General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: REC Seminar content'

Post by Warp Speed »

Why do we need to change the subject?
It is the basis, and limitation, of the NA engine.
I agree, the NA engine is built around, and limited to, the almighty valve spring. It's been know for ever. But your never going to take full advantage of the available spring technology, or even the spring technology a person has, with out a stiff, non compliant valvetrain. And if you are, you need to change what your asking of it. Otherwise, your just pissing up a rope!
Catering the valvetrain to the spring is the epitome of the tail wagging the dog! Lol
To move forward, we need to except the facts!
Then we can make any and every combination better, no matter the level.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A VALVETRAIN TOO GOOD FOR A SPRING! Just too much cam (read acceleration) for a given spring. A sub par valvetrain just magnifies the problem in most cases. Some cases it will hide it, but it is there none the less.
The first step to recovery, is to admit there is a problem. :wink:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm Why do we need to change the subject?
I agree, the NA engine is built around, and limited to, the almighty valve spring. It's been know for ever. But your never going to take full advantage of the available spring technology, or even the spring technology a person has, with out a stiff, non compliant valvetrain. And if you are, you need to change what your asking of it. Otherwise, your just pissing up a rope!
Catering the valvetrain to the spring is the epitome of the tail wagging the dog! Lol
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A VALVETRAIN TOO GOOD FOR A SPRING! Just too much cam (read acceleration) for a given spring. A sub par valvetrain just magnifies the problem in most cases. Some cases it will hide it, but it is there none the less.
A person I knew very well got cancer in 1983. It was terminal and they were given 6 months to a year to live. After trying for a few more months of life there was chimo and radiation. Lo and behold those band-aids caused the cancer to go into remission ... it was not cured as it was still very much present but, they lived another 35 years with that cancer still being there.
THAT "band-aide" was not so bad, just like some others are not so bad, when a cure is not forthcoming.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm Why do we need to change the subject?
A person I knew very well got cancer in 1983. It was terminal and they were given 6 months to a year to live. After trying for a few more months of life there was chimo and radiation. Lo and behold those band-aids caused the cancer to go into remission ... it was not cured as it was still very much present but, they lived another 35 years with that cancer still being there.
THAT "band-aide" was not so bad, just like some others are not so bad, when a cure is not forthcoming.
Great analogy, fits what we are talking about perfectly! Lol
You can't make this shit up! :lol:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

I thought this was a performance board, where people wanted to learn. and think with a forward direction. Evidently, I was sadly mistaken............. #-o
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 pm I thought this was a performance board, where people wanted to learn. and think with a forward direction. Evidently, I was sadly mistaken............. #-o
No you were not!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm
If the message is a bad one, or one the spring will not handle, fix the recipient or the message. Dont band aid it with an absorber in the system.
Then we go buying hydraulic cams and put another absorber in the system :D
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

paulzig wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm
If the message is a bad one, or one the spring will not handle, fix the recipient or the message. Don't band aid it with an absorber in the system.
Then we go buying hydraulic cams and put another absorber in the system :D
=D> ](*,)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm
Just another case in a different field where the "problem" was not solved or fixed.
But, "band-aides" were used to alleviate the "symptom" and the outcome was ... well, real world.
Your words.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Just another case in a different field where the "problem" was not solved or fixed.
But, "band-aides" were used to alleviate the "symptom" and the outcome was ... well, real world.
Your words.
And how did it end?
Maybe a cure should have been developed. There are many to the disease of the thread topic, but you choose to ignore.
Same ending?
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

Like to see this tech on a Chev V8 - freevalve.com
Mike R
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 pm I thought this was a performance board, where people wanted to learn. and think with a forward direction. Evidently, I was sadly mistaken............. #-o
People learn more from being taught then they do from being told their wrong!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Your words.
And how did it end?
Maybe a cure should have been developed. There are many to the disease of the thread topic, but you choose to ignore.
Same ending?
Actually find out why it's happening and stop it before it starts... Plenty of data out there to do so, we seem to research all the good stuff for our cars and then shovel shit into our body's and then wonder why our health goes to hell in a hand basket.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Your words.
And how did it end?
Same ending?
The same as it is going to end for all of us.

I did not get that that was the reason for his passing, unless I misunderstand what Walter wrote.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Your words.
And how did it end?
Same ending?
The same as it is going to end for all of us.

I did not get that that was the reason for his passing, unless I misunderstand what Walter wrote.

Stan
I find it interesting that when someone dies everyone wants to know how so they can reason away the fact that it's not going to happen to them... :)
Please Note!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Your words.
And how did it end?
Same ending?
It ended 35 years later instead of 9 months; they lived to be 92 years old and died of something else. EVERYBODY dies.
(Making light of this surely is a hint to everyone what your character is all about).

When an engine expires years later because of a different reason, it is plain to see that the "band-aide" worked for what it was intended to do. The ending was not connected to any part of the "band-aide".

So much for your adamant point about "band-aids" not being a productive alternative; they can be and often are.

We'll simply have to agree that we totally disagree and leave it at that.