General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

pilot bushing question again

Post by Belgian1979 »

Hi Guys,

Due to some noise while using the clutch I took my trans out and checked things out. The clutch itself and release bearing seem to be in order. I also do not seem to have any noise from bearings in the trans or any rough feeling when turning the transmission shaft.
However, I saw a lot of black dust inside of the pilot bushing and it does have some light grooving.

On the internet I seem to find comments stating that the pilot bushing cannot be magnetic, and this one is. (should have known this before). Which is a good brand of pilot bushing that is not magnetic of of the oil impregnated type ?

Also, how thight should the bushing be on the trans shaft ? I measured the shaft with a caliper and seems to be 14.82 mm or 0.583"
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: pilot bushing question again

Post by modok »

Many are made from sintered iron, which is magnetic
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Most comments I read is that these are to be avoided. Is that correct ?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Sintered bronze is less likely to stick if too tight, and less likely to wear the shaft.

Sintered iron probably lasts longer

It would be nice to have around .001 clearance, but.....they aren't really precision.... just kind of cheap stuff

Dorman sells many pilot bushings individually, I do not know if they are better or worse than other brands.
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

Consider National PB656-HD for a sbc, non magnetic oillite bronze. I have used many and never an issue.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

with the clutch in and trans in gear input shaft is not turning so its easy to tell if trans is a problem
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

also if you push the clutch in a bit the throw out bearing is loaded and will make noise if bad.dont see too many bad throw out bearings but it does happen
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

thats why i like center force clutches nice pedal.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

sidestep wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm Consider National PB656-HD for a sbc, non magnetic oillite bronze. I have used many and never an issue.
Are you sure this is non-magnetic oilite ? They look the same as the one I already have color and everything.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Last year I changed the automatic in my Mustang to a 5 speed. Looked all over for a new bronze pilot bushing. The only thing I was able to find was the sintered iron bushing. Ended up finding a used one in decent condition and used it. I’m beginning to wonder if a person wants an oilite bushing if it will have to be machined out of oilite stock?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

SupStk wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:29 am Last year I changed the automatic in my Mustang to a 5 speed. Looked all over for a new bronze pilot bushing. The only thing I was able to find was the sintered iron bushing. Ended up finding a used one in decent condition and used it. I’m beginning to wonder if a person wants an oilite bushing if it will have to be machined out of oilite stock?
So far the only one I was able to find was 5speeds.com in Florida and it is an oilite, however I got an estimate for the shipping and it was USD 100 (for a part that costs 12 USD :shock: )
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am
So far the only one I was able to find was 5speeds.com in Florida and it is an oilite, however I got an estimate for the shipping and it was USD 100 (for a part that costs 12 USD :shock: )
I feel your pain. I have the same problem with importing parts from usa. Most of the times i hear from friends on what they need on small parts and bring in a couple of items to share the shipping costs. Otherwise i must wait longer and accumulate more parts into the cart and then bring in the parcel.

Dont know on engineer costs around you but having one machined may be an easier option depending on price and maybe have a couple of them made to justify tge price.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 am [quote=sidestep post_id=804627 time=<a href="tel:1558226535">1558226535</a> user_id=24448]
Consider National PB656-HD for a sbc, non magnetic oillite bronze. I have used many and never an issue.
Are you sure this is non-magnetic oilite ? They look the same as the one I already have color and everything.
[/quote]

Yes , I check each one I use. Most that come with clutch kits, even the McLeod you are considering will be slightly magnetic. I usually get NOS ones off eBay, might try contacting Ramm, I think they sell the same part under a different part number. Paul at 5 speeds has the right one as well. Bust his b*!!s a bit, he'll fly out muncie parts for Jeff Beck but not you! Good luck with your vette.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am ...So far the only one I was able to find was 5speeds.com in Florida and it is an oilite, however I got an estimate for the shipping and it was USD 100 (for a part that costs 12 USD :shock: )
Yves, I have purchased local inexpensive GM parts that are OEM on an Alfa at some incredible markup and shipping cost and sent them through to the UK via First Class International. That was a favor to a friend there.

One pound weight to Belgium that fits in a max 24" x 6" x 6" box is $24.00. Your import duties on top of that.

Aside: The Father of one of my classmates in school worked for Belgium Customs. He said (just repeating from memory -- this was twenty years ago) that they got to keep a percentage of additional duties (?) that were charged on attempted smuggling or underdeclaring. They were very thorough.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I'm waiting on Paul's response. The national part mentioned above is apparently still available through Summit.

The parts I have here are seriously magnetic. I can rub of the black dirt in the pilot bushing but I assume that things were sticking together causing the wine and other things. :shock: