Can this be reused without boring?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Can this be reused without boring?

Post by travis »

This is just an old beater ‘87 F150. 351w, bone stock other than a 670 Holley on the factory 4bbl iron intake, E5AE heads, dished unmarked pistons .032” in the hole, standard bore.

There is just the tiniest ridge that you can barely feel, surprising with the miles and complete lack of oil pressure, but the factory crosshatch is faint at best...nearly all holes are polished very smooth. Would a 240 grit dingle ball hone and some fresh iron rings have any sort of lifespan? The engine had a lot of blow by.

There is also rust as shown in #3 and to a much lesser degree #7. There was a little water in both cylinders, although I’m not sure where it came from. I had the hood cracked open through a rainstorm a few days ago, but the engine was completely together including air cleaner when it happened. I don’t think that’s where it came from but I don’t know. There was a bit of water in the intake too, so maybe it is my fault.

This is supposed to be a dirt cheap freshen up, but I’ll have it bored if needed.
481F862A-F6F0-42B6-9DD2-1A09B6D6D89F.jpeg
8925A1FB-E815-44D9-8348-E0519546BBA9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Can this be reused without boring?

Post by PackardV8 »

travis wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:20 pm This is just an old beater ‘87 F150. 351w, bone stock other than a 670 Holley on the factory 4bbl iron intake, E5AE heads, dished unmarked pistons .032” in the hole, standard bore.

There is just the tiniest ridge that you can barely feel, surprising with the miles and complete lack of oil pressure, but the factory crosshatch is faint at best...nearly all holes are polished very smooth. Would a 240 grit dingle ball hone and some fresh iron rings have any sort of lifespan? The engine had a lot of blow by. . . . This is supposed to be a dirt cheap freshen up, but I’ll have it bored if needed.
Yes, you can get a few more miles with a dingleball rering.

However, how's that going to make oil pressure where there is none now? Can't dingleball the crank.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:26 pm Yes, you can get a few more miles with a dingleball rering.

However, how's that going to make oil pressure where there is none now? Can't dingleball the crank.
You’ve obviously never seen my work :lol:
Seriously though, the crank and bearings will be dealt with as needed
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Measure it with a dial bore gauge.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

If you are going to reuse the bore without machining ,get a set of ridge dodger rings, even though you can barely feel the ridge it is still there and matches the worn top ring that is still in it. A new ring in a ridged bore will get damaged fairly quickly.Conversley you could cut the ridge with a ridge cutter but i have seen them leave marks where the top ring would travel.
ACL have made ridge dodging ring sets , i don't know if they make one for your diameter and section.

cheers.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Check Travis post count before he posts again. I think we have a clue where this project is headed.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

My professional opinion - NOPE!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:43 pm Check Travis post count before he posts again. I think we have a clue where this project is headed.
I’m not sure what you mean. No funny business here...it was a serious question. Where is this project heading??
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

hoodeng wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:41 pm If you are going to reuse the bore without machining ,get a set of ridge dodger rings, even though you can barely feel the ridge it is still there and matches the worn top ring that is still in it. A new ring in a ridged bore will get damaged fairly quickly.Conversley you could cut the ridge with a ridge cutter but i have seen them leave marks where the top ring would travel.
ACL have made ridge dodging ring sets , i don't know if they make one for your diameter and section.

cheers.
Thanks for the suggestion...I’ve never heard of those rings before but will take a look.

I’m really on the fence about trying to cut the ridge. My cutter does leave marks and none I’ve seen cut very smoothly. I’ve certainly built some very low buck deals with cylinder walls worse than this, but I’d like this to be a bit better than that.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

If it needs a ridge reamer to get the pistons out, then it needs to be bored anyway.

How big is the hole?
Measure the hole, and then you know

How big is the ridge?
measure it

10 minute procedure.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

modok wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:45 pm If it needs a ridge reamer to get the pistons out, then it needs to be bored anyway.

How big is the hole?
Measure the hole.
It's so simple!

Can't measure a hole?
then what the heck you doin?
Take it to somebody who can.
I measured a few earlier...couldn’t do it right now though :wink: 4.005 to 4.010 about an inch down in the hole
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

She's clapped out.

You COULD go ahead and ridge ream, and carefully get a piston out, and find out the ring grooves are worn out, then what? You need new pistons anyway.
Nobody is going to re-machine your pistons for wider rings and knerl the skirts, it's not 1975 anymore, and good thing, pistons are cheap now, CNC machined with PCD
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

modok wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm She's clapped out.

You COULD go ahead and ridge ream, and carefully get a piston out, and find out the ring grooves are worn out, then what? You need new pistons anyway.
Nobody is going to re-machine your pistons for wider rings and knerl the skirts, it's not 1975 anymore, and good thing, pistons are cheap now, CNC machined with PCD
That was going to be a major determining factor anyway...I just didn’t get that far today. And most likely the pistons are thoroughly worn out as well.

Oh well...I needed to do something about the 7.9-1 compression anyway :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Would you prefer being bored or infected? :)

If it cleans up ok then run it you can always go further in the future.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

modok wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm She's clapped out.

Funny you should mention the ring spacers and skirt knurling. I had a couple of mechanics that flipped cars on the side.
Dingle berry, ring spacers and knurl the crap out of the skirts. It always annoyed me anyway. I sold off the knurler but told them I sold off both. Boy, were they upset. I always felt I saved an unsuspecting buyer some grief.

You are correct, by the 70s there was zero need for any of that. That and valve guide knurling. That stuff kind of worked in the 40s and 50s and stubbornly hung around through the 60s. It took a while for the light bulb to come on in many corners of the world.

I kept that perfect circle ring spacer tool. I had a cutter made to 1/16 diameter. I used it to clean up pinched rings on my blown engine from time to time at the track.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."