Recommend a tunnel ram/carb BBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Recommend a tunnel ram/carb BBC

Post by Newold1 »

Well if his customer was looking for a great running streetable rod engine he would stay with a great 4 barrel manifold and a nice 850-950 cfm carb.

He is a cruiser and parking lot show rod and it's all about the look! The 600 Holleys can be made to run very smooth and nice on that engine with a good carb man setting them up right and the full look of chrome tunnel ram and chrome carbs will give him the WOW factor he is looking for when he shows up with his ambulance!

As for that quad quadra- bunch of snakes in my opinion and not a great looking top for an engine in a show street rod. You can build one and make it run but it's definitely an exercise in unneeded complexity. It's unusual alright and it's gonna get some wild looks and conversation, but will it make an engine run any better or make more power than a great tunnel ram setup - NOPE! So why build it unless you have way to much money and time on your hands.
I would put the money and effort in the engine itself and end up with a better result. Have fun! :roll: JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 pm I posted this before. Here it is again.
The primaries of the front carb are not used.
Not exposed to the plenum. But all linkage is kept intact except the bottom halfs of the primary throttle blade is cut off. Fuel passages blocked.
The engine idles and drives on the 2 center primaries.
When you "Rug it" all 6 throttles open and the secondaries air doors (2) both open based on engine air demand and air door spring tension and the vacuum delay brake valves on the side. Just like a single Qjet works. Except better and more powerfull.
v other then something different not seeing good reason to make this. ?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

F'Bird and I have had our disagreements so I don't try to get involved with what shoulda coulda woulda anymore.

In a time crunch, I used a pair of qjet's on a small block 6-71 app since I didn't have all of my holley stuff with me nor could I get the parts soon enough.

The driveability was as great as full throttle was on the dyno. Sand buggy thing. However, as far as his peers went, it was stupid looking so he brought it back to make his holley's work and I did.

I normally don't like to work on qjet's as they do take a bit more time(lazy and can't get paid enough} but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I'm sure a lot of super stock guys would agree, they are a great carb when right.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

In-Tech wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 am
I normally don't like to work on qjet's as they do take a bit more time(lazy and can't get paid enough} but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I'm sure a lot of super stock guys would agree, they are a great carb when right.
John lingenfelter won 5 grand national titles running a qjet.
I think its either time or knowledge that stops more people using them. Can be made to run on a variety of engine sizes and performance wise as well.
Cliff ruggles is a great source for info and parts.
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 pm The engine idles and drives on the 2 center primaries.
When you "Rug it" all 6 throttles open and the secondaries air doors (2) both open based on engine air demand
Can just imagine that roar when secondaries open.
The qjet have a very distinc sound from the secondaries.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

chevyfreak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 am John lingenfelter won 5 grand national titles running a qjet.
Who? huge props to John and other Qjet kings
I think its either time or knowledge Wut? :mrgreen: that stops more people using them. Can be made to run on a variety of engine sizes and performance wise as well.
Yes, and others, sorry no post/link
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

In-Tech wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:54 am
chevyfreak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 am John lingenfelter won 5 grand national titles running a qjet.
Who? huge props to John and other Qjet kings
I think its either time or knowledge Wut? :mrgreen: that stops more people using them. Can be made to run on a variety of engine sizes and performance wise as well.
Yes, and others, sorry no post/link

You almost had me there :D i thought i had the spelling wrong.
I'm a big admirer of smokey, grumpy and john.
Sadly i dont know all the qjet kings, but know of a couple of them.

I know of 3 guys that actually screws up a monojet. Then takes it off and fit an adapter so he can run a weber and then tells you they are easier to tune.
Know of a few that slaps on a holley 600 vac 1850 list no. and does no tuning apart of setting idle on his 350 cause he struggled getting the qjet to run properly.

Yes there are many that specializes in the qjets. Havent dealt with them all, I deal mostly with cliff and he helped me with some info so i can use one on my 250 inline chevy thats now a 266ci.

