Where to install cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro
Where to install cam

Post by racinnut15xm »

Ive asked about heads and other questions along the way on this build.

Its a 383, 441 heads with 2.02/1.6 that have been bowl hogged and slightly cleaned up in the ports, stock rocker arms per rules, icon 4 valve relief pistons coming in at 9-1, 6in rods, 2701 intake with a gas 2barrel going on top.

I told the guy to order a howards cam and they were out of it so he got one close to it but it has more duration. 112791-12 is the part number its showing intake centerline of 108. Ive got it at 103 now. Leave it alone or retard it closer to 108?

One track we run has a vacuum rule and the other has a 175psi rule. Running more at the 175psi rule track than the other.
DaleHays
Re: Where to install cam

Post by DaleHays »

Me, I always speak with the actual cam grinder - tell them my application, etc.. Did it come with a timing card? It should tell you where to install it at. Typically the timing information at .050 is there for a reason - which is where I usually start. If the tag says the cam (the profile) should be at .050 lift at X degrees before TDC, then I take my degree wheel and setup the crank to be at that spot, then I install the cam so the profile is at .050 lift on obviously the correct lobe and opening ramp. This should get you very dang close - or the cam timing tag is wrong. Then I check all the timing numbers to see if the cam is ground correctly (to match the tag). I have definitely found cams that were off . . . and then we get to have a conversation with my cam grinder!

Some cams come with advance "built in" - some don't . . . all depends on the grinder. Also, depending on your track application and RPM power-band, the specific installation may change.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Personally i would leave it advanced. Mark H.
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

DaleHays wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm Me, I always speak with the actual cam grinder - tell them my application, etc.. Did it come with a timing card? It should tell you where to install it at. Typically the timing information at .050 is there for a reason - which is where I usually start. If the tag says the cam (the profile) should be at .050 lift at X degrees before TDC, then I take my degree wheel and setup the crank to be at that spot, then I install the cam so the profile is at .050 lift on obviously the correct lobe and opening ramp. This should get you very dang close - or the cam timing tag is wrong. Then I check all the timing numbers to see if the cam is ground correctly (to match the tag). I have definitely found cams that were off . . . and then we get to have a conversation with my cam grinder!

Some cams come with advance "built in" - some don't . . . all depends on the grinder. Also, depending on your track application and RPM power-band, the specific installation may change.
That last part is the real reason for the question. Knowing it has more duration than i believe it really needs and a wider LSA will advancing it help those issues? I went and read the 2nd tracks rules again, it shows 16" at 1000rpm
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Best bet is to install the cam "straight up". Most high performance cams are ground at the factory with a few degrees (2 to 4 typically) of advance, therefore advancing or retarding the cam upon installation does not typically result in any measurable performance increases.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
sjre

Post by sjre »

If im reading this right the cam is ground on a 112 w/4 deg advance(108 icl) there is no way id install it at 103 or 11 deg advanced!
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

sjre wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 pm If im reading this right the cam is ground on a 112 w/4 deg advance(108 icl) there is no way id install it at 103 or 11 deg advanced!
LSA is 112
ICL on card is 108
geraldtson

Post by geraldtson »

If it's limited circle track heavy car it may need a lot of advance (depending). You could try a cranking compression test where you've got it installed now and retard it a couple degrees at a time while rechecking compression. A lot of work but will give you more understanding.How is it performing at 103? Whats the application? You may want to go in 4 degree increments to speed your results?
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

geraldtson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 pm If it's limited circle track heavy car it may need a lot of advance (depending). You could try a cranking compression test where you've got it installed now and retard it a couple degrees at a time while rechecking compression. A lot of work but will give you more understanding.How is it performing at 103? Whats the application?
Yes it a 3000 pd metric car, the track with the vacuum rule actually requires 3200. He has a powerglide with convertor right now. This is the first motor of this type I've built, i race modifieds.