Under Performers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hysteric
Pro
Pro
Under Performers

Post by hysteric »

Was reading an old post from Joe Sherman and he stated that it was amazing how there were so many under performers at the track.

So my question is since so many guys build their own motors where do you think they miss it?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Under Performers

Post by rustbucket79 »

In their car
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Yes... Combination, Combination, Combination... the progressive nitrous controller really exposed how less hp and better managed hp can run much faster than just all out hp in a nitrous combo.

Regardless of power adder or NA the entire combo has to be in order.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Could be so many things..most common (guilty too) is overcamming.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Overcamming, too big a cylinder head and poor tuning. I would say that is for the engine side. I have been guilty of a bad vehicle package combo a time or two.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

To me it seems like it means not making the most of the power that you have...

People always ask which cam/heads/intake for power or what to change on the engine when they are running a 2500 stall and 3.0 gearing.. There is money for cams, fancy CNC heads, ported intakes but never any left over for a 5500 stall and 4.11 gear :)
340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

The block prep is where a lot of people miss the mark. Between that and part selection, they leave 30 to 40 hp on the table. Ring/piston selection is where many of them miss it.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

rustbucket79 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:04 pm In their car

That’s what I see a lot.

There’s the piece you take off the dyno as one part of the combo....... then everything else is “the car”.

I’ll also add that when the problem is mostly the car...... it’s usually/often a lot harder to fix than finding a little more power.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I have went from 4.80's to 5.00's with more power till I got converter & gearing correct. This is not uncommon but often over looked.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

As pauzig said, converter and gear are the biggest misses out there. Has been since I started driving in 1979. That's 40 years. Converter and gear.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I've seen a lot of what is similar to tolerance stacking over the years. You know, "I got a custom cam recommendation but this one is really pretty close and is on sale at Summit." "I probably should've gone with 1.65 rockers but I had these on the shelf." "I'd planned on a solid 11:1 compression but the shop didn't want to remove more than .010 from the deck and the Fel-Pro gaskets that came in the set aren't really that much thicker than the Cometics I was going to run." "The shop did a "performance 3-angle valve job" and didn't think there was any need to have it done by a professional head porter", etc.

The list of subtle compromises begins at the air filter and ends at the exhaust tip and add up to quite a bit.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Seeking advice from the internet and listening to the wrong people ( other under achievers) . Dan
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I've always seen a lot of good parts posted combos and then when I read the ET time, I think how can they be as slow as my junk with such great parts. Tuning, the car/combo as a whole. Details, combo and tuning. Also cam as mentioned or some other really missmatched part, for example I can find plenty of huge used cams atm but nothing reasonable. LOL even had a guy I know run one of those cams with his budget combo cause it was cheap but he can't figure out why it doesn't work as well as his last smaller cam cause yah know bigger is better!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

6.50camaro wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm Seeking advice from the internet and listening to the wrong people ( other under achievers) . Dan
The internet can be a double edge sword, you gotta use what makes sense not what you want to hear. 95% of what I know I learned online! Same with advice from people, listen to it all but use what applies to your situation. I like to classify the post above as missinfomation, the type that discourages people from trying their selves and just pay me to do it for you cause I know what I'm doing. Please don't take this as a personal attack, I just don't like to see this type of response on a SHARING information platform.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Devil is always in the details! It does not take much in the details of a total car, powertrain and driver to leave performance way of the mark!

It only works well when you get all the details right!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: