Loss of torque with EFI?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Loss of torque with EFI?

Post by RevTheory »

I'd sure like to hear about what you find, Carl.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

No problem, I'll share what I find.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Any good well tuned port or inlet injected EFI system will pull at or equal performance than a carbureted engine system from idle up to near WOT. What the heck does 2500 rpms and up have to do with it! You need to work with good EFI before you make a statement like that!
The effective powerband of any engine can be radically different from another EFI or Carb and its the effective powerband range and location that determines how that engine will accelerate from any given rpm under load.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

I'll be testing a carb against a port injection set up for the Race Engine Challenge this year.

The port set up didn't make as much low end TQ as the carb before...going to give it another try. HP peak was within 1 or 2

The new set up will have a new and better carb as well.

I remember years ago when the EMC only allowed carbs...the EFI guys on here were crying foul!!! It was crazy,, they said the only reason the EMC wouldn't allow EFI was because it would be a sweep by the EFI guys and that would look real bad on the carb manufacturers and sponsors

It was a grand conspiracy against EFI

Well, when they did allow EFI to compete against the carbs...that sweep never happened.. and it's still not happening
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 pm I'll be testing a carb against a port injection set up for the Race Engine Challenge this year.

The port set up didn't make as much low end TQ as the carb before...going to give it another try. HP peak was within 1 or 2

The new set up will have a new and better carb as well.

I remember years ago when the EMC only allowed carbs...the EFI guys on here were crying foul!!! It was crazy,, they said the only reason the EMC wouldn't allow EFI was because it would be a sweep by the EFI guys and that would look real bad on the carb manufacturers and sponsors

It was a grand conspiracy against EFI

Well, when they did allow EFI to compete against the carbs...that sweep never happened.. and it's still not happening
Thats what I have seen with the exception of boosted applications.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

So what do the EFI guys think the problem is?

It's not a bias one way or the other on the builders choice,, they want the most points to win..

You would think the carb is the underdog just do to the fact you don't have enough time in the competition to pull the bowls and make jet changes... i did three last year in the 45 minutes allowed , while making some pulls between each one..it was still slightly off

With port EFI I would think you can make hundreds of changes in 45 minutes, even during a pull. Your fuel grid is right there on your laptop...
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

At wide open throttle ... it is not good to try and best mother nature for sheer power.

Maybe that will change sometime in the future but, not today.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:14 am At wide open throttle ... it is not good to try and best mother nature for sheer power.

Maybe that will change sometime in the future but, not today.
=D>
Mike Laws Performance
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am... you don't have enough time in the competition to pull the bowls and make jet changes... i did three last year in the 45 minutes allowed , while making some pulls between each one..it was still slightly off...
Sounds like a good application for those conversion kits with elbows that screw into the metering blocks to point the jets up, accessible with a locking screwdriver through sight plugs threaded into the top of bowl.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MadBill wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm
gmrocket wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am... you don't have enough time in the competition to pull the bowls and make jet changes... i did three last year in the 45 minutes allowed , while making some pulls between each one..it was still slightly off...
Sounds like a good application for those conversion kits with elbows that screw into the metering blocks to point the jets up, accessible with a locking screwdriver through sight plugs threaded into the top of bowl.
Carburetors with electronic feedback are/were available. Remember the Holley "Mile-A-Dial" which could richen or lean a carb air/fuel ratio with simply the twist of a potentiometer ...? Never was further pursued after the 80's. Along with the feedback Quadrajet.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

DV reported great success with the Holley system: near-instant tuning to half-jet precision...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Seems this discussion will be going on for a long time to come. Tuner has put it best, carburetors meter fuel in a continuous stream, and changes as the needs change instantly. Injection meters in pulses and at low speeds very short ones, making the air fuel mix inconsistent. A homogenous mix make more power, requires less fuel, and less timing. I have a customer that recently switched from an extremely large carb (another carb builder) that wasn't calibrated well at parts of it's operation to a high end injection, and lost 50 HP... 650" at 1500 HP.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am You would think the carb is the underdog just do to the fact you don't have enough time in the competition to pull the bowls and make jet changes... i did three last year in the 45 minutes allowed , while making some pulls between each one..it was still slightly off
Why all the jetting at the EMC? Short on tuning time prior to the contest?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

CGT wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 pm
gmrocket wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am You would think the carb is the underdog just do to the fact you don't have enough time in the competition to pull the bowls and make jet changes... i did three last year in the 45 minutes allowed , while making some pulls between each one..it was still slightly off
That and I waited till the last minute..plus,,Headers were changed slightly, cam advanced 5, lash change, thinner oil and added a carb spacer...it was also brutally hot and muggy at the competition..
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:10 pm
CGT wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 pm
That and I waited till the last minute..plus,,Headers were changed slightly, cam advanced 5, lash change, thinner oil and added a carb spacer...it was also brutally hot and muggy at the competition..
In weather that was 100 F, 28.4", 100 % humidity, I have dropped six Holley jet sizes in a carb that was previously tuned at 55-60 deg. F, 30.2" baro, 40 % humidity.