Glasspak mufflers.. Yes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Glasspak mufflers.. Yes

Post by Truckedup »

I was over a freind's house, he 's installing round case glasspack mufflers on his old Ford truck...I noticed the inner tube had many small louvers...He figured to install the mufflers so the open end of the louvers face away from the engine for better gas flow..??? I told him it's been said that typical glass packs are restrictive despite the fact the inner core is straight through and the same diameter as the exhaust pipe..
Yes, old school nonsense, get a real muffler, LOL... Any opinions of flow direction ?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Glasspak mufflers.. Yes

Post by mag2555 »

There cheap, and brassy sounding at full throttle with minor performance gain!

Any type of Turbo oval can type muffler will be a step up from those, and since he has a truck with way more free space then a car if he's hung up on using those atleast put them in after the tail pipes get over the rear end and the Exh flow is far less dense and hot at that point so a restrictive type muffler eats up less power.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

It's a flathead V8 that on a good day may have 100 HP, :D He wants the "traditional" sound
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Oh Gez! That's a far different story I though you where talkin like mid 60s ,then have at it with those glass packs!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

mufflers are all about sound, I dont worry about performance either way
If it sounded bad but picked up 10hp which he wouldnt feel would he still do it?
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have a pair of those I use to drive to the exhaust shop. They sound awful. Maybe with pipes they could be better, but I wouldn't chance it.
So much to do, so little time...
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

From what I've herd, flow into open louvers = less hp and noise and vise versa for the other way. Perforated tube mufflers are much better!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

If you run them with louvers pointed towards engine they are a bit quieter and a bit more restrictive. Pointed away is the opposite effect.
Best muffler is round or oval case with smooth perforated tube 3 inch diameter and high temp packing like the MagnaFlo.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

BOOT wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am From what I've herd, flow into open louvers = less hp and noise and vise versa for the other way. Perforated tube mufflers are much better!
Just beat me to it!!