Pro
Best molar sb stroker heads

Post by rocketracer380 »

Lookin for sb molar 408/410 for pump gas 600 hp build lookin at victor heads
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Best molar sb stroker heads

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

rocketracer380 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 am Lookin for sb molar 408/410 for pump gas 600 hp build lookin at victor heads
The Victor heads are pretty nice.
IIRC they do require a pricey rocker system.
For that power level forget about the lower level head.

What other choices are out there?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Mopar, I assume? :lol:
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The Victors certainly flow enough out of the box even for 650 to 700 hp, the rpm performers would need to be ported to pick up some 20 cfm to both pick up flow and minimum port area .
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

600hp?

The Trick Flow heads should be released in the next few weeks....... they should be able to get into that hp range no problem.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

makin chips wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 am Mopar, I assume? :lol:
for molar heads, a dentist forum is the place! :lol:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Are the W5 Mopar's still available...?

I've have gotten much more power than that with the INDY 360-1 heads;
their smaller 360-2 heads will probably get you the power you're after.

The big question to ask you is, are you willing to get the aftermarket rocker arm systems required ???
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

The new trick flow head is an updated stocker. Look for some unmolested W-2 heads before you spend any money on a head that takes stock rockers. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, stay away from W-5 heads. They make big power but out of the box they are worthless. Flat junk. All the guides and seats are junk and need to be replaced. They need a 50 degree valve job on a 2.055/1.500 valve combo (that's all the port will support for valve sizes with a a 50 degree seat) and if you really want to make them work, they like a 55 degree seat. They take the same rocker as the W-2 and the oil holes in the shafts are in the wrong location. So on either the W-2 or W-5 you need to correct the oil hole location. If you do, you'll eliminate pushrod smoking. Why Chrysler didn't fix it is beyond me. All I can say is I proved Chrysler knew they were wrong and just didn't give a shit.

If you are really careful, you may get an edelbrock head to get where you want to be. But they take a bunch of work, don't use an offset rocker and need the geometry corrected. Don't forget to port the intake. All Chrysler intakes need work. All intakes need work. You can't port the heads and use an unported intake and expect it to perform.

If you can't find a set of W-2's I'm with whoever above said they Indy 360-1's. You MUST correct the geometry with them as well.

There is no good answer. What you want is easy to do. As I say, like falling off a log. Even on pump gas. The issue is getting it right.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

rocketracer380 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 am Lookin for sb molar 408/410 for pump gas 600 hp build lookin at victor heads
Probably worth posting this on the Engine & Race Tech forum at Moparts.com, since there's likely to be a larger audience of people who are looking into, or may have already done, what you're asking about.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

If the TF heads are of the same quality ootb as the BB heads are, and flow as close to their advertised flow numbers(300-ish) as the BB heads do, along with the easy 2” installed height, I don’t see there being any problem reaching the 600hp mark with them.
I’ve come pretty close to that with RPM heads that flowed in the 280 range, 1.5 rockers, and a cam that was pretty easy on parts.

You’re going to spend WAY more on any SBM Head package that uses offset rockers.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

I was in the market about 2 years ago, and compared most of what was available at that time.
ended up getting the Edelbrock performers, and doing a good bit of grinding to them for a 408 street / strip engine.

I chatted with a local guy Brett Miller, who at the time was working a project with BES (bischoff engine) and were getting some very good numbers out of a casting with stockish intake/header/rocker patterns.
Pushrod was moved over, so they required an offset intake rocker...which was available. You might inquire with them to see if they still offer the SB mopar head. I don't recall where the castings were from, but the finish work looked very nice and price was reasonable for a finished head
too lazy to make power w/o boost
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

my vote for the 360-1 heads, just put some bronze liners in the guides, they have a tendency to stick valves, ask me how I know that? But I have a set on a 408 with a procharger on pump gas, runs great. 550 HP at the rear wheels, idles at 600 rpm.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Thats the issue with iron heads. The stainless valves that get supplied alot of times are not hard chromed stems and
gall in iron guides. Its the guys or shops that just assemble the heads that don't know any better. [-X
I have seen some valves that had so much run out you had to rotate them to get them to slide into those heads.
Some of the sellers that put discounted packages togethers for street guys use the cheaper valves. And some times they are just stock length valves when +.100" valves are needed to get a decent spring in them.

I bugged Hughes for a couple years about going to a + .100" long valve with his head packages till they finally did =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors