Cam question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Cam question

Post by Krooser »

Say you have a cam recommended for your application that has a lift of .500. And you have a cam with virtually the same duration, LSA and timing events but the lift is .565. What would be the advantages/disadvantages to the higher lift?

This question came up last night while bench racing with a couple friends...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam question

Post by PackardV8 »

With cam questions, the answer is always, "It depends."

What is the application? The valve diameter? The RPM range, and so it goes.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Providing you have valve train stability and the head doesn't have a problem up there I would put my money on a power increase across the board and possibly extend the rpm range one to two hundred rpm.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

The general answer is more power. This is providing your flow increases with the extra lift and your engine can use the extra flow. It's always easier to answer a question like this if you give an engine type that you are referring to. The downside is more work for the springs. On engines that meet the above conditions this is generally referred to as 'free power' as it usually does not have any other adverse effects to talk about. :)
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

probably lose a tiny bit of bottom end if you test it at low enough rpm. even with the same seat durartion the "effective" duration is a slighty larger and more reversion is bound to take place at some rpm down low, just isnt as severe as with actual added seat duration
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

In many cases, the added lift will make more top-end power, and carry it a little longer.

Here's some cases, where it won't.
If the port gets turbulent above .500" lift, the added lift can hurt the power everywhere.
If it's a hydraulic, the higher acceleration rate to get the added lift, can cause the lifter to collapse sooner, making the power fall off sooner.
If you're limited on spring pressure, the higher acceleration could cause valve float sooner.
If you're limited to flimsy pushrods, the added spring pressure required to control the added lift, could cause pushrod flex, and cause seat bounce, and hurt the power.
If you're limited to stock rockers, the added lift, and added spring pressure required for that added lift, could cause valvetrain issues, and cause valve float.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

CamKing wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am In many cases, the added lift will make more top-end power, and carry it a little longer.

Here's some cases, where it won't.
If the port gets turbulent above .500" lift, the added lift can hurt the power everywhere.
If it's a hydraulic, the higher acceleration rate to get the added lift, can cause the lifter to collapse sooner, making the power fall off sooner.
If you're limited on spring pressure, the higher acceleration could cause valve float sooner.
If you're limited to flimsy pushrods, the added spring pressure required to control the added lift, could cause pushrod flex, and cause seat bounce, and hurt the power.
If you're limited to stock rockers, the added lift, and added spring pressure required for that added lift, could cause valvetrain issues, and cause valve float.
Exactly, Mike. Those who've been around a while have seen instances where switching from 1.5 rockers to 1.6 or 1.65 rockers increased lift from .500" to .565" but the result was all those problems you listed.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

We never thought of all the potential problems like turbulence, skinny pushrods and the like.

Hard to imagine a 12 pack would cloud our thought processes..

Thanks.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Krooser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm We never thought of all the potential problems like turbulence, skinny pushrods and the like.

Thanks.
Hell, you should hear about some of the fantastic innovations I've designed, until I wake up the next day, sober, and realize they would never work, impossible to produce, or were invented decades ago. :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am
Krooser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm We never thought of all the potential problems like turbulence, skinny pushrods and the like.

Thanks.
Hell, you should hear about some of the fantastic innovations I've designed, until I wake up the next day, sober, and realize they would never work, impossible to produce, or were invented decades ago. :lol:

Yup. A few bottles of liquid brains and I'm a genius. That's why I gave that up 26 years ago. My genius was killing me!
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm
CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks.
Yup. A few bottles of liquid brains and I'm a genius. That's why I gave that up 26 years ago. My genius was killing me!

I've had ideas come out of a bottle. :lol:
Jim
DaleHays

Post by DaleHays »

In addition to all the great considerations from Mike, couple others to add:

1) If the higher lift causes an issue with valve to piston clearance (say you already have the engine together - and are pondering cams). Yes that can be fixed - just not fun to tear an engine down for it.

2) Dependent upon the engine, RPM range, port size etc --- the engine design may not actually be able to use the flow and/or the fuel. An extreme example would be my old Flathead Ford race engines - even in a totally ported and full race prepped block, just can't get any more flow above about .500 lift in almost any situation. So - what to do . . . we then think about opening the valve faster (opening ramp profiles) and also about adding duration.