HEI power supply.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

novadude
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Shippensburg, PA

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by novadude » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 am

rfoll wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:34 am
Fail. I installed a relay for the HEI triggered by the original resister wire. It started right up and ran fine, but would not shut off. When I touched the resistor wire at the connection to see if it still had voltage, the engine shut off immediately, probably essentially grounded it out. My guess is some sort of feedback is keeping the wire charged. So I rewired it. There is a fused switched source at the panel and it works fine for the ignition on it's own, but had the same problem if I tried to use it to trigger the relay. Anyone have an explanation for me? I would really like to understand this.
I had to use a diode on the alternator plug with my relay set-up as well. I forgot to mention this....

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by rfoll » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm

" I forgot to mention this....". It would have saved me a lot of grief. I had to disassemble an entire mornings wiring to make it work. However, I should have known this. I even have the diodes. Electricity is not a specialty for me. I know how to make most 12 volt things work, and I can do household and shop wiring, but I don't really understand electricity. Its not necessary to understand the inner working of a car or computer to use them.
So much to do, so little time...

novadude
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Shippensburg, PA

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by novadude » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm

rfoll wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm
" I forgot to mention this....". It would have saved me a lot of grief. I had to disassemble an entire mornings wiring to make it work. However, I should have known this. I even have the diodes. Electricity is not a specialty for me. I know how to make most 12 volt things work, and I can do household and shop wiring, but I don't really understand electricity. Its not necessary to understand the inner working of a car or computer to use them.
Yeah... sorry... it's been so long since I did mine that I completely forgot all about this little issue until you posted. :(

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by rfoll » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:25 pm

After a while I think it becomes necessary to forget something in order to learn something new.
So much to do, so little time...

77cruiser
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: I Falls MN
Contact:

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by 77cruiser » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 pm

rfoll wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:25 pm
After a while I think it becomes necessary to forget something in order to learn something new.
If you have little room in your head like me you do, keep trying to put in something is coming out. :)
Jim

novadude
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Shippensburg, PA

Re: HEI power supply.

Post by novadude » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am

77cruiser wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 pm
rfoll wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:25 pm
After a while I think it becomes necessary to forget something in order to learn something new.
If you have little room in your head like me you do, keep trying to put in something is coming out. :)
I had an old boss that used a "peas in a straw" analogy. Put a new pea in one side, a pea falls out the other end. :lol:

Post Reply