Hydraulic lifter bleed down

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David_viny
Hydraulic lifter bleed down

Post by David_viny »

Is it common practice to check hydraulic lifter bleed down rates when building a high performance engine? Maybe at minimum buy extra and match them to make a set of similar bleed down rates?

I've never messed with it before, but after reading a bunch about hydraulic lifters it seems lifter bleed down would be a pretty significant factor in how the engine runs.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down

Post by PackardV8 »

The 1956 Packard V8 Shop Manual has a section detailing how to disassemble, clean, reassemble and test hydraulic lifter bleed down; there's a special plier-type tool to force the bleed down and how to determine if it meets specification.

If one builds a custom test bench and controls for oil viscosity, oil pressure, spring rate and RPM, then he might be able to produce a matched set which exactly meets the needs of a particular build.

In the real world, buying the best hydraulic lifters available is a better use of one's time.

(Can anyone else hear Joe Sherman calling from the great beyond, "Or just don't run a girly cam!"

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

David_viny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm Is it common practice to check hydraulic lifter bleed down rates when building a high performance engine?
No. Many people still mistakenly think the lifters are pumping up at high RPMs, and run anti-pump-up lifters, that actually have very high bleed rates.

Choice 1 for a high performance engine, is to not run hydraulic lifters.
Choice 2, is to run limited travel hydr lifters, so when they do bleed-down, they're only bleeding down .010"-.015".
Choice 3, is to lighten up the valvetrain as much as possible, so you can reduce the spring pressure, which will decrease the bleed-down rate.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Hydraulic lifter are for da Gurlie-Man...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

David_viny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm Is it common practice to check hydraulic lifter bleed down rates when building a high performance engine? Maybe at minimum buy extra and match them to make a set of similar bleed down rates?

I've never messed with it before, but after reading a bunch about hydraulic lifters it seems lifter bleed down would be a pretty significant factor in how the engine runs.
What is the application and what engine is in question??
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

CamKing wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:44 pm
David_viny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm Is it common practice to check hydraulic lifter bleed down rates when building a high performance engine?
No. Many people still mistakenly think the lifters are pumping up at high RPMs, and run anti-pump-up lifters, that actually have very high bleed rates.

Choice 1 for a high performance engine, is to not run hydraulic lifters.
Choice 2, is to run limited travel hydr lifters, so when they do bleed-down, they're only bleeding down .010"-.015".
Choice 3, is to lighten up the valvetrain as much as possible, so you can reduce the spring pressure, which will decrease the bleed-down rate.
Exactly!
Craig.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

^^^^^Ditto^^^^^
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Does any one particular vender tend to do better than the others? I've been hearing good things about Johnson limited-travel lately.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Just so I understand correctly a Rhodes lifter at idle and low RPM bleeds down guickly and the engine thinks it has a
Short duration camshaft.
Now As RPM increase to much higher RPM say 7000 the anti pump up lifter is actually
bleeding down even further making the engine think it has an even shorter duration camshaft and even less lift camshaft.

I don't know. I am one of those persons who "mistakenly thought that the lifter was pumping up at high RPM" simply
because that's what knowledgeable people told me.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The lifter can pump up when there is valve float that creates valvetrain separation at rpm..( Lack of spring force for control.)

The hyd lifter can also collapse at rpm when oil is forced out faster than it can refill at speed. (Excessive spring force and excessive lifter parts cleance)

The lifter can also become compressive if when air gets into the oil at rpm. (Oil airation (crankshaft))
Once the engine oil is infected with air it can take a long time to recover. Eg: over night.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

jed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am Just so I understand correctly a Rhodes lifter at idle and low RPM bleeds down guickly and the engine thinks it has a Short duration camshaft.
Now As RPM increase to much higher RPM say 7000 the anti pump up lifter is actually bleeding down even further making the engine think it has an even shorter duration camshaft and even less lift camshaft.
Completely inaccurate. Yes, the Rhodes, et al, have a calibrated orifice which at low RPM is sized to bleed off pressure as it is actuated by the cam lobe, thus minimizing the duration. No, you're not considering the time function. At 2,000 RPM, there's half as much time and at 6,000, 1/6th as much time per revolution. As RPM rises, the same orifice does not have as much time to bleed off pressure, so it more accurately produces the actual cam lift curve.
jed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 amI don't know. I am one of those persons who "mistakenly thought that the lifter was pumping up at high RPM" simply because that's what knowledgeable people told me.
It's semantics, but important. Lifters do pump up and hold the valve open, but it's the springs which caused that to happen. When the valve springs can no longer hold the lifter against the cam lobe, the hydraulic lifter goes, "WTF, now we got slack here. It's my job to keep things tight; gotta pump up to take up that slack."

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Jack Vines, as rpm increases there is also progressively LESS time for the lifter to refill with oil, from its leaked down, reduced valve duration- lift state when running at idle.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I floated the valves a couple of times in my Mom's '56 Dodge wagon (43 MPH in 1st, AIR) and it pumped up the lifters so badly the car wouldn't start for half an hour afterwards... :oops:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Like said above, a lifter will only pump up if you float the valves, and with today's spring pressures, that shouldn't happen.
As the RPMs increase, the forces pushing against the lifter also increase. At lower RPM's, the increase in oil pressure helps combat this, but as the RPM's increase, the added pressures start to collapse the lifter.
With Std Rhodes lifters, they bleed down even more at high RPM's then regular hydr lifters, that's why you need a longer duration cam with Rhodes lifters, to make the same peak HP.
The Rhodes V-Max lifters also bleed down, but since you set them .012"-.015" from bottomed out, they can only bleed down .012"-.015", and only lose a few degrees of duration.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:14 pm Jack Vines, as rpm increases there is also progressively LESS time for the lifter to refill with oil, from its leaked down, reduced valve duration- lift state when running at idle.
Unless you have a constant speed oil pump the volume and pressure should increase with RPM.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV