Repairing cast iron block in California

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sidestep

Repairing cast iron block in California

Post by sidestep »

My father purchased a 427 ford side oiler block from eBay. The block in the past has been welded in the lifter valley on both sides above the lifter bores, due to freeze cracks. He was told it passed a pressure test to 35 lb and the block has never been bored. He brought the block to a local machine shop in Santa Cruz ca, to have everything checked over.

The block did not pass pressure test, both sides have leaks at the welded area, the block has already been bored 30 over and will need another 30 to clean up. Cylinders 3-5 will probably need a sleeve. This engine is for a '64 ford galaxie stock type build. The only change from stock in the plans was a modern piston, lunatis version of the 425hp cam and a set of headers.

Does anyone know of a shop somewhat local that can make the repairs to the cast iron block, or advise whether or not this may be a fruitless task. Thank you
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Re: Repairing cast iron block in California

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I just did one of those for a Galaxie as well with extensive repairs needed due to it's history as a race car with some blow ups....I'll send you some photos.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Try QMP racing or Nelson they might do it? Mike Stark a possibility
Rest of the big names out here wouldnt trust.

Valley head Service a possibility also. The above poster sounds like he can handle it. ...sure wish I knew how!
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

Here is a photo from the listing
427 side oiler valley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

That was fast! Thank you guys for the time
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

exhaustgases wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:28 pm There is a old guy that has been doing cast iron welding in Marysville Wa like forever, that is the best of the best, he fixed a head one time for an industrial diesel engine that the boss owned, you could not tell it was welded, and the damage was a good size chunk missing in a combustion chamber.
Good to know, thank you
learner1

Post by learner1 »

Yes the guy in Marysville is Mike, he's definitely the best I've seen.
Shaner

Post by Shaner »

sidestep wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:50 pm My father purchased a 427 ford side oiler block from eBay. The block in the past has been welded in the lifter valley on both sides above the lifter bores, due to freeze cracks. He was told it passed a pressure test to 35 lb and the block has never been bored. He brought the block to a local machine shop in Santa Cruz ca, to have everything checked over.

The block did not pass pressure test, both sides have leaks at the welded area, the block has already been bored 30 over and will need another 30 to clean up. Cylinders 3-5 will probably need a sleeve. This engine is for a '64 ford galaxie stock type build. The only change from stock in the plans was a modern piston, lunatis version of the 425hp cam and a set of headers.

Does anyone know of a shop somewhat local that can make the repairs to the cast iron block, or advise whether or not this may be a fruitless task. Thank you
Seller lied, return it. Ebay will support you because the seller was deceiving.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Shaner wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm Seller lied, return it. Ebay will support you because the seller was deceiving.
X2 - send it back ASAP. Don't throw a ton of good money after bad. That is a total POS and only worth the investment if it were a numbers-matching car you bought new and had owned all this time.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm
Shaner wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm Seller lied, return it. Ebay will support you because the seller was deceiving.
X2 - send it back ASAP. Don't throw a ton of good money after bad. That is a total POS and only worth the investment if it were a numbers-matching car you bought new and had owned all this time.

He contacted the seller after the shop explained what the block would need and was told the purchase was not quaranteed,as is and they had no first hand knowledge of the block. Basically tough shit. Thank you for an honest answer.
Shaner

Post by Shaner »

sidestep wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm

He contacted the seller after the shop explained what the block would need and was told the purchase was not quaranteed,as is and they had no first hand knowledge of the block. Basically tough shit. Thank you for an honest answer.
Contact EBAY...the sale is guaranteed if the seller didnt lie. What you stated is the seller lied. No sale.

Contact Ebay and say what I just did. If they find in your favor you are free of it. If not, you're in the same allot but at least you tried.
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

Good to know Shaner, I'll pass on what you said.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Ron Grose Racing in Lodi, CA is up by you. If nothing else they might know who to contact in the NORCAL area.

www.rgracing.com
Joe Facciano
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Shaner wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm ...
Seller lied, return it. Ebay will support you because the seller was deceiving.
Here is the eBay listing; it did not take much effort to find it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FORD-4 ... 7675.l2557

VINTAGE FORD 427 SIDE OILER ENGINE BLOCK

CAST # 66-427

DATE CODE LOOKS LIKE 2F9

BORE IS 4.250....NO SLEEVES

WE DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ...

WAS TOLD SOME WATER FROZE IN IT AND WAS REPAIRED ...

& EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKED GOOD ...

CAN NOT SEE ANY OTHER ISSUES ...

CYLINDER WALLS LOOK NICE ...

THEY HAVE A THIN LAYER OF GREASE ON THEM SO THEY WILL NOT RUST

SOLD AS IS NO WARRANTY

EMAIL FOR SHIPPING QUOTE ...

FREIGHT MAY SHIP FASTENAL FREIGHT ... FASTENAL TO FASTENAL

YOU WILL NEED TO PICK UP AT YOUR LOCAL FASTENAL OR FEDEX ...

WILL BE SHRINK WRAPPED ON SKID

SEE OUR OTHER ITEMS

MAKE SURE THIS IS CORRECT FOR YOUR RIDE BEFORE YOU BID

EMAIL WITH QUESTIONS......SOLD AS IS.....NO RESERVE

On Apr-20-19 at 09:17:18 PDT, seller added the following information:

THERE IS A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE PREVIOUS OWNER TALKING ABOUT THIS BLOCK THAT YOU MAY FIND INTERESTING....TOWARDS END OF VIDEO
COPY AND PASTE AND SCROLL DOWN TO BUS TOUR.
https://youtu.be/fxKJPOXa-ss
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

Kevin, thanks for posting the listing. I'm sure some of that was overlooked due to ignorance and anxiousness due to price. I truly believe he was under the impression the stock bore was 4.25, messaged the seller and all.

He spoke with the seller, and he is talking things over with his associate, I doubt highly my father will bring eBay into this.

Regardless, the post is about making the block a useable piece, or finding an alternative to an oe block