Engine stand

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Shaner
Engine stand

Post by Shaner »

So I'm sitting here thinking...

I've had my block bolted to an engine stand...where the bell housing mounts.

For a couple years.

Does this warp the block?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine stand

Post by ProPower engines »

Only if dropped of the roof of the building :lol:

Could not resist that one
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Shaner

Post by Shaner »

Lol, its ok.

My bolts have bent since I mounted it. The block has a downward slope to it now.

I need to get new bolts and redo it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Billy Glidden, Bod Glidden son claimed he wouldn't build an engine hanging on a stand because the bores would be distorted during the tq sequence. They had pictures of him assembling his engines standing on their end. I don't know if this is true or measurable of an old wives tail.
That lead me to think you could at least support the front of the engine during head install, I just never remember it until after the engine is built. :)

At one point there was a hand crank rotisserie engine stand that supported the engine from both ends but I don't know if they make them any more.

Here is a discussion where supposedly Bob has said the same thing...
Anyway I once asked Fred if in fact Bob did not use an engine stand and he said yea, I wore out two pairs of shoes because of working on the floor all the time. He said that hanging the block on a stand would ruin the ring seal in the back two cylinders.
http://351c.net/board/index.php?/topic/ ... ine-stand/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Those good engine stands are still available...

I've also heard the same thing about building a short block while hanging from the bellhou sing.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/2 ... SIQAvD_BwE
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

When i do have mine on the stand i have a full plate that bolts all the bellhousing bolts. 12mm thickness and Short spacers just so the plate clears the crank. My stand is a bit sturdy so dont have much deflection. Homebuild so its one of those thats actually over engineered. A problem many of us petrolheads (gearheads) have. :lol:
Where my buddy use an old bellhousing. Only issue he has, is with the chevy inline 6 it does move it alot forward so he made a support that holds the front of the block and when sub assembly done he removes it and fit another set that bolts to mountings, so he can assemble the rest. Engine doesnt hang on the bellhousing.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

not sure about the v8 but all German and Jap manufactures in the doc's show the blocks mounted sideways bolted to say a engine mount point , even the straight 6 , i have bolted engines to some stands for long periods , its fair to say there is a bit of a spring load in to the flimsy stands and this is where the tilt will be
Shaner

Post by Shaner »

I have a homemade stand, pretty durable...but my 454 has been bolted to it for 7-8 years.

I was just curious as I get ready to start bolting things to it...I'd be pretty upset if the stuff is all out of round.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I don't see why one couldn't prove (or) disprove this deal with a dial bore gauge along with some experimenting ?? Mark H.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 pm I don't see why one couldn't prove (or) disprove this deal with a dial bore gauge along with some experimenting ?? Mark H.
Thats what I thought but can you measure the effects of distortion caused by a tq plate?

I have seen test where they have honed with and without and shown the difference based on hone marks in the bore but I don't know if it was measurable?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Technically, any load will distort any material, it's just a matter of whether or not the distortion is of a significant magnitude...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

GARY C wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 pm I don't see why one couldn't prove (or) disprove this deal with a dial bore gauge along with some experimenting ?? Mark H.
Thats what I thought but can you measure the effects of distortion caused by a tq plate?

I have seen test where they have honed with and without and shown the difference based on hone marks in the bore but I don't know if it was measurable?
Bore distortion is definitely measureable. Here is some typical bore distortions with a torque plate.
SBC = .003" - .004".
Ford Cleveland = .002" - .003".
Holden 308 = .003" - .004".
SBF = .002" - .003".

This is from measuring factory blocks using bolts.
The block gets measured for roundness & straightness after boring & then checked for roundness & straightness after torque plates fitted.
Using studs distorts less.
Using aftermarket blocks distorts less.

Not trying to hijack the thread but just clarifying Gary's question.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

superpursuit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 am
GARY C wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Bore distortion is definitely measureable. Here is some typical bore distortions with a torque plate.
SBC = .003" - .004".
Ford Cleveland = .002" - .003".
Holden 308 = .003" - .004".
SBF = .002" - .003".

This is from measuring factory blocks using bolts.
The block gets measured for roundness & straightness after boring & then checked for roundness & straightness after torque plates fitted.
Using studs distorts less.
Using aftermarket blocks distorts less.

Not trying to hijack the thread but just clarifying Gary's question.
Thanks for the info.
Please Note!
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

flat head fords and lincoln v-12 engines are mounted from the exhaust ports in the block but thats because the bell housing is kind of flimsy
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

jake197000 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 am flat head fords and lincoln v-12 engines are mounted from the exhaust ports in the block but thats because the bell housing is kind of flimsy.
I have a eighty-five-year-old aftermarket stand designed for the Ford flathead V8. It has a fixture to bolt to the front of the block and another for the rear. The two round tubes on the cam centerline are held in cradles.
Bob Glidden . . . wouldn't build an engine hanging on a stand because the bores would be distorted during the tq sequence.
OK, we build it with perfectly round bores undistorted by the effect of gravity pulling on the bell housing bolts. Then, we bolt it into a chassis with gravity now pulling on the front motor mount bolts. In many installs, the rear mount is on the rear of the tranny, a foot or two behind the bell housing, adding a lever to the force on the bell housing bolts. Then, we launch 800 lbs/ft of torque at 5,000 RPM, adding a twisting force far exceeding that of simple gravity.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering