Best GM Vortec intake manifold gaskets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MikeB

Best GM Vortec intake manifold gaskets?

Post by MikeB »

Would like to hear recommendations for intake manifold gaskets to fit GM "062" Vortec heads and Weiand 8121 Street Warrior manifold.
CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Best GM Vortec intake manifold gaskets?

Post by CGT »

I've been using Fel-pro 1255 intake gaskets the last couple times. They overhang a bit here and there, but if glued down they don't take much time to trim up. They are .125 thick if you need that thickness for port alignment.

I think GM#89017465 O.E gasket is probably the overall the nicest and best chance of sealing long-term, but I don't like the way they fit personally.

I have had a little trouble sealing up that vortec pattern on the dyno here and there.

I now put a skim coat of rtv sealer around all the intake ports for safe measure. There just isn't any bolts in that area to really push the manifold against the gasket, and the ones on the end are vertical. They just essentially keep the manifold from flying off the engine. :lol:

Depending on if your entry is stock in size etc, there is also Felpro 1289 .0625 thick I believe, but larger square opening. If you call Cometic they can burn you some gaskets off of any of the Felpro numbers yet in any thickness you desire pretty much.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20190307_181700.jpg
1255 intake gasket trimmed to fit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Also prefer the felpro 1255 for vortec heads.
You WILL need to hand re tighten the bolts a few times, especially on any new manifold.
Same as new headers....
No leaks or fuss here. Only use Black RTV on the water ports and China Walls. Can put some vaseline or white gease on the gasket if you want to R+R reuse to keep it from sticking.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hello,
If the heads are cut and you don't want to cut the intake manifold, BLP has these. Most Vortec intake gaskets are ~.125" thick.
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1052 These are .031" thick
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=1053 These are .047" thick
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1054 These are .062" thick
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1055 These are .095" thick
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=1056 These are .125" thick
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:46 pm Hello,
If the heads are cut and you don't want to cut the intake manifold, BLP has these. Most Vortec intake gaskets are ~.125" thick.
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1052 These are .031" thick
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=1053 These are .047" thick
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1054 These are .062" thick
https://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=1055 These are .095" thick
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=1056 These are .125" thick
Learn something every day. I did not know that. Thanks for the info.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I was on their site a few months ago getting some small parts and spotted these. I saw this post and thought I would pass it along since I "one off'd" the last vortec intake manifold. :lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

As for gasket thickness, the 350 deck was cut .020" as I recall. Heads haven't been touched.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

I like the metal and rubber Fel-pro gaskets that come in the ms98000T kits.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

novadude wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm I like the metal and rubber Fel-pro gaskets that come in the ms98000T kits.
I just used a set of these on my L31 Suburban a couple weeks ago. Very different than the OEM type plastic and o-ring style gasket (sheet metal with a rubber type material on both sides). Also significantly larger than the stock ports.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

travis wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 am
novadude wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm I like the metal and rubber Fel-pro gaskets that come in the ms98000T kits.
I just used a set of these on my L31 Suburban a couple weeks ago. Very different than the OEM type plastic and o-ring style gasket (sheet metal with a rubber type material on both sides). Also significantly larger than the stock ports.
Came to post this. I went back and forth on whether I should go back with stock gaskets or use those new ones considering the stockers made it over 150k miles. I figure if stock went 150k, these should go twice that long.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Gm vortec gaskets are no longer plastic #89017465 is aluminum with embossed oring
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

I did not know that. Looks like they've switched to their own "permadry plus" gasket for the entire line of Vortec engines. They're also stock replacements for the V6 Vortec. That wasn't the case just 5 years ago, AFAIK. They weren't available from GM last time I replaced mine in 2014. #89017866
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm I've been using Fel-pro 1255 intake gaskets the last couple times. They overhang a bit here and there, but if glued down they don't take much time to trim up. They are .125 thick if you need that thickness for port alignment.

I think GM#89017465 O.E gasket is probably the overall the nicest and best chance of sealing long-term, but I don't like the way they fit personally.

I have had a little trouble sealing up that vortec pattern on the dyno here and there.

I now put a skim coat of rtv sealer around all the intake ports for safe measure. There just isn't any bolts in that area to really push the manifold against the gasket, and the ones on the end are vertical. They just essentially keep the manifold from flying off the engine. :lol:

Depending on if your entry is stock in size etc, there is also Felpro 1289 .0625 thick I believe, but larger square opening. If you call Cometic they can burn you some gaskets off of any of the Felpro numbers yet in any thickness you desire pretty much.
I've run into sealing issues on the Vortecs no matter the gasket. The aluminum lower intake likes to corrode around the water ports, making them hard to seal. The fix is usually exactly what you did, which is use RTV to cost the gasket fill all of the imperfections from the corrosion, basically. The intake wasn't corroded, was it?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 pm . Only use Black RTV on the water ports and China Walls.
Olds455 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 am
CGT wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm I've been using Fel-pro 1255 intake gaskets the last couple times. They overhang a bit here and there, but if glued down they don't take much time to trim up. They are .125 thick if you need that thickness for port alignment.

I've run into sealing issues on the Vortecs no matter the gasket. The aluminum lower intake likes to corrode around the water ports, making them hard to seal. The fix is usually exactly what you did, which is use RTV to cost the gasket fill all of the imperfections from the corrosion, basically. The intake wasn't corroded, was it?
Yeah its a manifold bolt pattern now being used for something way outside of its original purpose. It is inferior to the old pattern for what we are doing here. So they can be trickier to seal for sure. Cranking the bolts tighter does nothing, the bolts are not placed in a position to apply pressure to the sealing interface.

Fbird mentions rtv on the coolant ports and end rails only. I've done that plenty, can be fine. I hate using any more rtv than necessary. Im always thinking about possibly reusing the gaskets and easier cleanup. But throwing a vacuum pump on my stuff and beating on it on the dyno is what has led me to glueing the gasket firmly to the head and rtv around the intake ports...pain in the ass to cleanup..thank you carbide scraper 8)

They seem fine with no sealer there. Put a vacuum pump on one on the dyno looking for power and then find out why your not pulling very much vacuum(leak). Hook up a smoke machine to the crankcase and make some observations. If you do, you will likely be putting RTV around the intake ports after that. I know a guy thats chased this around :oops: