header tube size question,

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

moparian

Re: header tube size question,

Post by moparian »

1 7/8 step to 2 in with 3 in collectors 422 ci over 750 HP,yours are fine for what you have
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

When you run thru the traps. What is the max rpm?
When you run thru the traps what is the intake manifold vacuum at the stripe @WOT?
(Accurate high resolution manifold vacuum guage)

1/8th,? 1/4 mi ?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think as well as many others here that 1-3/4" primaries are just fine and the 12" collectors will have a max torque versus rpms influence but not that much. I suspect the shortfall in performance you are experiencing is coming about from elsewhere in the car or engine. Simpler test is to put the car or engine on a dyno and print out the result with and without a long collector. TEST,TEST,TEST - NO GUESS, NO GUESS,NO GUESS! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You still will not know if the collector us correct or not.
Test it at the track. Take a different collectir with you to test also. If the different collector sliws the car it tells you just as much as if it speeds the car up.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thank you again to all the members that responded to my question. here in NY its just about time to go to the track(April 30) and i will run with the 12 inch collector, a 16 inch collector and no collector and see what happens. ill respond back after i go to the track in May aert in NY