There's an 59 apache i see every now and then at one of the shows that has 2 qjets on an olds 455 engine. Just looks cool in my books.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I like the new street demon has q jet good street small primaries with some thermoquade thrown in. Easy bolt on to dual quad duel plane.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Interesting, it seems that now you can buy the Big Block Chev Weiand Oval port Hi-Ram manifold BASE only as a replacement part. The price is right.
Great for those that might want to fabricate their own CUSTOM
Tunnel Ram Plenum top. EFI, 2x4, 3x2, 2x Qjets , SIDEdrafts etc etc.
Pn #5981WND
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Probably just the picture but for a street manifold those runner's dont look long enough. Stop putting up pictures of tunnel rams your making me want another one and only a cross ram will fit under vette hood.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Its the picture. The runners are long.
How about doing a sbc Cross ram with a custom top.
5 holley 2 bbls. 4 are outboard over the intake ports.
These are all "secondary" carbs. Sit sideways, bowls out to side. The center mounted 2 bbl is the primary carb. The engine idles and drives on the center mounted primary carb.
The 4 outer secondary 2 bbl carbs can be vacuum sec progressive or mechanical sec progressive.
Do you have the lower sbc cross ram manifold?
Orienting the fuel bowls of the 4 outboard carbs all inward allows a lower mounting profile and valve cover clearance.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Could easly make different top for the offy base. Thought about seperated 4 carbs on it each carb positioned right over top of two runners, should function well and look great. 4 two barrel carbs either 350 cfm or 500 cfm. Linkage would be pain with my carb holley of course. Lol have thought about new base with false top raising it higher, bottom would stay same hight so plenium volume not increased better eye candy same function pretty much. Even though offy calls it low profile carbs set close to 1 inch higher then and edelbrock rpm highrise.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S10LS2

Post by S10LS2 »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:05 am I still think his customer sounds like a show and not so much go guy and the Wieand is cheap easy to chrome and a couple of small CFM chrome holleys will get it done for a minimal dollar and run well on a mild 454 street rod. Let's face it ,the Holleys look the best on a tunnel ram and a mild 600 vac secondary Holley and even progressive linkage will keep it snappy all other things being done well.
Well you got that right about your signature.. Good lord you give some god awful crap advice.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Look at the 426 Hemi Rat Roaster intake manifold.
Now build a top for your sbc cross ram like that but mount 2 qjets on top inline. Use my Six Shooter setup.
Front carb is just a secondary carb. (Primary blocked)
Carbs moved forward on plenum top to give even 6 venturi Orientation over the plenum.
Drives on only the primaries of rear qJet.
All 6 throttles open wide at wot. Air doors (2) control secondary progression rate. Smooth throttle responce.
2 bbl economy. Once the Dual Quad air cleaner is on nobody is the wiser. Low profile.
Simple inline carb link throttle cable. But full progressive 4 big secondary.Warmed up cross manifold aids vapourization and drivability.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Rat roaster aligned arrow strait like any two four manifold dont want the offy with carbs in center of manifold point would be to do as strait a shot to the opening edge of the runners same as a tunnel ram is. So for killer looks being its single plenium 360 degree. Wcfb carter was thought to be 390 to 450 cfm depending on which one. Ill put 4 of them on it each carb right over entrance to runners. Lol you know im not doing this right. But that could work not 4, 750 cfm QJ on ir manifold. Guy was nutts to do that. Of course i know nothing about the antique carter wcfb.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Rat roaster aligned arrow strait like any two four manifold dont want the offy with carbs in center of manifold point would be to do as strait a shot to the opening edge of the runners same as a tunnel ram is. So for killer looks being its single plenium 360 degree. Wcfb carter was thought to be 390 to 450 cfm depending on which one. Ill put 4 of them on it each carb right over entrance to runners. Lol you know im not doing this right. But that could work not 4, 750 cfm QJ on ir manifold. Guy was nutts to do that. Of course i know nothing about the antique carter wcfb.but ya easy to do put two carbs strait down middle say two new street demons.