Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: before/after 383 dyno results

Post by randy331 »

ClassAct wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm
randy331 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm
CGT wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am I was just running your flows through Rick's Curtain area program, very pronounced increase in window DC at all lifts.
Is an increase in window DC always good ?
No limit to it ?
What else will you trade for an increase in window DC ?

Randy

And we're off!!!!!! I'd love to hear the answers to the questions you ask.
It will be mostly opinions. Very few (if any) have done enough testing to validate and KNOW the answers to those questions.
I have my opinions too and like to see good DC, but I can't say when the ideal trade offs are.

Randy
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

So what exactly is DC. It nothing more than a ratio of cfm per sq inch. So why do we need a ratio when we can just look at cfm per sq inch? Because the same head when flowed at different depressions will show a different cfm per sq inch, yet their dc will be the same.

So how does a change in valve seat angle change dc? It does this in 2 way. First at any given valve lift it will change the effective curtain area. Higher angles decrease the effective curtain area and smaller angles increase the effective curtain area. Second you will see a change in flow. Now based on what happens to each of these we can see either an increase or a decrease in DC. So while it is possible to see a DC of greater than 1 in different places (I will leave that for another post) a DC of 1 is theoretically max.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

steve cowan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:15 pm Why would they do this sort of valve job when they must know it not the normal,
Surly a 45 deg 3 angle VJ would outway a radius on the intake and produce a better product out of the box??
More low lift flowz. Uninformed consumers believe that's what they want, cause they heard it somewhere.
Heads are hard to sell if they don't flow a lot.
CFM sells.

CGT's heads on SN have very poor low lift flowz, it still seems to run,...well,... OK. LOL

Randy
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

randy331 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 pm
steve cowan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:15 pm Why would they do this sort of valve job when they must know it not the normal,
Surly a 45 deg 3 angle VJ would outway a radius on the intake and produce a better product out of the box??
More low lift flowz. Uninformed consumers believe that's what they want, cause they heard it somewhere.
CFM sells.

CGT's heads on SN have very poor low lift flowz, it still seems to run,...well,... OK. LOL

Randy
Randy,
i was reading some old threads last night from 2005,
Curtis Boggs,Darin Morgan,Larry meaux,Rick,Bill Jones,
EVERYONE SAID-
RADIUS SEATS DO NOT WORK AND DO NOT MAKE POWER (quote)
that was the general consensus then and seems nothing has changed in 2019,this is for a 2 valve performance type cylinder head not a turbo 4 valve 4 banger thing a ma jig.
As you have shown before with cylinder heads some valve jobs are reasonable from the manufacture,must be fun for the guys in the industry to say to the customer your new cylinder heads need a valve job,sorry about off topic :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

randy331 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 pm
CFM sells.

Randy
Randy, can you please not use that word?

Or maybe we can get them to put a filter on that word like the filter on cuss words or the filter on the most hated man at speedtalk's name {shrug}

That would stop it cold.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Sticks and stones spitting chips
World is too soft
There she FLOWZ!!!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

makin chips wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:50 am Randy, can you please not use that word?

Or maybe we can get them to put a filter on that word like the filter on cuss words or the filter on the most hated man at speedtalk's name {shrug}

That would stop it cold.
Do you really think that the disdain for said person and his self proclaimed mastery over the years is limited to speedtalk??? :lol: ….I'll give you a hint...its not.

So as a means of diplomacy I will try to help you with something that you seem to be so obviously struggling with.

FLOWZ: Slang for the plural of flows. FLOWZ: A speedalk derived word of currently unknow origin, used to describe the plurarility of a cylinder head valve lift curve as measured on a flow bench.

Example: Hey Tim, I heard you recently purchased some Vee funkeder heads. I've heard they will move air all the way to 2 inches of lift and contain a lot of "bowl" . Have you verified the dimensions and the FLOWZ that are claimed on your own bench?
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Maybe the PC spelling is actually “flowzz”

Speaking of radiused intake seats and low lift flowzz....... what about when you retain the 45* seat, replace the radius with a couple angles....... and the low lift flowzz actual go up?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Maybe Randy thinkz that'z the way it'z spelled. :D
Jim
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

PRH wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am Maybe the PC spelling is actually “flowzz”

Speaking of radiused intake seats and low lift flowzz....... what about when you retain the 45* seat, replace the radius with a couple angles....... and the low lift flowzz actual go up?

Which direction did you measure the flow? I don't care if low lift flow goes up in the forward direction as long as it doesn't go up in the reverse direction. If low lift flow goes up both directions it's a power loser every single time.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Maybe he worked at Sheetz in the past....like fryz or shmuffin...lol.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

So have I got this right? The heads are better, the engine makes more HP and the car runs the more barbs and zingers someone posts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 pm
PRH wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am Maybe the PC spelling is actually “flowzz”

Which direction did you measure the flow? I don't care if low lift flow goes up in the forward direction as long as it doesn't go up in the reverse direction. If low lift flow goes up both directions it's a power loser every single time.
I didn’t reverse flow them, before or after.
In fact, the last set I reworked didn’t get a “before” flow test at all.
They were here for their 3rd valve job/freshening.

But, the lower lift flowz after the rework were a bit higher than what I’ve seen for any new ootb pair that had the radius intake seat.

I guess i’ll just have to see what happens on the dyno.
Last edited by PRH on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Stan Weiss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 pm So have I got this right? The heads are better, the engine makes more HP and the car runs the more barbs and zingers someone posts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stan
No. That only works with bold colorful font using very mediocre grammar skills and no dyno sheets.... just theory
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Grown-ass men, huh.