Unstable ignition timing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Unstable ignition timing

Post by In-Tech »

Good info Kevin,
on a side note, I have seen alternators that charge fine but introduce so much rf that the block and/or stainless braided lines will be above 0v and cause all kinds of issues we cannot see without a scope. I've measured + AND - voltages in the 120v range on a 12v system. A good cap pretty much is a fixall and I put one on every engine I build now, especially where a msd type box is installed.

Here's one I use all the time, albeit the size of an ignition coil overkill, I don't care. :mrgreen:
https://www.tedss.com/catalog/details/2020004815
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Unstable ignition timing

Post by BOOT »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm This past Summer I had two separate issues with cables and CNC machines that took a while to sort out.

The first involved a Molex plug that had intermittent poor contact (data loss) while the stepper motor was active. I learned that the plugs have an engineering rating for how many times they can be disconnected and reconnected (30 max). The manufacturer of the machine was unaware of this rating and I would not have exceeded it save that I had rebuilt the bushings for the drives many times over 15 years. A new plug and pins solved the problem.

The second involved a brand new USB cable that did not have sufficient shielding and/or some sort of defect in the molded end of the plug. A new replacement solved that problem.

As your equipment is integral or associated with a dyno it is likely that any plugs have been re-used (too) many times?

I hope you are able to sort out what is wrong.
Good to know!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!