Let's discuss GM's new RUMORED Big Block reintroduction!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tt 383
Expert
Expert

Re: Let's discuss GM's new RUMORED Big Block reintroduction!

Post by tt 383 »

All the way back in 99-2000? Seems to be when I remember it going from cheaper to more expensive in Pa. Trucks sitting being defaulted on, transport cost went crazy.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

68post wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm
gnicholson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm not to get off topic but i would love someone to explain why diesel is .75 to a buck more a gallon than gasoline. is it really all the results of the commodities market? they would sure use a lot less fuel in this country if they would encourage diesel use
The claim is that all of the extra refining to remove the remaining sulphur (ULSD) is what drove the cost beyond gasoline.
And then, if not mistaken, they had to add back a bit of 100 percent pure soy biodiesel to improve lubricity that the removed sulfur provided. I want to say a percent or two?

pdq67
68post

Post by 68post »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 pm
68post wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm
gnicholson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm not to get off topic but i would love someone to explain why diesel is .75 to a buck more a gallon than gasoline. is it really all the results of the commodities market? they would sure use a lot less fuel in this country if they would encourage diesel use
The claim is that all of the extra refining to remove the remaining sulphur (ULSD) is what drove the cost beyond gasoline.
And then, if not mistaken, they had to add back a bit of 100 percent pure soy biodiesel to improve lubricity that the removed sulfur provided. I want to say a percent or two?

pdq67
If they were I wasn't privy to know, I just added a dose of TW3 (?) Marine 2-cycle oil (approx 12 - 14 yrs ago).
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

When are they going to announce the new big block hemi for RAM trucks ?

:)
Ed
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

emsvitil wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:00 pm When are they going to announce the new big block hemi for RAM trucks ?

:)
GM? I doubt ever.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

How big do you think Dodge could go in bore and stroke in the old Viper engine design in a V-8 configuration. That seemed to be a decent OHV pushrod design?

Not sure if they sold that tooling and what not to Ilmor?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Have seen advertising from one source on the gen3 having 577-605 packages. Just under 10 liters. The 605 was huge bore and thin walls...
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

The new GM gasoline truck engine is 6.6L, based on LS architecture. Cast iron block, aluminum heads, forged steel crankshaft and 10.8:1 compression. This engine will be available with the GM-manufactured 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission. (available in the 2020 model year)
GM Duramax engine will be available with a ten-speed automatic transmission supplied by Allison.
Ford will have a new 7.3L gasoline engine, the largest available in this class of trucks (class 3 - 5)

Information from SAE International AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING Magazine, March 2019 issue.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Bill, that was information released about 6 months ago to describe the larger 6.6LLT1-5 direct injected engine that GM has been offering in the 6.2L size in the trucks since 2014.

This current rumor about a larger big block has been said to be an engine larger than 8.0 liter and as a rumor who knows might just be a marketing ploy to counter Fords, new 7.3L release.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Bill, that was information released about 6 months ago to describe the larger 6.6LLT1-5 direct injected engine that GM has been offering in the 6.2L size in the trucks since 2014.

This current rumor about a larger big block has been said to be an engine larger than 8.0 liter and as a rumor who knows might just be a marketing ploy to counter Fords, new 7.3L release.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Bill, that was information released about 6 months ago to describe the larger 6.6 LT1- direct injected engine that GM has been offering in the 5.3L L83 and 6.2L L86 size in the trucks since 2014. It is just a stroked 6.2L L86 DI engine of the LT family.

I hope that maybe GM puts their genius caps on and does do something larger than 6.6L that will also be a simpler design than these new DI offerings.

We will all pretty much become Missourian's "Show Me" when it comes to automotive rumors. To many internet online publications today trying to build readership by throwing rumors against the wall like mud hoping some may stick. Some of these types could not tell a fuel injector from a spark plug!

What's that other great saying, "IF YOU CAN'T DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE, THEN BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLSHIT"!! :lol:
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am How big do you think Dodge could go in bore and stroke in the old Viper engine design in a V-8 configuration. That seemed to be a decent OHV pushrod design?

Not sure if they sold that tooling and what not to Ilmor?
Chrysler Viper V10 was(is?) based on the Chrysler LA engine. It was a Magnum 5.9L with 2 extra cylinders and a stroke of 3.88" instead of stock stock LA engine spec of 3.58" At this point, I'm not sure what the bore and stroke of the most recent Viper engine is, but I'm fairly certain it is still based on the basic design. Didn't ever hear about them re-engineering the engine in the middle of its lifespan or anything so, AFAIK, it's still LA-based.

So a bored and stroked 5.9L Magnum is what you're envisioning, basically. A 408 stroker. Current architecture is 4.055x3.96 or 8.4L. Do the math to figure cylinder volume and subtract 2 cylinders, you end up at 408/6.7L V8 from a 8.4L V10(.84Lx8 cyls=6.72L or about 409.2ci)