New Ford Intake Manifold under development

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Scott

Re: New Ford Intake Manifold under development

Post by Scott »

MELWAY wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:21 am
Scott wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 pm Current AirSupremacy Ford intake
That is awesome work Scott. Looks like new design has some nascar heritage to it
Thanks Melway,

I PM'd you a few inside pictures :D
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:15 pm If the front - rear throttle bores in the carb body were spread apart and the carb body made longer. And the plenum made longer then the intake runners could be straighter and more Equal length. A longer 4 bbl.

Or maybe two giant two-barrels? :)
Yes, or 2 big 2bbls. Spread to the best position.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Hello Scott

Beautiful awesome tooling casting and methods on display!

Would a couple of big 2 barrels like this help distribution?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Look at how each runner puls from the traditional style open/single/square plenum. Its hard enough to control how each runner pulls from a fairly uniform shape plenum. When you make the plenum longer you now have put the 4 outter runners up at the ends of a plenum and the 4 inners are right in a big ooen space. This messes fuel distribution up even more. You can fix this by pulling the ends of the plenum out further , moving the 4 inner runners out a little 2 toward the front and 2 toward thebrear and reduce the inner plenum area so the plenum is not too big, yo then need to bring the runners up higher to clear engine components due to the longer 'moved out' plenum setup,,, ah now that sounds like a tunnel ram!
Stretching the plenum out will straighten the runner and port alignment but wont help distribution at all. This has been tried before, if it was the cure we would all be running dual downdraft webers in line, an inline 4 barrel or 2 sideways 2 barrels inline. A long thin plenum does not help and for 2 conventionally mounted 2 barrels (aka stretched 4 barrel) a longer full/traditional width plenum does not help.
Being we are talking 90* V8 crank then the firing patterns we have to use also throw in runners that draw right next to each other, thats easier to control in a uniform plenum arrangement.
180* crank, whole different ballgame.
Craig.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 pm Look at how each runner pulls from the traditional style open/single/square plenum. Its hard enough to control how each runner pulls from a fairly uniform shape plenum. When you make the plenum longer you now have put the 4 outer runners up at the ends of a plenum and the 4 inners are right in a big open space. This messes fuel distribution up even more. You can fix this by pulling the ends of the plenum out further , moving the 4 inner runners out a little 2 toward the front and 2 toward the rear and reduce the inner plenum area so the plenum is not too big, you then need to bring the runners up higher to clear engine components due to the longer 'moved out' plenum setup,,, ah now that sounds like a tunnel ram!
Stretching the plenum out will straighten the runner and port alignment but wont help distribution at all. This has been tried before, if it was the cure we would all be running dual downdraft webers in line, an inline 4 barrel or 2 sideways 2 barrels inline. A long thin plenum does not help and for 2 conventionally mounted 2 barrels (aka stretched 4 barrel) a longer full/traditional width plenum does not help.
Being we are talking 90* V8 crank then the firing patterns we have to use also throw in runners that draw right next to each other, that's easier to control in a uniform plenum arrangement.
I totally agree that modifying the top of this wonderful manifold would not be ideal as it is definitely configured for a single carb or throttle body.

What I was referring to was that Scott had answered Bill with a "great idea" comment about setting up a tall spider like manifold like this where all four outer runners would be equaled up with the inner 4 runners and throttle to head port entries would all be the same angle, size and volume. Using two big 2 barrels like the pic I posted would allow the carb to be split to say that the air fuel distributions would be much more equal and balanced. No intake system except ITB system will even the pulses in a 90 degree V-8 so that is a given. It's somewhat obvious that when ultimate power in an N/A engine is desired in applications other than maybe drag racing that even fuel mixture distribution is needed that runner direction into symmetrical port V-8 heads it's the best. Prime example is your awesome Australian Super Cars. I am not a big fan of hanging onto carburetors for performance applications and I still believe sequential port injection is better for even fuel mixture distribution.

Cheers
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Scott wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 am Both Street Supremacy and AirSupremacy Ford Intake Manifolds get an update .
Pictured are some basic CAD pictures showing my new Race Intake Manifold to suit 9.2" & 9.5" decks .
Upgrades include . Straighter end runners , Better Line on sight , smaller plenum , substantially lighter casting . Multiple runner core sizes .
CAD still requires a few touch ups
Scott,
I am still working on my SBF book. When these intakes become available can I get a loner to test? Engine power range would be from about 650 to 800 hp.
Also could you PM me with a tel # so I can talk to you about this intake.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am
cjperformance wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 pm Look at how each runner pulls from the traditional style open/single/square plenum. Its hard enough to control how each runner pulls from a fairly uniform shape plenum. When you make the plenum longer you now have put the 4 outer runners up at the ends of a plenum and the 4 inners are right in a big open space. This messes fuel distribution up even more. You can fix this by pulling the ends of the plenum out further , moving the 4 inner runners out a little 2 toward the front and 2 toward the rear and reduce the inner plenum area so the plenum is not too big, you then need to bring the runners up higher to clear engine components due to the longer 'moved out' plenum setup,,, ah now that sounds like a tunnel ram!
Being we are talking 90* V8 crank then the firing patterns we have to use also throw in runners that draw right next to each other, that's easier to control in a uniform plenum arrangement.
I totally agree that modifying the top of this wonderful manifold would not be ideal as it is definitely configured for a single carb or throttle body.

