HEADBYTES

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Re: HEADBYTES

Post by MotionMachine »

When I first ran across that guy, I honestly thought it was a spoof. It was hilarious, then I figured out he wasn't joking. I've found several spoofs on Youtube about engine machining that are pretty funny.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The Dunning-Kruger Effect has been mentioned elsewhere in S/T and it perhaps explains Headbytes' delusions of adequacy: https://thedecisionlab.com/bias/dunning ... gJZl_D_BwE
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

MadBill wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 pm delusions of adequacy
:lol: =D>

My employer has new buzz words and phrases every new year and they use them in EVERYTHING...”delusions of adequacy” is my new favorite 😂
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I suspect my personal signature should be "Shows momentary flashes of mediocrity interspersed with general delusions of adequacy". #-o
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Just because I don't agree with everything he does and says I'd have to say Headbytes is much better than the average Utube engine builder video. Man there are some Utube videos that are just stupid junk and I have learned several technuiqes I didn't know from watching Headbytes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to look at his videos in comparison to others doing the same thing. And the little amount of time I have been able to watch a machinist blueprint a block it wasn't brain surgery by any means. I think most trained journeyman machinists become tool and die makers where good money is to be made. Leaving untrained machine shop employees learning the skills and shop equipment. This ain't no regulated industry and the american business that does more for less wins. Free videos on head and block work gets you what you paid for. Try buying training on engine blueprinting somewhere. Good luck.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Try buying training on engine blueprinting somewhere. Good luck.
SAM Tech, UNOH
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

cardo0 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:13 pm Just because I don't agree with everything he does and says I'd have to say Headbytes is much better than the average Utube engine builder video. Man there are some Utube videos that are just stupid junk and I have learned several technuiqes I didn't know from watching Headbytes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to look at his videos in comparison to others doing the same thing. And the little amount of time I have been able to watch a machinist blueprint a block it wasn't brain surgery by any means. I think most trained journeyman machinists become tool and die makers where good money is to be made. Leaving untrained machine shop employees learning the skills and shop equipment. This ain't no regulated industry and the american business that does more for less wins. Free videos on head and block work gets you what you paid for. Try buying training on engine blueprinting somewhere. Good luck.
Try looking at what this guy calls good guide work.
The 1st guide he does gets cracked but no mention of what to do from there.

Yes there is training for that its called practice after instructions on what not to do when broaching guides that are thin
but ya don't leave it and carry on to the finish of the job and call it good.\
Check the you tube link below.
Funny stuff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MezVMZ2hg
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

cardo0 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:13 pm Try buying training on engine blueprinting somewhere. Good luck.
You sound bitter.
Blueprinting 101 consists of straight lines, round holes, flat surfaces, equal heights, volumes and weights.
This alone does wonders but taking it beyond this it becomes race engine building.

PS. there is a book or three on engine blueprinting out there.

Other than the trade schools mentioned if you believe a book or youtube is your road to riches I am afraid you will be disappointed.
However, getting a grasp on the 101 part and then actually doing it is a giant step forward.
Continue to read here clear back to the beginning and a lot of it will become clear or at least less murky.
Better yet start at the beginning post.
Then ask how to questions.
Or did I miss your whole point?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 pm
cardo0 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:13 pm Try buying training on engine blueprinting somewhere. Good luck.
You sound bitter.
Blueprinting 101 consists of straight lines, round holes, flat surfaces, equal heights, volumes and weights.
This alone does wonders but taking it beyond this it becomes race engine building.

PS. there is a book or three on engine blueprinting out there.

Other than the trade schools mentioned if you believe a book or youtube is your road to riches I am afraid you will be disappointed.
However, getting a grasp on the 101 part and then actually doing it is a giant step forward.
Continue to read here clear back to the beginning and a lot of it will become clear or at least less murky.
Better yet start at the beginning post.
Then ask how to questions.
Or did I miss your whole point?
"Books" these days are for dinasours...it's rare to find a young guy willing to actually spend the time to read a book...extremely rare

So it's online info for them...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

AERA has a decent online college level course that anyone can sign up for. The fess`s are $150 but that includes books and other study material. :D
it is fairly in depth and a good starter program for apprentices to take.
I have a young guy taking the course thats been here for a couple years wanting to learn the trade and he`s a millennial but he digs into problems and yes he does use the net for stuff but for a 22 year old he has his shit together and learns fast. =D>

And hes going to be a keeper I am sure
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Saddleback Community College had a few or maybe just 2 blueprinting classes as part of their ASM certification program and I had to move before I got classed up there. So there is some amount of acredidation for this. Just that life has to many left turns to complete something like this just for a hobby. But how much blueprinting is enough? Seems no end to what can be done for performance. To each's own on that.

As for Headbytes I did like his block fill/pour video as just reading about it I can see isn't enough. Yes some of his head porting seems contrary to what I expected but then again I have never ported heads let alone bench flow them so who am I on that? My impression is porting is quite a lot like welding and proficeincy is what makes a good port more so than just knowledge itself. Meaning someone porting for a living is gonna make better ports than a hobbiest. New heads have become much better just "as cast" let alone CNC ported leaving vintage heads as the bulk of the hand ported market. And I've met more than 1 head porter that had leave the trade because what it did to their hands over years of porting.

Don't know how bitter came from what I said. That's the most nonsense I've read here. Not trying to defend HB's but I have to wonder who is bashing with nothing to better it.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

I wondered if his cast iron welding held up ,, his videos are kinda funny ,, anyone smoking a cig while videoing and his smoke comes into view between his fingers ,, lol ,, he didn't own a flow bench ,, that amazed me ,, I have one and I just do a few things for friends but I want to ensure its result
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

I believe it was Andrew vizard who said that his writing were mandatory reading at high performance schooling facilities he has the how to series...
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Seems like I remember seeing Mr Headbytes work in a Pontiac magazine 25-30 years ago, and iirc there was mention of a custom flow bench, and he was flowing at like 15”.
I think it was an article on 670 heads.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

YOu can definitely tell he knows some stuff his and speards videos are both real good