Bang for the buck...goodwrench 350

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Bang for the buck...goodwrench 350

Post by travis »

Mid 80’s Chevy C10 pickup, TH350, with a bone stock goodwrench 350 with stock exhaust manifolds, an iron intake and q-jet, etc. The only mod is dual 2” exhaust.

The owner is taking a trip to the Colorado Rockies this summer and will be towing a 16’ trailer loaded down with atv’s, fuel, camping gear, etc. He said the truck is a dog towing all this stuff on the relatively flat roads around here, so he wants to make it better but on a pretty tight budget.

I convinced him to get his 2.73’s swapped for some 3.42’s (much better for light towing but still reasonable on the highway.

With the budget he had left, these are the options I’m thinking.
1) cam swap, plus all the necessary things like timing chain, gaskets, etc.
2) headers and better exhaust
3) headers mated to the existing 2” duals (that has these loud ass tiny glass packs) and something like a 2101 performer intake.

He is also adding a aftermarket trans cooler, and I will do some tweaking on the timing, advance curve, jetting/metering rods, etc.

Which option would you choose? I’ve done a hundred cam swaps in engines like this and they are very responsive to a small cam like a comp 260h or crane 266 energizer. I’m curious what y’alls thoughts are.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: Bang for the buck...goodwrench 350

Post by rfoll »

A set of 64 cc heads will raise the static about a point on the no compression Goodwrench motor. They don't need to be anything special, 76 cc heads have a horrible chamber. Vortec heads would be an additional plus. With that done, the cam and headers will produce real results. I did heads alone on my smog 350, and went from 14 to 18 MPG.
So much to do, so little time...
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

travis wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 am Mid 80’s Chevy C10 pickup, TH350, with a bone stock goodwrench 350 with stock exhaust manifolds, an iron intake and q-jet, etc. The only mod is dual 2” exhaust.

The owner is taking a trip to the Colorado Rockies this summer and will be towing a 16’ trailer loaded down with atv’s, fuel, camping gear, etc. He said the truck is a dog towing all this stuff on the relatively flat roads around here, so he wants to make it better but on a pretty tight budget.

I convinced him to get his 2.73’s swapped for some 3.42’s (much better for light towing but still reasonable on the highway.

With the budget he had left, these are the options I’m thinking.
1) cam swap, plus all the necessary things like timing chain, gaskets, etc.
2) headers and better exhaust
3) headers mated to the existing 2” duals (that has these loud ass tiny glass packs) and something like a 2101 performer intake.

He is also adding a aftermarket trans cooler, and I will do some tweaking on the timing, advance curve, jetting/metering rods, etc.

Which option would you choose? I’ve done a hundred cam swaps in engines like this and they are very responsive to a small cam like a comp 260h or crane 266 energizer. I’m curious what y’alls thoughts are.
On a slug like that I would run the even smaller comp 252. On an experimental engine I built I used the comp 252 with an old set of 1.65 crower roller rockers took the .425" lift to .4675" lift but more important it snaps the valves open quick while keeping the overlap low on a no compression engine. Thanks, charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I'd do a set of vortec heads before a cam if it was mine, it'll be worth more, and definitely less detonation prone.
Carnut1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am On an experimental engine I built I used the comp 252 with an old set of 1.65 crower roller rockers took the .425" lift to .4675" lift but more important it snaps the valves open quick while keeping the overlap low on a no compression engine.
So that change didn't net any more lift and area through overlap?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

CGT wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 am I'd do a set of vortec heads before a cam if it was mine, it'll be worth more, and definitely less detonation prone.
Carnut1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am On an experimental engine I built I used the comp 252 with an old set of 1.65 crower roller rockers took the .425" lift to .4675" lift but more important it snaps the valves open quick while keeping the overlap low on a no compression engine.
It net a bit more but much less than a higher duration would have. Which you already knew. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Carnut1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am
CGT wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 am I'd do a set of vortec heads before a cam if it was mine, it'll be worth more, and definitely less detonation prone.
It net a bit more but much less than a higher duration would have. Which you already knew. Thanks, Charlie
No. Not necessarily. I have rockered up several engines now on the dyno...1.3 to 1.8, each step up in rocker ratio creates a very pronounced audible difference in the sound of the engine at idle, idle quality gets (snottier).

Overlap degrees didn't change, but the area through there certainly does. Just experienced a similar situation when swapping cams on the dyno on my SN engine. Cam 2, quicker, faster lobes, less overlap at seat, less at .050....shittier idle...noticeably.

I'm reluctant to view generically rockering things up the way you stated it(cake and eat it too) for that reason...but I know it sounds good to say.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I tend to overlook everything so take this with the proverbial grain of salt. My 350 torque package engines have compression (9:1) a 268 Comp cam intake and headers. They make around 350hp and get decent mileage on pump regular. Unless the tires are shorter than 26" I'd leave the 3.72 gears in it.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I like the vortec head route myself...... if it’s within the budget.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

Rear gear swap is going to make the biggest difference on a budget. He's going to be in 2nd gear a lot in the Rockies and 3.42 to 3.73 will put it more into it's torque sweet spot better than the current 2.73 gears. He needs as much response and torque in the 2500-3500 range as possible. The vortech heads would be best for that range even with the silly stock Goodwrench cam. Better detonation resistance too which could be an issue under long grades and heat build up if running 87 octane.
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

The real fix is a bigger truck with greater tow rating. I've towed a heavy trailer before with a half ton and it eventually destroyed the rear end and cracked the trans case. After a bunch time consuming and sometimes expensive upgrades you will wish you had just spent for a better truck. My 2 cents and I imagine you are in love with the truck you have but l hate to see you prove me right.

Heavy towing needs a strong axle and transmission let alone enough power to move it.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Are the truck tires larger diameter than oem stock?

CheaP 305 vortecs (059,520), 305 tbi or 305 HO -TPI(081 ,4416,601 )heads swap .015" shim gasket stock valves, bowl,guide porting. Anything with a small chamber is a improvement....
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I should really work on my reading comprehension skills. I missed the part you have him changing the rear gears to something more appropriate for towing. Those 2.73 gears are good for going downhill and that's about it.

Head swap would make the most sense. Cam/lifter package to compliment the heads would be ideal. Then of course a nice free flowing exhaust. I'm very good at spending other people's money. What kind of budget does he have left?
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

It has regular street tires on it, roughly 28” tall.

I don’t think I can pull off a Vortec head swap (plus the required intake manifold and guided rockers) under budget.

I do have a set of 601 heads from a 305 (58-ish cc’s), and a set of 434’s (63-ish cc’s but 1.72/1.50 valves off a late 70’s 305). I’m afraid the 601’s will put the compression too high, and the 434’s are basically boat anchors.

Crane makes a little compucam that I was pondering. It is 194/204@.050 on a 104 lsa (yes, 104). Slightly more lift than stock. Supposed to really boost cylinder pressure and low end torque on something like this.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Roundybout wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm I should really work on my reading comprehension skills. I missed the part you have him changing the rear gears to something more appropriate for towing. Those 2.73 gears are good for going downhill and that's about it.

Head swap would make the most sense. Cam/lifter package to compliment the heads would be ideal. Then of course a nice free flowing exhaust. I'm very good at spending other people's money. What kind of budget does he have left?
Roughly $400. The gear swap is pretty expensive (especially around here) and ate up most of the meager budget, but I think gears is going to be by far the most effective thing he can do.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I pocket ported a set of 1.72 valve 64 cc heads and used them on a smog motor. Dramatic improvement over the smog heads until you get over 4000 rpm. The cost is gaskets.
So much to do, so little time...