? SBF 20 degree heads with C3 dished pistons?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fomocosteve
? SBF 20 degree heads with C3 dished pistons?

Post by fomocosteve »

Hi Guys, I have a query, I have a set of C3 pistons in 30cc dished, and I was wondering wether anyone had used something similar with a 20 degree SBF head. Since I have em laying around already, I'd love to use em if I could. Wanting to feed em about 17 lbs of boost for about 800-850 fwhp. Steve
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: ? SBF 20 degree heads with C3 dished pistons?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

fomocosteve wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am Hi Guys, I have a query, I have a set of C3 pistons in 30cc dished, and I was wondering wether anyone had used something similar with a 20 degree SBF head. Since I have em laying around already, I'd love to use em if I could. Wanting to feed em about 17 lbs of boost for about 800-850 fwhp. Steve
The notches are in vastly different places so would do no good ...
if the dish itself is deep enough for the valve lift near top dead center to still have clearance is the only way they would work.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

First off are those Pistons your will be running able to handle 850 hp?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

I was thinking they should be able to do 850 hp as they do that N/A with those pistons, I also thought about the dish and might get away with it, though I have another set of standard 20 degree pistons @ .030 over( block is at .040 and needs to go out further, C3 pistons are .056), and I measured the relief depth, it appears they would need a little bit of valve relief and I could have that done at a machine shop. The other option is instead of going 20 degree heads which I haven't purchased yet, maybe to go for either a N53 or a Trick Flow head where the valve angles might work without cutting any more depth out of the piston and potentially destroy it under load.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

fomocosteve wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 pm I was thinking they should be able to do 850 hp as they do that N/A with those pistons, I also thought about the dish and might get away with it, though I have another set of standard 20 degree pistons @ .030 over( block is at .040 and needs to go out further, C3 pistons are .056), and I measured the relief depth, it appears they would need a little bit of valve relief and I could have that done at a machine shop. The other option is instead of going 20 degree heads which I haven't purchased yet, maybe to go for either a N53 or a Trick Flow head where the valve angles might work without cutting any more depth out of the piston and potentially destroy it under load.
The Trick Flow 11R has a chance.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

Ok, will have a look at em, Thanks
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

Cam is a solid flat tappet turbo grind withy only .519 lift and with .018 lash makes .501 lift so that should help and might work

FORD WINDSOR SOLID CAM

VALVE SETTINGS: INTAKE 0.018" HOT
EXHAUST 0.020" HOT

LIFT: INTAKE @ CAM .324"
@ VALVE .519"

EXHAUST @ CAM .320"
@ VALVE .512"

Adv duration INT 283 EXH 275

Duration @ .050 INT 246 EXH 238

LOBE SEPERATION ANGLE = 114°
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

I would use the isky tool and cut them if they wouldnt clear. Funny how most of the time you build something with the wrong/used/cheap parts that people say wont work, and then the combo runs better than expected.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

Cheers, there's still a bit of meat in em and can't see em needing that much of a cut if at all, I'll see how they go, they're too good of a piston, and too hard to move on to not use em, And at 8:1 Comp perfect for boost.