Block cleaning ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jred
Expert
Expert

Re: Block cleaning ?

Post by jred »

some guys run their oven 6/8 hours, I have a Peterson oven and run my blocks at 600 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours at night and leave and come back in the morning, the blocks are still hot maybe 150 degrees.

I've gotten to the point that I pretty much line-hone 90 plus percent all the blocks that I do, most everything that I do also gets bored and decked , washed again and prepped for cam bearing and freeze plugs.

I do a lot of older engines, and got tired of starting to assemble an engine a have problems with my new straight crank being tight in a line bore that's a little bit out of alignment ..

then having to line-hone and re-clean..

years ago I worked for a shop that used caustic soda in the jet wash and had lots of problems with not rinsing the block well enough, we had caustic bubble up out of the bolt holes a couple of days later,,

the cure that we used was a 55 gal barrel full of water and sodium silicate to neutralize the caustic soda,,

I would think that the temp of 600 plus degrees would burn off the sodium silicate but I can't say that I've had any problems with much distortion with cam bores and such seeing that we re-machine most everything else..
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

exhaustgases wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:55 pm I searched and nothing came up on the topic. I thought this was asked before. What are the thoughts on the various methods to clean them?
Does the high temperature (600 - 700 degrees F) method case any sort of distortion, does it harm cam bores or mainline, will it clean out sodium silicate?
Heat always causes distortion, but cast iron usually tolerates it well. Each day, a dozen block go through a rebuilder oven and none of them require work on the cam tunnel.

What is the application?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Norris Marshall

Post by Norris Marshall »

the oven wont damage an iron block. we have and continue to bake blocks everyday, hundreds of thousands, never have had distortion from the oven. (im speaking only of Bake off style ovens, not Burn off where an open flame is in play) I would be more concerned with what happens after the oven, is it going to be shot blasted or washed. Shot blasting can cause extra machining over what might otherwise be needed.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Class 8 truck. And then thinking about a rare engine block as well, and on it also can not have any machining other than just glaze breaking .
[/quote]

So what engine is it. Class 8 is not much of an answer.
But I have to ask why anything more then a dingle ball hone job is permitted?? Are there rules or is this deal a crate engine fix up??

I see some crate stuff that gets a piston replaced or head gaskets replaced with a light skim to the heads.

But unless you plan on changing the cam bearings a bake oven is not the best option to clean it.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:24 pm Class 8 truck. And then thinking about a rare engine block as well, and on it also can not have any machining other than just glaze breaking .
So what engine is it. Class 8 is not much of an answer.
But I have to ask why anything more then a dingle ball hone job is permitted?? Are there rules or is this deal a crate engine fix up??

I see some crate stuff that gets a piston replaced or head gaskets replaced with a light skim to the heads.

But unless you plan on changing the cam bearings a bake oven is not the best option to clean it.

[/quote]

Regardless of brand, all Class 8 truck engines are wet sleeves.