Venting about so called "builders"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Olds455
Re: Venting about so called "builders"

Post by Olds455 »

Sounds sort of like most drivers in the higher echelons of round track racing. All they do is drive. They don't work on the engine. They don't set up the car. They "just drive".

It could possibly be that it extends into the amateur ranks, as well. Maybe they have somebody that does it all. Or they hope does it all, anyway. That was the first thing I thought of, anyway.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Krooser wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 am I bought some chassis parts from a young super late model driver who runs up front at the local paved 1/2 mile.

He drops his car off after every race night to get it set-up for the following week. I was asking him about the car... I asked him if he was running a crate, spec or open motor. He said he thought it was a Chevy...
Definitely a chevy guy.
Seems to me Chevy enthusiasts aren't afraid to admit how little they know, which is refreshing as compared to the reverse.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

It will get sorted out,lol. just amazes me something as simple as plug reach is not verified and makes ya wonder if the head gasket leaks, the plug reach is wrong what else was missed or not done correctly? At this point I'm willing to bet the cam wasn't degreed and god knows what else wasn't checked.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Seems like there are less and less truly competent machine shops and engine builders out there these days, now that the "crate engine" mentality has taken hold. I am so glad I was able to find an excellent local source through this forum when I needed a block machined a few years ago vs rolling the dice with other local shops. Speedtalk member k-star did great work, and treated me fair.
75corvette

Post by 75corvette »

I'm not a builder just a shade tree mechanic but when I needed my motor rebuilt for my street only toy I went to the nearby speed shop that builds motors for the local track. 500 miles later the beads from shot blasting the block go through the rod bearings, score the cylinder walls and the rebuilt motor is toast. The next motor I said not again and searched this forum for someone better. Three states away I knocked on his door one night. He let me in and took the time to explain my options none of which included cutting corners. He also explained his reasoning for the recommendations not just telling me I needed it. Being a structural engineer I appreciated his explanations and could see their validity. That philosophy for building motors impressed me enough to start writing checks on the spots. The finished motor was everything I wanted and still runs great.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

75corvette wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 pm 500 miles later the beads from shot blasting the block go through the rod bearings, score the cylinder walls and the rebuilt motor is toast.
And they wouldnt stand behind it ???
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
75corvette

Post by 75corvette »

To be honest I was so mad I never even went back to them but found someone new.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Looks like those intake valves were trying to make their own reliefs in the pistons. I can only imagine how well the valves were sealing! :lol:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MadBill wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:23 pm
Charliesauto wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:56 pm...
Engine builders are like race car drivers, their talents and ability varies immensely. Also, like drivers most have warped sense of where they actually stack up.
Time for another reference to the Dunning-Kruger Effect?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect
Always ... especially with engine building. ](*,)

They are totally unaware of the things they don't know.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

BLOCKMAN wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 pm This is the best one I have seen, Had a guy call a couple of years ago and said he wanted me to go through his circle engine and up date to Vortec heads, Told me the engine had a 1400.00 Callies Crank and all ARP Hardware ETC. This engine has got all kinds of power BLA BLA BLA. While taking engine out of the truck I noticed it had a GM crank flange. Before you leave I am going to take this apart while your here. Got the heads off and 6 out of 8 pistons were in backwards Bearing down to copper, No ARP fasteners, GM 1182 crank .020/020 . I said load everything up we are starting from scratch.The new engine after 2 years now still trying to hook it up.

The pistons have new eye brows and this ran for 2 years like that.
Good call on taking it apart before he left, wow. :(
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

BLOCKMAN wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 pm This is the best one I have seen, Had a guy call a couple of years ago and said he wanted me to go through his circle engine and up date to Vortec heads, Told me the engine had a 1400.00 Callies Crank and all ARP Hardware ETC. This engine has got all kinds of power BLA BLA BLA. While taking engine out of the truck I noticed it had a GM crank flange. Before you leave I am going to take this apart while your here. Got the heads off and 6 out of 8 pistons were in backwards Bearing down to copper, No ARP fasteners, GM 1182 crank .020/020 . I said load everything up we are starting from scratch.The new engine after 2 years now still trying to hook it up.

The pistons have new eye brows and this ran for 2 years like that.

The sad fact is the guy thought his junk ran good! I've seen it all my life. Doesn't matter if it is dirt bikes at cars or guns...some people just don't know when something isn't right, or they don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss.
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

I got a customer bring freshly honed Volvo block for assembly.First,the block was oildirty outside so not washed,crank was in the block,honing grit showing inside the block #-o
The machine shop had said that it was ready for assembly..
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I rebuilt several SBC short track engines build by a top engine builder and both were 11:1 instead of 13:1 for race gas. I guess he did not want to have a problem if the owner put in a bad tune.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Likely we all have 'those' stories. When I was young, I took a crank to the 'best shop in town' for a rebuild. They cut it 0.020-under & left sharp edges on all the mains from a quick grind instead of nice blended fillets. Only took me a few months to make that crank two-piece & wreck the block. An old-time mechanic pointed this out as I was trying to find replacements. That's when I started doing all my own work. I've lost a lot of blood (literally!) and started buying expensive tools instead of cheap ones, learning the correct way to do things but I've lost no more motors. Probably shoulda thanked them for motivating a young kid with their shoddy work. I did thank the old-timer.