Flywheel pilot bearing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Flywheel pilot bearing

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Your earlier comments seem to indicate that the gears with the highest torque multiplication were involved, 1st and Reverse. These are located opposite each other with the gasket, bearing retainer and rear extension involved in locating the shaft and bearing. This could be the locus of the cause(s) of the sound generation.

Critically, the installation torque values are different for the bolts. The upper three bolts should be installed at 15-25 ft-lbs and the lower three at 25-35 ft-lbs. Double-check those torque values and the others as well. If you need it, I can photograph my 1971 Motors Manual where it discusses the four speed Muncie.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 am You should be able to hear the throw out bearing as soon as there is pressure on the bearing ... and before the clutch is released enough for the input shaft to change speed.
I only hear it when I release it (with pedal on the floor) and just after I take the foot off the floor.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm Your earlier comments seem to indicate that the gears with the highest torque multiplication were involved, 1st and Reverse. These are located opposite each other with the gasket, bearing retainer and rear extension involved in locating the shaft and bearing. This could be the locus of the cause(s) of the sound generation.

Critically, the installation torque values are different for the bolts. The upper three bolts should be installed at 15-25 ft-lbs and the lower three at 25-35 ft-lbs. Double-check those torque values and the others as well. If you need it, I can photograph my 1971 Motors Manual where it discusses the four speed Muncie.
Are you talking about the bearing retainer in the front of the trans ? Don't know what I torqued these too. Is already a long time ago. I would think that a trans gear bearing would create noise in any gear and going up in pitch with the increase of rpm.
This is a very short whine when releasing the clutch pedal.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Belgian1979 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:11 pm Manual car. Corvette 1979 with Muncie manual transmission (4 speed M22)
My car developed a whining type of noise when just about releasing the clutch with the trans into first or reverse. It goes away the further I release the clutch. Any ideas what this might be.
Belgian1979 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm Your earlier comments seem to indicate that the gears with the highest torque multiplication were involved, 1st and Reverse. These are located opposite each other with the gasket, bearing retainer and rear extension involved in locating the shaft and bearing. This could be the locus of the cause(s) of the sound generation.

Are you talking about the bearing retainer in the front of the trans ? Don't know what I torqued these too. Is already a long time ago. I would think that a trans gear bearing would create noise in any gear and going up in pitch with the increase of rpm.
This is a very short whine when releasing the clutch pedal.

No, this would be at the rear. You can see that the retainer is captured between two very similar gaskets with the rear extension mounting flange being the place where the bolts are inserted and threaded in through the retainer and into the case. If there was play in the bearing (or shifting of the retainer caused by torque input) the arc of allowed movement would be greatest for the end of the shaft. I would not expect the bearing itself to make a noise discernible above the ruckus without signal analysis. The very slight change in gear tooth face alignment/pattern could possibly be clearly audible. I think as the clutch was fully released whilst in gear the lubricant would again begin to circulate and coat the gears, helping to dampen it.

Notice that the case, retainer and rear extension in the diagram lack the third bolt position at the top. This likely indicates a running change in production from an earlier version. Perhaps to lessen this very issue? Just guesses.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Are the McLeod Pro street clutches any good ? Smooth clutch action ?
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

why would the torque be different on the bolts.never heard of that. just wondering.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jake197000 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:52 pm why would the torque be different on the bolts.never heard of that. just wondering.
Yeah, okay.

Well take it from someone that is SOOOOO Smart and got off his ass to look at a 48 year old reference for mechanics: they are different. Are you implying that you have worked on them and did not use the correct torque values? #-o
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I'm usually quite meticulous at using the correct torque values, so I suppose if my info suggested different torque values I would have used them. The fact is that I just cannot remember what I torqued them to.
Anyway the trans itself out of the car (as far as that indicates anything) doesn't seem to have any abnormal noise or irregular operation when turning the input or exhaust shaft.
As in my other thread is mentioned. The only thing that is seemingly out of order is the pilot bearing which has black stuff in it and seems clogged up. It's also a magnetic one, which according to a lot of sources is not what you would want.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am I'm usually quite meticulous at using the correct torque values, so I suppose if my info suggested different torque values I would have used them. The fact is that I just cannot remember what I torqued them to.
Anyway the trans itself out of the car (as far as that indicates anything) doesn't seem to have any abnormal noise or irregular operation when turning the input or exhaust shaft.
As in my other thread is mentioned. The only thing that is seemingly out of order is the pilot bearing which has black stuff in it and seems clogged up. It's also a magnetic one, which according to a lot of sources is not what you would want.
Check to make sure that the input shaft itself isn't magnetized.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am I'm usually quite meticulous at using the correct torque values, so I suppose if my info suggested different torque values I would have used them. The fact is that I just cannot remember what I torqued them to.
Check to make sure that the input shaft itself isn't magnetized.
I meant to say a magnet is attracted to it, not magnetized in the sense that the part itself is a magnet. It's used to see if the pilot has metal in it.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Someone on the forum probably knows if you can effectively degauss an assembled tranny and all the detritus inside of it, if it comes to that.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Warning: TOPIC DRIFT ALERT! :lol:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.