Try not to laugh 235

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Re: Try not to laugh 235

Post by RCJ »

It's been a lot of years since I worked on a 235, but I remember them have very poor fuel distribution.The back cylinder would run lean,I would try a manifold with 2 carbs.Are there any pistons with the same bore and c/h that are in a modern design with thin rings?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Yes ,all the inline 6's had poor fuel distribution....I have a lot of experience with modifying GM inline 6's. I've driven many 6 wheel trucks with various inline 6's...Hauling 6 tons plus the truck weight for extended distances at hiway speed is not going to happen unless the road is flat..be really slow going climbing grades at altitude out west..The throttle will be wide open almost constantly...With a truck 4 speed the ratio gap between 3rd and 4th is huge. The engine will be screaming at 45 mph in third, you shift into fourth and it's bog city ..The situation is better with a two speed rear axle or 10 speed transmission but it's still slow...The difference between a 300 cube 6 and a decent running 350 plus inch V8 is almost like night and day at highway speeds
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

This post should be retitled "The "Little Mouse who roared and jibberish came out!"

Little Mouse most of us try to get thru life avoiding being our own worst enemy. I am not sure you are on that plan?

Do your self a favor and stop being your own worst enemy! Listen to good advise and solid logic and don't entertain yourself and ignore what can change your life in a truly positive way. When and if you go to San Diego, start out with a new foot forward in your life and make things easier on yourself. :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Even if it will tow and stop the load, I suspect keeping it cool when pulling hills at low speed could be a problem. Maybe U haul could rent you something big enough to haul your truck and tow the boat.
So much to do, so little time...
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

rfoll wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:56 pm Even if it will tow and stop the load, I suspect keeping it cool when pulling hills at low speed could be a problem. Maybe U haul could rent you something big enough to haul your truck and tow the boat.
The head is probably already cracked so no foul.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
peglegrice

Post by peglegrice »

Why not Swap it for a later Truck inline (292) ?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Several problems with your plan...

That 235 won't make the trip...the truck was never designed for those weights running at any speed.

Not enough engine, chassis or brakes. You and your boat will be laying in a ditch alongside the cactus and scrub brush on the first bug grade.

You'd be better off buying an older 1 ton then you may have a fighting chance...sell it if you make a successful trip.

Or buy a 5,000 medium duty truck, build a good hitch and sell it when you're done.

Or rent a class 8 truck. You'll need your insurance in order or they won't rent to you. You'll have a tougher time finding a commercial trailer.

Your best bet is to buy a boat that's located where you want to be.

The biggest problem will be the DOT and crossing the scales...that whole deal would be enough to nix the trip. Once they open the ticket book you'll be paying thousands.

Trust me... I have 47 years of OTR experience. 4,500,000 miles....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
lemons racer

Post by lemons racer »

Have to agree it's too much for the truck, BUT one of the funnest trucks I had I partnered with a friend, Lloyd, was a 53 Chevy 3/4, already had a 235 (cracked head) I found a 55 235 with a split header with 30,000 mi. on a quick rebuild for $125.00, I knew the owner that's why I got it so cheap.
We put it in, installed the upper end oiling kit, twin glasspacks & a rad. from a 1 1/2 ton, drove like that for awhile but got tired of the old wore out 1 barrel carb. Lloyd went through his garage & found one of those cheap 2brl to 1brl adapters, I had a 2brl carter off a 71 318. Would have prefered a dual 1 brl manifold but that costs money-not happenin. It lost alittle torque at idle but after that you would not believe how hard that turd could pull.
Moved Lloyds mother inlaw from Hayward CA. out to Byron in the central valley, loaded the flatbed & a 12' open top trailer with everything she owned. Not anywhere nere 15,000 but heavy enough. Pulling the Altamont pass doing 55 mph came up on a 80s Ford diesel PU billowing smoke & slower than me, so foot to the wood, Lloyd was kinda sleeping, woke up & said HOW FAST WE GOING, 80 & still pulling, with a amazed look he said BULL####, still on the grade I backed off the throttle down to 55 & did it again, no problem.
Got more thumbs up in that brown hand brushed with sand in the paint truck than anything else I've driven, plus you could stand on a fender & not fall off!
Just remember with an old 6 cyl. build for torque not HP.