General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: If you have ever bought smething because of Speedtalk, let me know

Post by rfoll »

CamKing wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 am
makin chips wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:21 am Whats the reasoning behind the question?

I have. Bought plenty of stuff 'because of' things I read here. What exactly are you trying to learn from this?
I'm trying to get a feel for how to make SpeedTalk pay for itself, if I'm able to buy it.
I want to keep it like it is. I don't want to fill it full of ads. I don't want to make people pay a membership fee.

I have a few ideas, and everyone's input on this thread, has really backed up my assumptions.

Bottom line: Speedtalk members(and lurkers) find items and services on Speedtalk, without any ads.
They trust the Speedtalk community's reviews of said products and services, more then any Banner ad.
I agree with all of this completely. Mike, you would be elevated to hero status if you could make this happen. I would not mind paying a subscription to keep this alive.
So much to do, so little time...
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Thanks for all the hard work. Another revenue stream could be the eBays Affiliate program called ePN. How it works is you sign up for the program and have a link with your code to eBay somewhere on the forum, if anyone clicks on that link and ends up making a purchase within a certain time, the affiliate gets a percentage of the fees from the sale. It does not have to be an automotive related purchase. I use to make it a point to click on a link on another forum before any eBay purchase just to help them out. It doesn't have to be an in your face ad. The link can be in a certain section, or at the bottom of a page. I have no idea how much income is generated now. I heard they cut the payout, but the program is still in use and still very popular so it has to be making money for some site owners. I see from their info if a new or reactivated member buys something your cut is raised to 200% the normal commission. I would not mind clicking on a small link somewhere here before any eBay purchase to help support the site. I still buy a lot off eBay each month and I think it would work better than membership fees.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

The CD packs, Pipemax and a camshaft from Jones cams.
And I have learned a ton off stuff.
I have finally tried the cam and it runs very well on track but a blown headgasket has stopped me from dynotesting it yet.

Erland
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Yes I purchased a cam from you for my mopar and I ran it the first time this weekend, The cam worked great, car run some of its fastest times ever, only problem is it broke a rod. Shit happens sometimes.
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

Jones cam and at least 3 books .
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
Beverly

Post by Beverly »

I appreciate all of you so very much. I want you to know Mike is working hard to take care of me and this forum. I wish Don could see these posts and maybe he does, he would be so proud. Thank you for you continued input and support for Speedtalk.
Don's Loving Wife Beverly
“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
― Dylan Thomas
Promodwrench

Post by Promodwrench »

I've bought books, a few CDs and one
Of the lights Don sold for reading plugs.
I would be happy to pay to help keep this
Place open. I couldnt begin to tell you the stuff
I've learned from talking to some of the
members here. Having the ability to talk to
people with the knowledge and experience
here is a wonderful resource.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Promodwrench wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 pm I would be happy to pay to help keep this place open.
This is all still a work in progress, but my plan is to keep the std membership free, and that free membership will allow you access to all the same content it does now.
To help SpeedTalk pay for itself, I'm thinking about offering an optional "Prime" membership, for a small fee. That Prime membership would allow you to receive added content, and discounts from authorized SpeedTalk vendors.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CamKing wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm
Promodwrench wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 pm I would be happy to pay to help keep this place open.
This is all still a work in progress, but my plan is to keep the std membership free, and that free membership will allow you access to all the same content it does now.
To help SpeedTalk pay for itself, I'm thinking about offering an optional "Prime" membership, for a small fee. That Prime membership would allow you to receive added content, and discounts from authorized SpeedTalk vendors.

Sing me up for the prime membership. I'll do that in a New York second.

Also, I forgot to ask or maybe it's been asked but will the CD's, books and stuff still be available for sale?? They may be getting long in the tooth as far as technology goes but some of that stuff is timeless. I still listen to my CD's on long drives and I learn or remember something every time.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

ClassAct wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:06 pm Also, I forgot to ask or maybe it's been asked but will the CD's, books and stuff still be available for sale?? .
We are working on that, and hopefully, it'll all still be available.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Enigma
Pro
Pro

Post by Enigma »

The "Prime" membership (I don't think I'd actually name it that, lest Amazon take offense by it and file suit) could allow access to the advanced tech, and the "for sale" area. Seems fair that if the site is to be used to sell a part, a tiny percentage of that sale should go towards keeping the site in place. As always, lots of great ideas in this thread. With so many ideas already put forth, and so many willing to share in the effort and financials of operating, I don't think keeping ST operating and growing as a community will be an issue at all.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

two jones cams
pipemax
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

'Evening Mike

I joined because of the knowledge generously shared by many highly experienced and insightful members, which lead to:

Purchasing Don's CD kits on two separate occasions - -

Engine reconditioning equipment and measuring tools from four different members

New precision instruments members have recommended

Providing a ST member with custom parts and money for a research project due to the knowledge and integrity shown in his posts

I'm willing to pay an annual fee or become a "Prime" member, and would be wary of eBay's ePN Affiliate programme due to multi nationals' histories of monetising data in "creative" ways
mtrhead

Post by mtrhead »

Jones cam
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Leftcoaster wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 am
I'm willing to pay an annual fee or become a "Prime" member, and would be wary of eBay's ePN Affiliate programme due to multi nationals' histories of monetising data in "creative" ways
Where did you get this information? Just curious as this has never been a problem with all the sites I have been a part of. If you "think" you heard something and cant point to it specifically, its best not to speculate. eBay has internal security and you actually have to be approved to be an affiliate.