New Ford Intake Manifold under development

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: New Ford Intake Manifold under development

Post by swampbuggy »

F-BIRD....BLP in Florida thought about the stretched out carb. a few years back and did just that. I would guess that you have seen it already ??? Mark H.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:58 pm F-BIRD....BLP in Florida thought about the stretched out carb. a few years back and did just that. I would guess that you have seen it already ??? Mark H.
No I haven't. But no surprise someone has thought along these lines in 4 bbl carb design progression.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I see it. Yes thats the idea.
scott woodward

Post by scott woodward »

Looks great Scott.
What heads do you have to go with the manifold?
Scott

Post by Scott »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 am Looks good. Who's making it?
Joe I make all my own patterns , and occasionally I get my CNC guy to machine tooling .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:13 pm I just bought a sc1 intake for a project but had to cut flanges off and remove 1.5 inches to get to fit 9.2. No one makes the 9.2 height in that style intake.4500 flange.
Steve , I've been manufacturing 4500 carb flange Street & Race Intake manifolds for years .
I do all sorts of custom intakes to suit various cylinder head configurations .
Here's a couple pics of my current AirSupremacy castings .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:53 am
Scott wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:10 am Will be available with or without the valley tray . Windsor or Cleveland
Looks good ... in development of some of the Big Block Ford stuff, the number 4 & 5 runners, (Ford cylinder numbering), benefit from a more curved runner design.

The Cleveland ports in the heads are not at as much of an angle like the big block cylinder heads, though.

The highest single 4 barrel power in intake manifold testing for a Cleveland engine I have witnessed was a spider cut from a D3 NASCAR manifold and welded to a Cleveland manifold base.
After seeing that about 10 years ago; I have often wondered why an intake manifold like that was never produced.
Other than the regular Cleveland was not really popular back then.
I've tried the " more cured runner design " on 4 & 5 , Great in CFD and great on a flow bench " Makes great power but struggles to pull fuel on those cylinders the entire rpm range . On some engines it will stop \ Stall . It takes a trick carb guy to sort it out .
i find it worse when the plenum is longer on the Ford stuff too.
New design is straighter, better line of sight that pulls fuel ! Air flow compromise yes , but the engine likes it .
Scott

Post by Scott »

Current AirSupremacy Ford intake
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If the front - rear throttle bores in the carb body were spread apart and the carb body made longer. And the plenum made longer then the intake runners could be straighter and more Equal length. A longer 4 bbl.

Or maybe two giant two-barrels? :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

That's freaking cool. Wish I could do my own patterns.
Joe Facciano
Scott

Post by Scott »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:15 pm If the front - rear throttle bores in the carb body were spread apart and the carb body made longer. And the plenum made longer then the intake runners could be straighter and more Equal length. A longer 4 bbl.

Or maybe two giant two-barrels? :)

Yes great idea MadBill
I've provided raw custom rubbed out molds for a handful of engine builders using big bore wide and long carbs as per your comment .
If only those carbs were a standard affordable part :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:54 pm That's freaking cool. Wish I could do my own patterns.
As you know Joe it's a very time consuming process , not everyone can grasp it but if your interested enough you can learn to make patterns. Time & patience is the key . I'm a plumber by trade and I learnt to pattern make after hours and every spare moment I had .

Scott
SCM Engine Developments
Scott

Post by Scott »

JoePorting
I also have access to a few guys that are extremely talented at CAD modelling / programing / design and machining .
Check out these patterns I have for a cast Ford cylinder head I started manufacturing a couple of years ago .
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Super nice work Scott. I'm had my first four castings made by printed sand molds. They have a standard Cope and Drag but use printed sand molds for the intake/exhaust/water ports. It might be the new way to go for low volume heads and manifolds. This is only the second head Buddybar Casting (www.buddybarcasting.com) has tried with this method, so it's pretty new. So far it looks good, but won't know for sure until I run it.
Joe Facciano
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Scott wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 pm Current AirSupremacy Ford intake
That is awesome work Scott. Looks like new design has some nascar heritage to it
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A