before/after 383 dyno results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: before/after 383 dyno results

Post by Orr89rocz »

Would be Interesting to try ms109. High oxygenation and bit lower octane than q16 so should be better suited
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 pm Would be Interesting to try ms109. High oxygenation and bit lower octane than q16 so should be better suited
Unleaded? I believe that is the spec fuel for the Race Engine Challenge.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Some of the puller guys around here use the VP113 for an oxygenated fuel.

As per VP:
An oxygenated fuel formulated for naturally aspirated engines with CR up to 14:1. Offering substantial power gains at a competitive price versus a non-oxygenated fuel. May require a tuning change for optimum performance.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

randy331 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 pm
PRH wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:40 pm Sunoco 110 is “Standard”, right? Standard is purple.

What gaz did you use for the first test session?

Will it be the same for the next test?
Yes, standard is purple and that's what the local track has but his pump says Supreme. Supreme is blue.
We used VP blue on the first session and we will use it again. It's what Joe keeps there.
I may bring some Sunoco 112 to make a pull or 2 just to see if there's any difference.
He tried some Q16 in the car, so he'd try that if I wanted.

Randy
VP Blue?
C16?
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

VP blue is C12.
VP blue is a spec fuel for some dirt classes in the north east is what vp tells me.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm Which one is getting dyno'd first? Or all on the same trip?
Big Block Chevy on sat. Joe was busy all week, but said he'd be there sat anyway so brring it then.
Hated to ask for a second one on Sunday.

Randy
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

randy331 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 pm VP blue is C12.
VP blue is a spec fuel for some dirt classes in the north east is what vp tells me.

Randy
DIrt specs VP D-12 as their spec fuel for BB modifieds. It's dyed yellow though, not green like the C-12 is here. According to VP, it's the same fuel, just a different color per Dirt's request.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Apparently C-12 is available dyed in a variety of different colors according to the VP site.

To avoid confusion, seems like it’s best to specify exactly what the fuel requirement/what you’re using is by something other than its color.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Dyno testing order ??

What to test in what order?

Cam can be advanced some so that's in play. Can't move it a lot, but a few deg forward.

Got his headers and I'd like to try Joe's smaller dyno headers.

In general, those that dyno, what order do you test, and what could you see from some tests to make you change your testing order?

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

thedynoguy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Randy
DIrt specs VP D-12 as their spec fuel for BB modifieds. It's dyed yellow though, not green like the C-12 is here. According to VP, it's the same fuel, just a different color per Dirt's request.
Blue came about back when VP started sponsoring NHRA, C12 was one of the spec NHRA fuels so they jacked the price up to recover their sponsorship money... They started selling undied C12 as Blue at the normal price $60.00 less per drum for local people, the same happened with M-1, the lower cost version is now labeled Racing Methanol but is the same fuel thats why you don't see them on their site.

Another one of their unknown fuels out this year is RT105... It is a lower cost leaded 105 that may not be available everywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

jetting, timing, lash, carb spacers, headers. Then cam timing changes and repeat as necessary...
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

thedynoguy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Randy
You forgot D113 and D12 are both spec fuels for BB
D109 is for SB
D98 is for crates

Tom
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:06 pm Dyno testing order ??
Put data in a sim and hit enter?
randy331 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:06 pm Got his headers and I'd like to try Joe's smaller dyno headers.
Joe's small headers really aren't all that small though, lol. But It sounds like they are smaller than the headers that go with the car. That is one of the many things I'd like to purchase for testing, a small diameter, small collector, set of dyno headers to test with up there.

That was dawning on me when dynoing project Dale. 1.875-2.00 3.5" collector , isn't that what the smallest dyno header there is? Anyway, I think Dale would have run better with a smaller header on it but who knows. Have you considered trying Ricks tri-y's on it? I also have my Chevelle headers you could try if they fit the dyno. They are 1.75, 32ish long 3 inch collector.
randy331 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:06 pm Cam can be advanced some so that's in play. Can't move it a lot, but a few deg forward.
I figured you would have similar or more valve to piston clearance after you were done? Sunk valves, wider lsa, slower lobes. Did the rocker ratio aggravate it, or is it on the exhaust side? Also, your welcome to try my 1050 on it if you want.

Find best timing, get the AFR in the ball park. Play with cam position some, headers and spacer plates, maybe lash.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I usually do the timing and carb first....... since if the carb is off it can eat up quite a bit of time sorting it out.
(Actually, I prefer to start out with one of my own carbs that I know won’t have any weird fuel curve issues. Get the timing set with my carb, then swap to the customers carb....... then revisit the timing after you’re happy with the customers carb).

I’d use the car headers first, and tune the customer carb with those on the motor.

Swapping the headers would be left as one of the last things, since they won’t be the same as what’s used in the car(unless there are plans to replace them if the current ones are leaving some real power on the table).

As for the cam, I’d have put it at 106-107 to start with, and felt like that was a pretty safe bet on something that should work well.
Then if we ran out of time and didn’t get a chance to move it, I’d be okay with it.

I guess I’m saying, I’d put it where you think it will be “best” to start with.
Last edited by PRH on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_Screenshot_20190320-134546.jpg
You can try these if i have them finished in time. Its turning in to quite a project :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.