What I was referring to was that Scott had answered Bill with a "great idea" comment about setting up a tall spider like manifold like this where all four outer runners would be equaled up with the inner 4 runners and throttle to head port entries would all be the same angle, size and volume. Using two big 2 barrels like the pic I posted would allow the carb to be split to say that the air fuel distributions would be much more equal and balanced. No intake system except ITB system will even the pulses in a 90 degree V-8 so that is a given. It's somewhat obvious that when ultimate power in an N/A engine is desired in applications other than maybe drag racing that even fuel mixture distribution is needed that runner direction into symmetrical port V-8 heads it's the best. Prime example is your awesome Australian Super Cars. I am not a big fan of hanging onto carburetors for performance applications and I still believe sequential port injection is better for even fuel mixture distribution.

Cheers
Newold1 , ok are you meaning more of a longer and wider plenum, im not sure i have pictured in my mind correctly what you and Bill are getting at as far as how all the runners would be at the same length etc and enter the plenum in the same fashion :-k due to the intake port angles on the Cleveland based heads im picturing one whole bank worth of runners being snaked rearward and the other bank snaked forward to get near the same at the plenum OR 4 runners from one bank being way forward of the other bank? 6.30am here ,, you're twisting my brain ! :P
Craig.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am

Cheers
I've tried lengthening the Plenum . Predictable! . Higher rpm power gains at the expense of lower and some mid range . It tested ok , But !! What I didn't like was the A/F's and egt data collected . Certain end runners / cylinders ran very lean both in data and plug reading .
They would not respond at all to carb adjustments! Zero response ! We needed a custom carb to make it work . We got it Reliable and safe on the tune but a ridiculous amount of tuning . I wouldn't want to manufacture an Intake Manifold for customers that required so much Induction tuning .
Hence the new design ! Slightly longer runner than my first Offering. Straighter , better line of sight runner . Plenum not as long as the first model , Floor height changed , Different taper etc . Completely different 😀

I like a wider carb though , placing the Carbs booster directly over the runner entry 😎
Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Craig ,
Yes the port / bank offset is a killer . Even worse on cylinder heads that have longer ports , wider deeper cylinder head castings . It's all a compromise.
6t6mustang

Post by 6t6mustang »

How about a tunnel ram next...🤩 oh, and does anyone carry your stuff in the states. Been trying to get the street intake for about 4 years now with no luck?
Scott

Post by Scott »

David Vizard wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am
Scott wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 am Both Street Supremacy and AirSupremacy Ford Intake Manifolds get an update .
Pictured are some basic CAD pictures showing my new Race Intake Manifold to suit 9.2" & 9.5" decks .
Upgrades include . Straighter end runners , Better Line on sight , smaller plenum , substantially lighter casting . Multiple runner core sizes .
Scott,
I am still working on my SBF book. When these intakes become available can I get a loner to test? Engine power range would be from about 650 to 800 hp.
DV

David,
I sent you a PM
Kenny M

Post by Kenny M »

I just completed a 9.5 deck 441 CI. NA. Engine, using Scotts Heads and his old Manifold. This power was made with a small low lash 268 .790 .730 lift camshaft and stock location 2V style exhaust ports. There is more power to be found in this engine. This was just a few baseline runs with a very long street header. Scott is a wonderful person, super passionate about engine development and builds some Killer stock looking heads.

Ken Maisano
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Scott wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:36 am
David Vizard wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am
Scott,
DV

David,
I sent you a PM
Scott,

Looked at my PM's - did not receive yours to me.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Fatman
Guru
Guru

Post by Fatman »

Kenny M wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 am I just completed a 9.5 deck 441 CI. NA. Engine, using Scotts Heads and his old Manifold. This power was made with a small low lash 268 .790 .730 lift camshaft and stock location 2V style exhaust ports. There is more power to be found in this engine. This was just a few baseline runs with a very long street header. Scott is a wonderful person, super passionate about engine development and builds some Killer stock looking heads.

Ken Maisano
Was that peak power? Can you post a dyno sheet.

which heads are they? these ones? http://www.scmenginedevelopments.com/-4 ... heads.html
Kenny M

Post by Kenny M »

#4 Head. Note.. I added a quart and lowered vacuum and oil pressure came back on the top. Did not pull it past 8100.
NO4.jpg