Try not to laugh 235

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Try not to laugh 235

Post by Little Mouse »

Have last year series 1, 55 chevy 3600 with the 235, 6. SM420 iron case, 7.05 granny gear, believe its 4.57 rear. Like to pull about 15,000 lbs of boat and trailer from dfw tx to san diego. Have plenty of gearing just no engine power. Can i redo the engine at least do higher compression. I dont think my sbc will mount to the bellhousing it uses. I know it will to a 68 on up SM 421 trans.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Try not to laugh 235

Post by Truckedup »

I have messed around with a few 235's looking for more power, hot rod vintage trucks...You can spend thousands and wind up with 165 HP.There's a 261 that's just a larger more heavy duty 235 so to speak, but not modern highway rated for pulling a load. This won't really help you much. You can bolt in a 302 GMC inline 6 with easily solved radiator to fan clearance issues...But it won't be fast on the highway either unless it's level and the motor is running 3200 rpm ..... There was a time when these type engines pulled 40,000 pounds with 10 or so forward gears...It was just slow going... You can drop in a V-8 , it will bolt up to the 4 speed ..but you may have to alter driveshaft length. The exhaust clearance to the steering column is a problem.. Some guys changed the column, I offset the SBC 1-1/2 inches to the right...A Ford small block may be less or more of a problem....Take the back roads, drive easy and enjoy the scenery...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Truckedup wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm I have messed around with a few 235's looking for more power, hot rod vintage trucks...You can spend thousands and wind up with 165 HP.There's a 261 that's just a larger more heavy duty 235 so to speak, but not modern highway rated for pulling a load. This won't really help you much. You can bolt in a 302 GMC inline 6 with easily solved radiator to fan clearance issues...But it won't be fast on the highway either unless it's level and the motor is running 3200 rpm ..... There was a time when these type engines pulled 40,000 pounds with 10 or so forward gears...It was just slow going... You can drop in a V-8 , it will bolt up to the 4 speed ..but you may have to alter driveshaft length and modify the crossmember. The exhaust clearance to the steering column is a problem.. Some guys changed the column or raised up the engine... I offset the SBC 1-1/2 inches to the right...A Ford small block may be less or more of a problem....Take the back roads, drive easy and enjoy the scenery...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Rent or borrow a newer truck with more power to pull the trailer and drive the oldie unloaded behind.

Back in the old days, people either just hauled less stuff, or geared down and slowed down ... a lot.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Well once you get to New Mexico,Arizona and the California some of those hills will more than knock you down to 30 mph with that set up.And it will more than likely take you 3 or 4 days you might as well hitch up a mule to it.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The 235" pulled those loads forever, just not at today's speeds. If one is patient and keeps his speeds to 50 MPH or less (but then with those brakes, it wouldn't stop any faster either; trust you will have trailer brakes?)

Begin with a good tuneup and try to find USA cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires. Unless the engine has new rings and valve guides, it will use oil under load. Have a case of oil in the bed and check the level each time you fill up. Never let it get below the full mark.

Just me, who's lived through the bad old days, I'd pay to have both of them shipped to CA.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Brian P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 pm Rent or borrow a newer truck with more power to pull the trailer and drive the oldie unloaded behind.

Back in the old days, people either just hauled less stuff, or geared down and slowed down ... a lot.
X2
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 pm The 235" pulled those loads forever, just not at today's speeds. If one is patient and keeps his speeds to 50 MPH or less (but then with those brakes, it wouldn't stop any faster either; trust you will have trailer brakes?)

Begin with a good tuneup and try to find USA cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires. Unless the engine has new rings and valve guides, it will use oil under load. Have a case of oil in the bed and check the level each time you fill up. Never let it get below the full mark.

Just me, who's lived through the bad old days, I'd pay to have both of them shipped to CA.

jack vines
LOL It's not just you, that was my first thought too. Unless you have a lot of patience, hiring somebody with a flatbed to haul the whole shebang will probably be cheaper in the long run. If the old truck is a survivor and runs good the way it is, I wouldn't modify it.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Yep. Old work truck and chevelle, NY to Florida $1600. Way to go.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Get a smaller boat.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Boat will be 12.4 beam wide load can only be hauled daytime , stay on freeway deal. So i guess maybe just put up with 235. If you see what they charge to haul that you will try to personally put it on your own back haul it, if any mortal could.at one time owned class 8 trucks would only need to rent a dropdeck trailer but no longer in trucking business. Boat is only 10.6 high even on a trailer that wont be an issue. Im thinking going to need my small nissan pickup running behind me.as far as smaller boat 33ft small enough for ocean and plan to live on it at least six months of year. $450.00 a month dock fee right on the ocean at most 30.00 electric bill. Ill take that instead of 2 grand apartment. Had all of texas weather i want for a lifetime. But will have po. Box both states keep my toys registered on texas and keep my cdl there.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Use the Nissan to tow the truck to tow the boat.
Regardless, we want video.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Ya the 4 cylinder frontier with 3500 tow capacity. Going to pull the radiator to the end of trans, throw clutch in trash, radiator took to be fixed on brakes anything it needs. Will be fun to see look on peoples face when they see that oldie but goody hauling the big boat. After checking prices on wide load boat hauling. Think ill check into insurance cost amd maybe go back into trucking boats. Lol
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Look like Ice road truckers...the Nissan could be a pusher truck, just get the old tire strapped to the bumper and have at it.