honing damper for slip fit

Post by rocketracer380 »

sbc fluidamper can i convert to slip fit and safety wire the crank bolt
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
Re: honing damper for slip fit

Post by Dragsinger »

a press fit is required for proper damper operation. The harmonics/vibrations are transferred and dissipated from the crankshaft to the damper through the press fit.

Several damper manufacturers list the suggested interference fit on their respective web sites
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dragsinger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm a press fit is required for proper damper operation. The harmonics/vibrations are transferred and dissipated from the crankshaft to the damper through the press fit.

Several damper manufacturers list the suggested interference fit on their respective web sites
That................
GURU is only a name.
Adam
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

Many newer production engines use slip fit dampers...
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

bobalattie wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 pm Many newer production engines use slip fit dampers...
Are they fluidampr pieces? If not, it really has no bearing on the conversation. How does that, apply to fluidampr operation?
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

If the fit isn't tight on a harmonic balancer designed for an interference fit it will not absorb the vibrations and can lead to failure of the crank or damper keyway, retaining bolt not to mention possible internal damage from undamped harmonics.

It can also produce a lot of heat making removal difficult if microwelding occurs. I'd follow the manufacturer recommendations.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

You are more likely to get away with that if the crank bolt is substantial size, and LONG, countersink and threaded as deep or deeper in the crank than the damper hub.

Then when you tighten the bolt it expands the crank. so while it may not be a press fit when loose, it is when tightened.
Long bolts also rarely come loose, so you don't need any safety wire.

It's held in place by interference fit, or the bolt. or in some cases some of each. Not safety wire.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If the (press) fit is just a hair too tight you can heat the whole damper up in a big pot of boiling water on a stove.
Bring the water to a boil , then turn the heat down just to maintain a boil. Give it say 10 minutes to fully expand the damper.. Using good oven mits to avoid burning your hands, quickly put the hot (212°F) ish damper on the crank. Tap on with a wood or soft blow mallet. It will go right on. If it does not the hole is way too small.
A local machine shop can hone the hole slightly to make the correct press fit. Do not eliminate the press fit.
I have had new sbc dampers where the hole was just a few thousands too tight. It either has the correct press fit spec or it don't. Your machine shop can correct it.
Someone smart will know the correct press fit spec.
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

pontiacs and buicks i believe arent press fit
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

rocketracer380 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 pm pontiacs and buicks i believe arent press fit

I believe they ARE press fit for a Fluidamper. If you don't have the instructions, by all means CALL Fluidamper and ask them.

That damper is designed for press fit regardless of the name on the valve cover. Until FD says otherwise, I'm sticking to it. Since its been since 2008 since I've done a Pontiac I won't say for sure but I'm pretty sure I had to hone the FD to fit with .0005-.001 press fit
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

rocketracer380 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 pm pontiacs and buicks i believe arent press fit
No, but the bolt torque spec. is 160 lb-ft.!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

And the bolt diam is bigger than the SBC so the bolts do not snap off @ 160 ft/lbs......
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

I think the bottom line is doing what is recommended for each respective engine. The SBC is designed for a press fit.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

True, some motors are not a press fit, there a jam fit so to speak.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

modok wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 pm Then when you tighten the bolt it expands the crank. so while it may not be a press fit when loose, it is when tightened.
Holden 253 and 308 motors are like this I think.