1969 Camaro headers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wilson1970
1969 Camaro headers

Post by wilson1970 »

I have a friend that has a 69 Camaro with 406 SBC Brodix angle plug heads. His old 1&3/4
Headers fit fine. He has recently updated to a rack and pinion, now headers dont fit. He has tried a new set of Hedman 1&3/4, they clear the rack but dont clear spark plugs. Any idea on direction to go or who to ask? Thanks
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: 1969 Camaro headers

Post by swampbuggy »

I had a 72 Chevy pickup truck that we put a B.B.C. with Dart 355 Alum. heads into. I found a guy not too far from where i live to build a set of headers for a Hooker (i believe it was) kit. I was very pleased with the headers and they were nice. That is my recommendation. Mark H.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A useful first step would be to scare up the Engine Masters You Tube episode in which they laid a series of beatings on the headers of a BBC. It was quite amazing how mangled they were before losing any appreciable power.. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
wilson1970

Post by wilson1970 »

We would love find someone who has previous experience with similar situation as this and if someone knows of a header builder that builds such an animal.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

the only guys I know that can solve your issue is Dan Lemons at Lemons headers
He has done just about every conceivable engine and chassis combo.
They will fit perfect look pretty but they are not a $1.98 header shop. They will be comparable to any good race header in cost.
I would call Dan and chat with him. it may not be as bad as you think cost wise.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Have you tried a set of 'shorty' header spark plugs?
wilson1970

Post by wilson1970 »

Yes and no dice
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Any room for a flange/header spacer?
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Lots of guys around to build a set, you'd almost have to bring the car unless you find someone that has already built a set for the same combo.
Jim
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

Call Dan Lemons. He will be able to build a set from jigs that are already proven. They will fit beautifully and make good power. I couldn't be happier with mine, every time I look at them or change plugs I'm glad I didn't buy another set of catalog headers. Mine are for a 67 Camaro, 555 bbc with front rack and pinion.
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I'll vouch for the quality of Dan Lemon's headers, nicest header I've ever owned. Nice guy
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Just to ad to the effort that Dan lemons went to when the 1st raised port Pro Topline heads hit this country
none of the header makers could supply headers to fit common engine combo's. We had to ship him a head to set up a jig to build a set of headers for us. And I have to say every header manufacture swore up and down their junk would fit.
Boy where ther full of shi*. I must have spent $2500 in return shipping just test fitting stuff that was supposed to fit but
never even came close.

Again they build some of the nicest and best fitting headers without the need to leave your
chassis there to get the fit right =D> =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors