General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: before/after 383 dyno results

Post by CGT »

[attachment=0]5748009011.jpg[/attachmen

Unrelated but: An engine I built circa 2000 headed to dyno..look at all the room i had left over for more carbs and adapters. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Any thoughts as to why this 13.1 engine was no better than your 11.1 Fast Burn head 383?

Some of this info would be more easy to compare with actual dyno sheet vs a graph or just numbers on a spread sheet but then again I am just repeating what you guys say.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 pm [attachment=0]5748009011.jpg[/attachmen

Unrelated but: An engine I built circa 2000 headed to dyno..look at all the room i had left over for more carbs and adapters. :roll:
Looks like it might have very limited hood clearance ...
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

PRH wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:10 pm Was the cam moved at all?
From where to where?
Did it help or hurt?

I can’t remember, did it have a vacuum pump on it before?

Any more thoughts on why it needed 48* timing before?
The cam was moved. Advanced it 3* from 110* to 107 and it was a very small loss. I felt safest as far as valve to piston clearance at 108.5, so that's where it went after moving it and where it currently is.

It had no vacuum pump on it before, but he was ok with the cost, so it does now. Looks like head work and cam change, .020" tighter quench, and lower tension oil rings was worth about 80-85 of the HP. Q16 and vacuum was the rest.

The previous need for 48* was a combination of things. Piston to head (quench) too much, retarded radiused intake seats, the 105 LSA cam, too big of header to make the other problems worse. It ex residue in the intake manifold. EGR increases the needed timing.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm I was hoping you could tell me since you and Rick spec my buildz. I would guess somewhere in the 30hp range.
Well,.... don't remember doin lotz of specin for you,.... well,... other than specin breakfast at Zadocks that one time.

Randy
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

CGT...how did that engine work out with the TR and 2bbls? I've always wanted to try a set up like that because it would seem to me like it would reap the benefits of the better intake entry the TR has and you wont need jet extensions...lol.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 pm
PRH wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:10 pm Was the cam moved at all?
From where to where?
Did it help or hurt?

I can’t remember, did it have a vacuum pump on it before?

Any more thoughts on why it needed 48* timing before?
The cam was moved. Advanced it 3* from 110* to 107 and it was a very small loss. I felt safest as far as valve to piston clearance at 108.5, so that's where it went after moving it and where it currently is.

It had no vacuum pump on it before, but he was ok with the cost, so it does now. Looks like head work and cam change, .020" tighter quench, and lower tension oil rings was worth about 80-85 of the HP. Q16 and vacuum was the rest.

The previous need for 48* was a combination of things. Piston to head (quench) too much, retarded radiused intake seats, the 105 LSA cam, too big of header to make the other problems worse. It ex residue in the intake manifold. EGR increases the needed timing.

Randy
What was the fuel and vacuum worth each?

Can you post the dyno sheets showing each of these changes so we can evaluate what you did?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I looked back through the posts and found the original cam specs...was the new cam posted? I could not find it.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

cgarb wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 pm I looked back through the posts and found the original cam specs...was the new cam posted? I could not find it.
page 22 for new lobes
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

randy331 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 pm
steve cowan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 pm Randy,
can you give me your opinion on the brodix heads,we talked about the valve job previously but how did you find them to work "on",meaning CSA averages,seat concentric to the stems?,i know you did a valve job etc looking more for a comment saying they are poor-fair-good etc :D
i am curious on how the engine owners response was for the good gains,i understand the owner has spent the money but some people dont get the gains they think they should get.
a 383 sbc that makes great torque and 660-670hp
wish i had that lol
They are a decent head. If one is buying heads and wanting a wider pushrod area I'd buy the track 1 x head instead of welding it up like I did. They run good too, but need shaft rockers. But he had these headz.. so we used them.

My opinion is, the choice of porters and what is done to the heads is more important than which head, as far as which 23* head.

I'll limit that to the usa made stuff at least.

If you want a 383 like this one, copy it. I'll tell you exactly what it has in it.
Just need to copy that port too.

Randy
Randy,
that would be great,
we can talk later on when the time arises :D
steve c
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

GARY C wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm Any thoughts as to why this 13.1 engine was no better than your 11.1 Fast Burn head 383?

Some of this info would be more easy to compare with actual dyno sheet vs a graph or just numbers on a spread sheet but then again I am just repeating what you guys say.
apples to oranges comparison in my opinion-
13.1 engine budget and time restraints and needed to reuse some parts.
700 hp 11.1 engine- 50 pages of information on this forum :D
steve c
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm
cgarb wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 pm I looked back through the posts and found the original cam specs...was the new cam posted? I could not find it.
page 22 for new lobes
Thanks...I was looking too far back.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm Any thoughts as to why this 13.1 engine was no better than your 11.1 Fast Burn head 383?

apples to oranges comparison in my opinion-
13.1 engine budget and time restraints and needed to reuse some parts.
700 hp 11.1 engine- 50 pages of information on this forum :D
Thats why I asked, taking some time to read through the old post I am not seeing anything that would make an 11.1 engine produce more power than a 13.1...

Fast burn heads better to start with? extra things done that are not obvious? combination of the head and intake on 1 vs the other mo happy together?
Please Note!
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

GARY C wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 pm What was the fuel and vacuum worth each?

Can you post the dyno sheets showing each of these changes so we can evaluate what you did?
Here is the data. Sorry for the poor resolution. My crayon is dull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »