Power A-Series Rod Bearings

Post by engineguyBill »

A Series FM bearings will work fine for stock engine applications. Tri-Metal bearings are the best choice for high performance engine applications.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist