General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: MCS Length?

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

GARY C wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:39 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am It will go in this car, resurrected from a field in California.
By the looks of the wheels, that is has the WS6 suspension package.
If everything is kept tight, that is a pretty good handling car
and
the engine bay that is easier to work on than late model cars.
Yes WS6, the car only has around 32,000 miles on it, it still had the Goodyear NCT tires on it from the article and from the looks of the rear tires I think most of those miles came from tire smoke :)
It still has original space saver spare, jack and hard ware, t top bag.
That car brings back memories. My best friend in high school had one with a 4 speed. It could run with SBC and some BBC Gen 1 camaros with ladder bars in a street race. But handled 2 times better.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

GARY C wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am It will go in this car, resurrected from a field in California.
and
Yes WS6, the car only has around 32,000 miles on it, it still had the Goodyear NCT tires on it from the article and from the looks of the rear tires I think most of those miles came from tire smoke :)
That car brings back memories. My best friend in high school had one with a 4 speed. It could run with SBC and some BBC Gen 1 camaros with ladder bars in a street race. But handled 2 times better.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

and
Wow! Nice score! Good luck getting it back together and running the streets! Looking forward to that day already.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 am

and
This is my 400 4spd car, I got this far but have not painted it or installed interior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Sort of an update!
Dismal flow numbers that should please The Choir Boys!
MCS speed if my numbers are correct around 411 fps as ported.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Trying to reduce Reduced entry and it's effect on MCS, Entry to small and carried into MCS slightly raised speed to 456ish at MCS.
Peak flow was down about 10 CFM.
Please Note!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Working my opening and MCS brought my speed back under control as well addressing some of the dismal flow numbers making them less dismal. Also the preliminary ex FLOWZ.
I am not getting to involved in changes because I am not using the final valves yet so I don't want to make any big changes. I also found some small areas to fine tune that brought speeds down a touch but no real chang in CFM.
Please Note!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Gary,
couple of questions
what is the pinch set to as in size?
what air speed at the pinch,intake floor and SSR at the apex do you have?
what test pressure ??
my eyes opened when i started testing at 35''-40''of depression,i think if you test at lower test pressures and convert to higher depression it will be misleading.
did i see 292-191 cfm on your sheet of paper??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 am Gary,
couple of questions
what is the pinch set to as in size?
what air speed at the pinch,intake floor and SSR at the apex do you have?
what test pressure ??
my eyes opened when i started testing at 35''-40''of depression,i think if you test at lower test pressures and convert to higher depression it will be misleading.
did i see 292-191 cfm on your sheet of paper??
Pinch is about 1.937... Mid port about 2.36... Short turn about 2.66... Throat is 2.51ish
Head flowing at 7", Pinch is around 408, Apex around 397. I was not as concerned about actual numbers, I was more focused on how the opening affected the pinch.

The 292 on the last sheet is at .700, not sure on the 191 unless you are rounding up the 190.34, I have 2 different back cut ex valves I am looking at, the ex will go 207.
Please Note!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

That sure seems fast but I guess if it goes where it's supposed to go, that's a good thing. That whole "stretching molecules" thing does come to mind, though.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RevTheory wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am That sure seems fast but I guess if it goes where it's supposed to go, that's a good thing. That whole "stretching molecules" thing does come to mind, though.
My numbers could be off, I am not so sure about the pitot tube conversion thing, I will try to get correct on my sizes and as much as I hate to I will probably end up epoxying the throat area.
Please Note!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

GARY C wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 pm
RevTheory wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am That sure seems fast but I guess if it goes where it's supposed to go, that's a good thing. That whole "stretching molecules" thing does come to mind, though.
My numbers could be off, I am not so sure about the pitot tube conversion thing, I will try to get correct on my sizes and as much as I hate to I will probably end up epoxying the throat area.
Gary,
i would set the pinch bigger say to 2'' 6500rpm peak ??
that would bring airspeed down slightly,throat @ 90% now where do want it ??
have these heads had a valve job yet,i would think with liquid boost the port would choke earlier if the port is to fast,
has the SSR been shaped much from cast,what cc is the runner after they were ported by some one else?? sorry for all the questions just trying to paint a picture in my mind :)
steve c
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm
GARY C wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 pm
Gary,
i would set the pinch bigger say to 2'' 6500rpm peak ??
that would bring airspeed down slightly,throat @ 90% now where do want it ??
have these heads had a valve job yet,i would think with liquid boost the port would choke earlier if the port is to fast,
has the SSR been shaped much from cast,what cc is the runner after they were ported by some one else?? sorry for all the questions just trying to paint a picture in my mind :)
It will most likely end up in a street car that spends most of it's life between idle and 4000 so I trying to target 1.95 and 6000 to keep the head at or below 200cc, I would prefer to be more in the 87% range on the throat.

Port work and valve job are done, mild work on SS and I will probably do a little fine tuning along the way.
Please Note!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Gary,
Thanks for the confirmation, I think the pinch and throat size for your application that you suggest is a good idea,
Good luck with the build and hopefully get it together soon
steve c
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm Gary,
Thanks for the confirmation, I think the pinch and throat size for your application that you suggest is a good idea,
Good luck with the build and hopefully get it together soon
Thanks, for what I'm doing I could probably run them like they are and have a decent running engine but my brain wont let me.
Please Note!