older style heads fitted on 96LT1 block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cardo0

Re: older style heads fitted on 96LT1 block

Post by cardo0 »

gmrocket wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:12 am
That's what part of the block conversion is about, using a gen 1 belt driven water pump . As well as heads

You'll have to modify the cast cover to use a double roller or maybe use the sheet metal gen 1 cover modified to fit the different bolt pattern
Well the version I'm interested in would be using the Gen II heads on a Gen II block such that the trapizoide block holes would need to become the return for/to the radiator. That would allow a belt driven w/p but now I think it would be easier to just use an electric w/p in a Gen II housing and install a electric fan for cooling airflow. I think you covered it well enough in your conversion for me to see this now.

I still would like to know which areas of a double roller are contacting the timing cover? I planned to use a DR even more so now that your Clyotes failed. I've seen some pics of a double roller on a Gen II block before and after the cover was installed so I would like to know more.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

cardo0 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm
gmrocket wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:12 am
That's what part of the block conversion is about, using a gen 1 belt driven water pump . As well as heads

You'll have to modify the cast cover to use a double roller or maybe use the sheet metal gen 1 cover modified to fit the different bolt pattern
Well the version I'm interested in would be using the Gen II heads on a Gen II block such that the trapizoide block holes would need to become the return for/to the radiator. That would allow a belt driven w/p but now I think it would be easier to just use an electric w/p in a Gen II housing and install a electric fan for cooling airflow. I think you covered it well enough in your conversion for me to see this now.

I still would like to know which areas of a double roller are contacting the timing cover? I planned to use a DR even more so now that your Clyotes failed. I've seen some pics of a double roller on a Gen II block before and after the cover was installed so I would like to know more.
i tried to fit just the cam gear of a double roller and its a no go,,the cover sticks out about 3/16 to 1/4 from the block butting up against the gear. this is the cast aluminum cover. maybe the plastic timing cover is different? or you might be able to clearance the backside of the cast cover where the gear contacts its.

when i get back at it ill check it again,,this will be fine with a single ,its a low rpm boat motor

cloyes is sending us a true single roller, their race version. for the same cost as this one...great service.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: Gen 1 top end on Gen 2 block

Post by gmrocket »

got the replacement single race roller from cloyes..they replaced the whole street roller nc..told us to chuck the other in the garbage. waiting on valve springs and p rods. but its all ready to be bolted together. will be using the gen 1 steel shims to keep comp at 10.15

gen 1 top end, water pump and dizzy on gen 2 block. all the original stuff was cast iron..big weight savings

going with a Comp XR270HR-10 270/276 218/224 110 in at 108 .495"/.502"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Looks like it's ready for business and congratulations.

So I've looked into the timing set clearance issue talking with someone that is running a double roller and my favorite repair shop also. I'm getting the impression the early Gen II timing covers with the little spline shaft driven Opti/distributor has more clearance than the later '95-'97 pin driven Opti timing covers. That's just my observation so far and I'm glad I have both to choose from. :). There are aftermarket timing covers for Gen II blocks but man they are expensive.

But on the other hand how much wear/slack does a single roller set give up to a double roller set? Piece of mind mostly while I think both are a big advantage over that stock junk with the w/p gear cut into it.

Rows of Gen II block cars at the boneyards for now. Another 5 years and they will be getting much harder to find. Won't be nearly as much fun once they become more expensive. Good to read you have made fast progress in your conversion project.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

cardo0 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm Looks like it's ready for business and congratulations.

So I've looked into the timing set clearance issue talking with someone that is running a double roller and my favorite repair shop also. I'm getting the impression the early Gen II timing covers with the little spline shaft driven Opti/distributor has more clearance than the later '95-'97 pin driven Opti timing covers. That's just my observation so far and I'm glad I have both to choose from. :). There are aftermarket timing covers for Gen II blocks but man they are expensive.

But on the other hand how much wear/slack does a single roller set give up to a double roller set? Piece of mind mostly while I think both are a big advantage over that stock junk with the w/p gear cut into it.

Rows of Gen II block cars at the boneyards for now. Another 5 years and they will be getting much harder to find. Won't be nearly as much fun once they become more expensive. Good to read you have made fast progress in your conversion project.
the single roller from cloyes is about 75% as wide as a double roller...so i think its more than up to the task.

we thought about converting to a different cover ..but the bolt pattern is different also, so it was easier an cleaner to just epoxy two aluminum plugs into this cover.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Nice to hear you received stellar service from Cloyes. Congrats on getting that thing pieced together and working. Been looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. Congrats again!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

gmrocket wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm
cardo0 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm Looks like it's ready for business and congratulations.

the single roller from cloyes is about 75% as wide as a double roller...so i think its more than up to the task.

we thought about converting to a different cover ..but the bolt pattern is different also, so it was easier an cleaner to just epoxy two aluminum plugs into this cover.
A recent thread here discussed the single row timing set...seems most agreed that a single works fine but a double sells better.

This is a neat thread... hard to imagine SBC Chevy guys not being able to whip out their plastic and order anything from anywhere.

Might just cause some consternation in bowtie land...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

should be running in a few days. its gonna get thru hull exhaust next
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Looks really close to running. Nice effort!

I don't recognize the carb though?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

cardo0 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 pm Looks really close to running. Nice effort!

I don't recognize the carb though?
It's the original mercruiser version of the 750 carter. Same as the edelbrock #1410
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

got it running...going out for a test run this weekend

cant load a short 6 sec video though?
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

How did the LT1 conversion work out? Last post was its running. Any cooling problems or power results?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

cardo0 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm How did the LT1 conversion work out? Last post was its running. Any cooling problems or power results?
it runs like a champ! my son is thrilled with the power,,it will actually blow the 4 blade stainless prop right into cavitation if you just nail it from a dead stop.. so he has to ease into it gradually. it does a true 64 gps mph hour now. thats with a 4 blade and only turning about 4800. the thru hull really messed up the carb..until we got it dialed it..sounds fantastic. ill try to load some vids of it running

in the spring we will be testing props to get it into the 5200 to 5300 range where i think it makes max power. also a 3 blade speed prop for some speed runs 8)
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Awesome! Congrats.