Gas or alcohol , more power?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Gas or alcohol , more power?

Post by Truckedup »

For example take to SBC's, one on alcohol, one on the best race gasoline ,optomize each one to deliver maximum power on the given fuel...Does the alcohol engine make more power?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
NormS
Vendor

Re: Gas or alcohol , more power?

Post by NormS »

According to the calculated BTU output of gasoline, ethyl alcohol, and methyl alcohol, each at its proper air/fuel ratio, the power increase for ethyl alcohol, over gasoline, is about 8%, and the increase for methyl alcohol is about 12% over gas. Years ago, I built 3 carbs of the same model for a dyno back to back to back test of racing gas, ethanol, and methanol on a normally aspirated small block chevy on our dyno, for a company that produced ethanol.

They were under the impression that ethanol would make more power than methanol, and we told them no. They funded a test to see what the real story was, and found that our estimates for 8% gain for ethanol, and 12% gain for methanol, were pretty close...to their disappointment, of course.

When it comes to turbocharged or supercharged engines, the story is somewhat different. Because of the higher amount of heat energy required to vaporize the alcohols, the power increase with the alcohols, over gas, is even more than the 8% and 12% we see with normally aspirated engines, due to the "intercooling effect" of the alcohols.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Any power adders like turbo or super charger in the plan ??
I personally would choose alky. I have run it for a very long time and have go used to the extra work needed over race gas.
We did some tests on a well tuned sm blk recently and switched to alky and picked up 50 HP 38 torque on same intake
just swapped fuel systems
This was a limited 2bbl carb deal as well =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Methanol is a good race fuel with advantages even if the power was equal to gas. Good torque, excellent throttle response, cooler running.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:34 pm Any power adders like turbo or super charger in the plan ??
I personally would choose alky. I have run it for a very long time and have go used to the extra work needed over race gas.
We did some tests on a well tuned sm blk recently and switched to alky and picked up 50 HP 38 torque on same intake
Suppose we say N/A on both, no nitrous....

And tune it down for street use,something that idles with a mild lope... E85 compared to 93 pump gas, maximum usuable compression for both....I would assume E85 engine would be stronger... and use twice as much fuel...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

A comparison of various fuels based upon their heat of combustion per pound of air burned (BTU/lbAir) we find:

Specific power
Acetone------1399
Methanol-----1328
Ethanol-------1278
Gasoline------1273

The above does not include the charge cooling effect due to complete evaporation.
Evaporative cooling (BTU/lbAir) tell a slightly different story:

Charge cooling
Acetone------13
Methanol-----78
Ethanol-------41
Gasoline------10

These are theoretical values based on optimum ignition, complete complete evaporation and
combustion at the proper crank angle. Actual performance results from a combination of heating
and cooling and ambient conditions.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

Truckedup wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 pm
ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:34 pm Any power adders like turbo or super charger in the plan ??

And tune it down for street use,something that idles with a mild lope... E85 compared to 93 pump gas, maximum usuable compression for both....I would assume E85 engine would be stronger... and use twice as much fuel...
We've found it to be only about 25-27% more fuel,....no where near twice as much. 13.5:1 comp SBC's versus pump gas compression ratio. Really noticeable torque improvement low and mid range and of course the top end power
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Ericnova wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 am
Truckedup wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 pm

We've found it to be only about 25-27% more fuel,....no where near twice as much. 13.5:1 comp SBC's versus pump gas compression ratio. Really noticeable torque improvement low and mid range and of course the top end power
I'd agree... I help on a local dirt late model crew on occasion. Seems like we use about 30% more than when the car was on race gas.

Maybe we should bump up the jets for more HP... My eyes barely water when standing next to the exhaust!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I have only "raced" using alky, but with some of the new oxygenated race gas out there I would imagine the gap has closed quite a bit if not completely regarding the power difference between oxygenated race gas and alky. I don't know really, just a thought.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm I have only "raced" using alky, but with some of the new oxygenated race gas out there I would imagine the gap has closed quite a bit if not completely regarding the power difference between oxygenated race gas and alky. I don't know really, just a thought.

Paul
Methanol is 50% oxygen and 50% fuel. Only the fuel portion produces power. The oxygen allows more fuel to be run.

Oxygenated race gas very seldom contains more than 3-4.5% oxygen.

The number that matters is not the amount of oxygenate in a fuel but rather its stoich value that determines how much fuel you can use.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:27 pm
FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm I have only "raced" using alky, but with some of the new oxygenated race gas out there I would imagine the gap has closed quite a bit if not completely regarding the power difference between oxygenated race gas and alky. I don't know really, just a thought.

Paul
Methanol is 50% oxygen and 50% fuel. Only the fuel portion produces power. The oxygen allows more fuel to be run.

The number that matters is not the amount of oxygenate in a fuel but rather its stoich value that determines how much fuel you can use.
I understand the concept. I get that the oxygenated fuel can burn a greater amount of fuel efficiently. My point is that I have never done any back to back testing to know if or how much that gap might have been closed. Nor have I heard of any testing done. All I am saying is that I have "heard" some say the high quality "oxygenated race gasoline" makes the same power as Methanol does. I have never seen anything to confirm that, but have not seen anything to deny that either. I was just bringing this up to see if anyone here "has actually done the testing" and if so what the results might look like. I am not trying to pester anyone, just looking to see if someone has facts to shed some light on the topic.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 pm
David Redszus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Paul

I understand the concept. I get that the oxygenated fuel can burn a greater amount of fuel efficiently. My point is that I have never done any back to back testing to know if or how much that gap might have been closed. Nor have I heard of any testing done. All I am saying is that I have "heard" some say the high quality "oxygenated race gasoline" makes the same power as Methanol does. I have never seen anything to confirm that, but have not seen anything to deny that either. I was just bringing this up to see if anyone here "has actually done the testing" and if so what the results might look like. I am not trying to pester anyone, just looking to see if someone has facts to shed some light on the topic.

Paul
The comparative testing of fuel performance has been done...prior to and during WWII.
There are several NACA papers that fully described the testing that was performed on NA and
supercharged aircraft engines. I'll try to find a few.