E7TE exhaust seat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
E7TE exhaust seat

Post by travis »

How much bigger than the stock 1.46” exhaust valve can you go before you have to replace the exhaust seat?

For that matter, how far over can you go on most OEM GM or ford heads before you need to replace exhaust seats?

I’ve got a complete set of good GM 1.84”/1.50” valves out of a 305 head I’m considering using on these E7’s, once I verify they are long enough.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: E7TE exhaust seat

Post by PRH »

Is there something out of the ordinary with those heads? Are they iron?(not a ford guy)
“Most” iron heads don’t have press in seats........ so unless seats have been installed previously.......there isn’t anything to “replace”.

Later model iron heads usually have some sort of hardening process done to the iron to make the heads suitable for use with unleaded fuel.
That process doesn’t seem to go very deep, and just about any increase in valve size will have you machine most or all the way through it.

Depending on how the heads will be used........ that’s either a problem or not.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

PRH wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:55 pm Is there something out of the ordinary with those heads? Are they iron?(not a ford guy)
“Most” iron heads don’t have press in seats........ so unless seats have been installed previously.......there isn’t anything to “replace”.

Later model iron heads usually have some sort of hardening process done to the iron to make the heads suitable for use with unleaded fuel.
That process doesn’t seem to go very deep, and just about any increase in valve size will have you machine most or all the way through it.

Depending on how the heads will be used........ that’s either a problem or not.
Nothing out of the ordinary that I am aware of. And I believe you are correct that OEM iron heads usually don’t have a pressed in seat...usually just induction hardened and it doesn’t go very deep. I’m not sure for a low buck engine if it would even be worth the expense to add hardened seats for a .040” or .080” bigger exhaust valve (1.46” vs 1.50” or 1.54”) on a head that is realistically too small.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I have installed 1.9/1.600" valves in literally dozens of E7TE 5.0 heads. Yes you can go to a 1.940" intake, but it does not help with flow, and is heavier, causes some shrouding. The optimum size I prefer is 1.900/1.560 which gives a nice radius on both and good throat size for velocity. Not much difference between the E7 and GT-40 with porting and larger valves, just a little better exhaust on the Gt-40 to start.
Joe-71
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Joe-71 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm I have installed 1.9/1.600" valves in literally dozens of E7TE 5.0 heads. Yes you can go to a 1.940" intake, but it does not help with flow, and is heavier, causes some shrouding. The optimum size I prefer is 1.900/1.560 which gives a nice radius on both and good throat size for velocity. Not much difference between the E7 and GT-40 with porting and larger valves, just a little better exhaust on the Gt-40 to start.
Do you install hardened press in seats on these?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I agree with Joe, as far as using chevy length valves I have done that as well on E7's. I use the Crane stud kit which has 3/8" studs and a 5/16" base thread with a 1/2" foot. These screw right in with crane locktight. This makes it easier to adjust the valve train. You will still need to figure your pushrod length. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

travis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 pm
Joe-71 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm I have installed 1.9/1.600" valves in literally dozens of E7TE 5.0 heads. Yes you can go to a 1.940" intake, but it does not help with flow, and is heavier, causes some shrouding. The optimum size I prefer is 1.900/1.560 which gives a nice radius on both and good throat size for velocity. Not much difference between the E7 and GT-40 with porting and larger valves, just a little better exhaust on the Gt-40 to start.
Not needed. If you only cut the seat the minimum you do not go through the induction hardening. Gives a very good radius to work with if porting.
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:44 pm How much bigger than the stock 1.46” exhaust valve can you go before you have to replace the exhaust seat?

For that matter, how far over can you go on most OEM GM or ford heads before you need to replace exhaust seats?

I’ve got a complete set of good GM 1.84”/1.50” valves out of a 305 head I’m considering using on these E7’s, once I verify they are long enough.
The 1.540" diameter GT-40 valves of the same length and tip work well, And, the seating area will not go past the induction hardening.

The valves you wish to use also work well if the length and tip are not gonna be an issue;
they are slightly shorter over all length with a shorter tip.
I often use .100" longer versions of those Chevy valves in those heads.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 am
travis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:44 pm How much bigger than the stock 1.46” exhaust valve can you go before you have to replace the exhaust seat?

The 1.540" diameter GT-40 valves of the same length and tip work well, And, the seating area will not go past the induction hardening.

The valves you wish to use also work well if the length and tip are not gonna be an issue;
they are slightly shorter over all length with a shorter tip.
I often use .100" longer versions of those Chevy valves in those heads.
Thanks Walter. Besides trying to make these flow a lot better, the valve tip lengths is something I wanted to address. It’s a bit of a PITA trying to work with very different intake and exhaust installed heights
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Joe-71 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 pm
travis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 pm
Not needed. If you only cut the seat the minimum you do not go through the induction hardening. Gives a very good radius to work with if porting.
8) Thanks!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Carnut1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 pm I agree with Joe, as far as using chevy length valves I have done that as well on E7's. I use the Crane stud kit which has 3/8" studs and a 5/16" base thread with a 1/2" foot. These screw right in with crane locktight. This makes it easier to adjust the valve train. You will still need to figure your pushrod length. Thanks, Charlie
I’m going to try those conversion studs. These heads aren’t getting a real aggressive cam...probably an under .500” hft so they should work. Plus I have a set of 3/8” stud 1.6 roller rockers sitting here gathering dust that I want to use.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

They look weak but held up to 7000 rpm and .544" lift. That was a 1.94"/1.6" combo with heavy Crower stainless roller rockers, steel retainers. We did have the engine chipped for 7000 rpm so it never floated the valves. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST